The Official Good Television Thread

Yeah, the solution of the case doesn't really matter to me as much as the show's commentary on the nature of "investigation."

I think what Cohle means when he says that "nothing in this world is ever solved" is that even the act of investigation is only ever a narrative process; that is, detectives concern themselves with disparate events and clues and construct a narrative whole based on these atomic parts. The entire series is more of a comment on the nature of storytelling than anything else.

That said, I'm still enthralled by exactly what "Carcosa" signifies in this apparently familial cult. The old woman asks Cohle if he's "been to Carcosa," and tells him something about "he who eats time." The weird/cosmic horror imagery has been incredibly prevalent throughout the series, and I'm still optimistic that it will deliver the goods on that front. We'll get at least a glimpse into the cosmic abyss.

This is guy is real fuckin good haha Does an almost perfect Rust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKcUdDWIHOI#t=11

:lol::lol:

Glad to see all of the True Detective discussion. I do think the rampant theorizing on the internet is a little excessive, albeit fun to engage in. In my opinion, the heart of the show is, as Ein said in some way, the nature of investigation and the toll it takes on those that become obsessed with imposing a neat narrative on the inherently chaotic nature of the world. I'm much more interested into the progression of mental and physical decrepitude of the show's two main points of study, Rust and Marty. I think back to that line in the first episode about Rust contemplating his own crucifixion, and I can't help but think that the entire 17-year spiral into the madness of Carcosa (whoever mentioned Carcosa as being a deficient, elusive state of mind is spot on) can be seen as a prolonged act of self-flagellation. Marty isn't too far behind. There was a brief shot in the last episode of him sitting down to a TV dinner in front of the TV that really illuminates just how far he has fallen, and the case almost certainly had a lot to do with that.

Anyway, I'm sad that it will be over in a few days, but it's full of potential for re-viewings and retrospective analysis.

I thought that True Detective forced a bit of a "conversion" at the end; not a huge fan of that quite as much. I thought it was really well-paced though, and the tension in the climax was palpable.

I was also a big fan of Marty's vision in Carcosa. That was phenomenal.

I have to let it sit for a while before saying more.

I was also a big fan of Marty's vision in Carcosa. That was phenomenal.

You mean Rust's vision in Carcosa, right?
I interpreted it as the "Eternity" he was talking about outside of our space-time when he was explaining m theory.

I thought that True Detective forced a bit of a "conversion" at the end; not a huge fan of that quite as much. I thought it was really well-paced though, and the tension in the climax was palpable.

The writer explained it saying that Rust is expressing that optimism is no more necessarily an illusion than pessimism.

I'm on to Cosmos right now.

Did anybody watch the premiere of "Cosmos?" I was thoroughly satisfied with the exposition of what is to come in later episodes.

I thought it was a fucking fantastic introduction to the new series. Nobody can expect the likeable charm that Sagan brought to the original, but Tyson exemplifies perfectly the modern, high-tech visualizations and ideas we have available today. Something about the dude has just always screamed 'modern' to me.

Overall very different as expected, but possibly will prove itself equally stimulating. I thought it was a visual masterpiece and great for an introduction, will certainly be watching weekly.

You mean Rust's vision in Carcosa, right?
I interpreted it as the "Eternity" he was talking about outside of our space-time when he was explaining m theory.

I do mean Rust. Thanks.

That seems to be a good explanation. I also really just love the way they introduced that vision, as Rust turns away from whatever we'll call the object in the center of the room - "altar," perhaps. Then that vision just slowly emerges from the details of the surrounding lair. I thought it was tasteful.

There was absolutely a "holiest of holies" feel to Carcosa's inner circle. It recalls the First Temple erected by Solomon, who committed idolatry (which led to the disintegration of the kingdom of Judea).

The writer explained it saying that Rust is expressing that optimism is no more necessarily an illusion than pessimism.

I like that explanation. I just wish the dialogue had been a bit different. Only my personal opinion.

There was absolutely a "holiest of holies" feel to Carcosa's inner circle. It recalls the First Temple erected by Solomon, who committed idolatry (which led to the disintegration of the kingdom of Judea).

I love this. We need more of this!

I also really just love the way they introduced that vision, as Rust turns away from whatever we'll call the object in the center of the room - "altar," perhaps. Then that vision just slowly emerges from the details of the surrounding lair. I thought it was tasteful.

It's the spiral man! In 4d!

The altar, imho, is the yellow king and/or a symbol of the yellow king.

Rewatching TD right now. I can tell it's going to be a great rewatch as it's just completely soaked and bound up in Semiotics.

I wonder if Cohle saw him in an earlier episode, remember when he says that at the hospital?(I think)--I'm definitely going to look out for that part

If you mean the killer, Cohle did encounter him earlier. Third episode; he was mowing the lawn of the abandoned school. You couldn't see his scars because he had a beard covering them.

EDIT: Jimmy ninja'd me.

Hashed this out in the past hour. A long post, I know; but there are some other nerds here like me, so I hope it's not too irksome. :cool: It's too short and haphazard for the blog (I need to spend more time on a post for that), so I figured I'd just see what the crowd here thinks.

"Who is Errol Childress?"

There have been some complaints about the conclusion to HBO’s True Detective regarding the enigmatic killer. Some have asked for more background information while others argue that he is nothing more than a redneck stereotype; an inbred backwoods type of figure. I disagree on both counts; that is, I think that Childress is much more than a redneck stereotype, and I don’t think that his backstory is left entirely in the dark. The clues are all there for us, if we feel the desire to piece them together into a narrative of our own.

