The Official Good Television Thread

The Affair had a nice run the last couple episodes. The opening montage of the finale was particularly entertaining. It got a bit soapy overall, but that's seemingly for the better since I didn't think it was totally clicking when it was more of a character study. Started off with more of a mystery, then wandered before bringing it back together at the end. Anyone else finish up?

It wasn't a waste of time, but I'd probably only give it a mild recommendation.

I think it was a waste of time. The show could have ended this storyline in 1 season, but instead decided to make the last 3-4 episodes do nothing but delay for another season. I would recommend anyone to not watch it because nothing happens!

Watching Over the Garden Wall for like the third time. Its a dark animated series that premiered on Cartoon Network earlier this year. If that doesnt scare you off, hear me out. Whilst it may seem aimed at kids, at the heart of it is a fairly strong horror story.

The story is about two brothers, lost in the woods (The Unknown) trying to find their way home. Through their journey theyre menaced by a monstrous presence in the woods that steals children's souls, The Beast.

Its full of allegory and magic and a struggle with impending death. Theres a really deep story to be had here... If you can tolerate the little brother's obnoxiousness. (Oh and Elijah Wood is the main character)

Well, I know some have expressed distaste for this show, but my wife and I watched the first season of The Fall.

It's very good, extremely interesting and well-written. Furthermore, I don't understand why people ever compared it to True Detective in the first place. It's entirely different, the only similarity being that it's about a detective looking for a serial killer. Definitely worth it.

I'm watching a lot of 2013 and 2014 series pilots these days, so a couple of my insights:

Alpha House - comedy about four senators curently facing re-elctions living in the same house, quite unusual enviroment for comedy, creates lot of funny situations, good cast, I especially like John Goodman, good to see him leading, not as supporting cast

Forever - quite a regular detective show, with a bit of originality, given that the main character is immortal, a has some Sherlock in him because of his deductive skills, Ioan Gruffud is the reason to watch the show, his accent and performance are very good. Pilot doesn't show many characters or some extremly dramatic plot twists, but there is some potential

BoJack Horseman - I was slightly disappointed by this, I really like the idea, but it isn't that funny, some jokes are in Family Guy style (repeat something/wait long enough till it is funny, the problem is, it really isn't), but fortunately, writers are using that a lot of main characters are animals, and a lot of jokes draw from that and their interaction with other animals or people.

King Star King - I saw it few minutes ago, well, part of it, completly random experience, really don't know what to write, except that people behind this are obviously taking drugs.

I've heard Marco Polo is kind of "meh" and tries too hard to be Game of Thrones...still might be worth checking out though.

Picked up Fargo and True Detective on blu ray. The Fargo set came with a Fargo beanie, which I thought was pretty cool. It was far and away my favorite show last year. I can't wait to see what they do with the Sioux Falls storyline

Just finished season two of The Fall.

Holy shit, the interrogation scene was intense. I know some people have expressed distaste, but I thought this show was fucking fantastic.

The interrogation scene got to you? That was the lamest thing ever. Only Scully could get the answers out of him, but she didn't do a thing. That show could have ended last season, now they are just milking viewers. Real cash cow

(spoilers below)

She didn't "do a thing" because she doesn't have to, and she knows it. All she needed to do was to get him to ask to talk to her. That was her whole game. She orchestrated everything up until that point.

For him, the "interior world" is all that matters, so it doesn't matter at all what he says out loud, according to him. She doesn't care about changing his perception of things or his worldview; she just wants to put his ass away. She got the answers out of him because he's a self-absorbed narcissist who wanted only to appear powerful and controlling in front of her. However, the simple material conditions of the scene - that he's under arrest in an interrogation room - disable that illusion. That's why she kept telling him "You're under arrest." She's also far more intelligent than him, although he is very smart. He's a cliche Nietzschean, and undermined by his own misogyny and misanthropy.

You have to remember that personalities like him love to talk. They desperately want to talk. He loved that she kept asking him "why?" about all his behaviors. He was explaining what he felt to be an aesthetic and philosophical calling. She knew that entirely.

I also loved when she asked him, "Who were you talking to [when you asked 'Why are you still watching this?'] Were you talking to yourself? To me? To people who watch shows about people like you?"

And while she said this line, she was speaking directly to the camera. That was powerful stuff (and if you don't think so, then we value different things :cool:).

He's a cliche Nietzschean, and undermined by his own misogyny and misanthropy.

Yup, just like her (Stella's) Father. The scene where Spector talks to his Daughter for the last time translates directly to Stella's relationship with her Father. At least this is my read on it. That's why I think the ending was no surprise when she panics to save him. She almost completely ignores the Det she just slept with to help the man she "despises."