First and foremost, Errol Childress is not a stereotypical dumb redneck: he is a polymath, likely self-educated (as suggested by the piles of books and other textual materials in his house), and he clearly has a significant knowledge of literature – specifically Robert Chambers’s The King in Yellow but likely Ambrose Bierce as well, fiction writer and documenter of the Civil War (who also happened to coin the name “Carcosa”). Furthermore, his dialogue makes it clear that his education extends beyond merely fiction. He speaks in accents, particularly British, after watching Hitchcock’s North By Northwest (a film which he appears to be interested in at a level beyond mere entertainment). It’s true that imitating accents does not necessarily qualify a high degree of intelligence; but Errol doesn’t merely imitate the dialogue he hears in the film. He adopts the entire dialect of British culture, down to its colloquialisms; and he does not playact a role in this accent, but communicates his own intentions and behaviors through this accent: “It’s been weeks since I left my mark,” he tells his half-sister.

Furthermore, Errol also speaks the following line (also in a British accent): “My ascension removes me from the disc in the loop”; or something similar to this. The content of the quote evokes the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche as well as the cyclic framework of Buddhist Saṃsāra; Errol’s removal might be discerned as a vague reference to Buddhist enlightenment. However, Nietzsche is one of the most striking anti-Enlightenment figures of Western thought. Not only does Errol’s comment conjure the specters of eternal recurrence, but it also might suggest that he is educated in both Western and Eastern philosophies.

In addition to his British accent, he also speaks in what appears to be a childish whimper when he beckons his sister to sit on his lap. When Rust chases him through Carcosa, he speaks in an entirely new, and utterly terrifying, register; and if we can recall Rust’s very first encounter with him (mowing the lawn of the abandoned school in the third episode), we might remember that he speaks in a very normal and approachable tone in that scene. In multiple cases, Errol appears to know more than he lets on, fluctuating so as to adapt to the situation and professing his own intentions in impressively nuanced language.

Finally, with regards to his self-education, there is the erection of Carcosa itself, which functions as an inverse – perhaps we can say perverted – instantiation of Solomon’s Temple. The Yellow King itself sits in the center, in the Holy of Holies, both the embodiment of a ruler as well as a shrine, or altar. Coincidental, perhaps; but perhaps Errol was educated in the Old Testament as well, and constructed Carcosa as a gothic double to Solomon’s Temple. Solomon, like Errol, began practicing idolatry, which resulted in the disunion of the Kingdom of Judea. If Errol constructed Carcosa with this mind, it signals not only that he possesses knowledge of Solomon’s Temple, but also interprets a connection between the Carcosa of Chambers’s and Bierce’s weird fiction and the Second Temple. Everywhere throughout the final episode, Errol’s knowledge reveals itself.

Finally, to wrap up this brief conjecture, Errol is not the Yellow King. The Yellow King, as far as we are concerned, is the altar in the center of Carcosa; but it is also someone else. The Yellow King is Sam Tuttle. Another complaint making its way across the internet is that viewers wanted more of the conspiracy to be revealed – either Rust and Marty discover them, or they bring down their wrath upon the hapless detectives. Neither happens; but in my opinion, neither would happen, and for a very particular reason.

The videotape recovered from Billy Tuttle’s safe depicts the rape of Marie Fontenot taking place in what appears to be Carcosa. This is never specified, and the details of the tape are not enough to give a definitive location (that we are shown). However, even if the murder did take place in Carcosa, there is also no definitive evidence that Errol participated in that ritualistic rape and killing. Perhaps he did. Perhaps he didn’t. Ultimately, we know that there are more perpetrators involved – the Sprawl, as Rust calls it. Nobody else from the family is caught, even if we know (and Rust and Marty know) that they exist – but what is their relationship to Errol Childress?

Certain victims tell us that the man with the scars was the worst. Did Errol participate in ritual rapes and murders with other individuals? It’s most likely. However, in the very beginning of the very first episode, no others are seen; it is only a lone figure carrying a body toward the tree in the field. My question is this: could Errol have carried out some of his own murders without the rest of the party knowing? Maybe he committed several unbeknownst to them, in the secrecy of his lair – Carcosa.

While luring Rust through Carcosa, Errol provides the following information: “Do you wanna know what they did to me? What I will do to all the sons and daughters of Man.” He speaks, here, of the scars upon his face: something happened to him in his youth that gave him these scars, and we can bet that it was a part of the rituals the Tuttle clan engaged in. Thus, Errol explains his actions to us: he is carrying out what was done to him, in his youth, or is at least reenacting some form of traumatic experience. It is clear that Errol was not entirely accepted and beloved by his elders. The lips on the body of Errol’s father are sewn shut, suggesting some deep pathological animosity: the Law of the Father, silenced. Errol experienced something horrifying as a child, and his mission – as well as his means of controlling that experience – is to visit that experience upon new victims. We never saw the Yellow King (in person), and we haven’t been granted the full vision of what the Tuttle Clan wrought upon southern Louisiana. The reason for this is that the full conspiracy did not involve Errol Childress; in fact, he was incorporated, early in his life, as part of the rituals themselves. His part in the murders around 1995 and since are merely tangential to the full horror of the Sprawl.