To me this show was like - male? female? cop? killer? in a relative sense - sick pups, all of us.

Oh and god damn there are some cute Irish women on that show

It's been a few months since I saw it, so might be a little off/rusty..

She doesn't care about changing his perception of things or his worldview

I remember there being a long dialogue about her trying to change him/make him feel like shit etc etc ?

she just wants to put his ass away

Weirdly, they could have arrested him like 2 days earlier when they found the scissors(I think?) and could have easily had a case, without a confession. He did confess without any pressure really though, right? Can't remember.

However, the simple material conditions of the scene - that he's under arrest in an interrogation room - disable that illusion.

He still had power though. He had her friend, the one she felt guilty for getting abducted, in his custody. That's how the season ended. So not sure I really agree here.

Yup, just like her (Stella's) Father. The scene where Spector talks to his Daughter for the last time translates directly to Stella's relationship with her Father. At least this is my read on it. That's why I think the ending was no surprise when she panics to save him. She almost completely ignores the Det she just slept with to help the man she "despises."

I don't remember there being much about her father, and barely any mention. This seems like quite a leap to conclude this, no?

I remember there being a long dialogue about her trying to change him/make him feel like shit etc etc ?

All tactics. He's so narcissistic; her comments are all ploys to get him to crack or fess up.

Weirdly, they could have arrested him like 2 days earlier when they found the scissors(I think?) and could have easily had a case, without a confession. He did confess without any pressure really though, right? Can't remember.

They didn't want a long, drawn-out case. They wanted a confession. And it took a lot of pressure, as far as I'm concerned! Do you remember how many different investigators/officers went in and talked with him before Stella did? The major portion of that final 1 & 1/2 hour episode consisted of various officers going into the room and questioning him. She was working him the whole time, playing him, and getting him to ask for her; because she knew that when he asks for her, he's going to confess.

He still had power though. He had her friend, the one she felt guilty for getting abducted, in his custody. That's how the season ended. So not sure I really agree here.

Yes, he had her; but that woman has children (a soft spot for the killer, which Stella knew), and he was dying to confess by that time anyway.

I don't remember there being much about her father, and barely any mention. This seems like quite a leap to conclude this, no?

It's suggested, and quite strongly. The killer psychoanalyzes her a bit in the interrogation, although she doesn't confirm anything. Why would she?

At any rate, I didn't think much of it until that final scene when she's cradling him and calling for help. That's a powerful scene because it suggests that the killer may have been partially correct.

All tactics. He's so narcissistic; her comments are all ploys to get him to crack or fess up.

From what I interpreted, he wanted to confess. There was no struggle, there was an almost immediate confession. He wanted Stella to know he had the hold on her with her friend. It was his last gratifying moment, to see her weak like that.

They didn't want a long, drawn-out case. They wanted a confession. And it took a lot of pressure, as far as I'm concerned! Do you remember how many different investigators/officers went in and talked with him before Stella did? The major portion of that final 1 & 1/2 hour episode consisted of various officers going into the room and questioning him. She was working him the whole time, playing him, and getting him to ask for her; because she knew that when he asks for her, he's going to confess.

I don't even think the show addressed why they didn't want to arrest him. The show was oblivious to it, and it seems like most fans missed it too. There wasn't a discussion between Stella and the Commissioner dude about bringing him in or not, it was just glossed over.

From my memory the only people that talked to him were the younger police chick and her partner. I don't even think he said anything to them, and made that one plea to Stella at the camera. It was apparent to me that the scene was being set up as some sort of psychological battle between cop and killer, who may be entirely related deep down. And it really wasn't. 1/1.5 hr isn't something that I would call a lot of pressure regardless

Yes, he had her; but that woman has children (a soft spot for the killer, which Stella knew), and he was dying to confess by that time anyway.

Dying to confess? Where do you get that from? haha It was his last power play to dodge jail, and it didn't work out.

It's suggested, and quite strongly. The killer psychoanalyzes her a bit in the interrogation, although she doesn't confirm anything. Why would she?

At any rate, I didn't think much of it until that final scene when she's cradling him and calling for help. That's a powerful scene because it suggests that the killer may have been partially correct.

I don't really remember the discussion maybe if I care enough ill go rewatch the interrogation scene again.

I find it interesting that neither of you thought that she was so upset because her big case, one that was so close to her heart, was being taken away from her by someone else. She never got her closure. Instead you guys think, if I understand your POV, that she has daddy issues and related it to him?