The Official Good Television Thread

I was so expecting the people in that tent to be the wrong family. Show's always keeping me on my toes.

I also like the slow-reveal backstories they do in the beginning of the episodes. Obviously there's a lot of Breaking Bad formulae but hey, it's not like we're sick of it.

so Amazon decided to pick up Man in the High Castle for a full season. Let's hope it's good. The pilot was certainly interesting, but some of the dialog was just god awful.

Spartacus > Rome. Sorry Jeremy.

Upon watching more Spartacus, I'm further entrenched in my conviction. Spartacus tries desperately to be 300 and it fails. Its dialogue is pretty mediocre, the plots not very complex, and CGI clearly much more low-budget than 300 had. Rome, on the other hand, weaves the stories of the two semi-fictional main characters into those of the historical characters, and has the advantage of an already complex and exciting historical narrative to play off of and manipulate. Perhaps my preference for Rome is based on my knowledge of the history, but irrespective of that, the costume and set design sets it above Spartacus any day.

The first season of Rome is one of the best seasons of television ever. Spartacus is nowhere near as well-written, produced, or conceived; it's basically pure entertainment fodder.

The first season of Rome is one of the best seasons of television ever. Spartacus is nowhere near as well-written, produced, or conceived; it's basically pure entertainment fodder.

It's all the sex and violence of Spartacus with a lot more psychological depth and political intrigue. And even without all the history, the main characters Vorenus and Pullo have great chemistry as foils to one another.

Season 2 is not quite as good, but Octavian's transformation into a Machiavellian along with Vorenus' descent into virtual Hell are incredibly compelling, personally.

I just found out that Syfy are making a TV series out of the Expanse books. Didn't bother with a pilot or anything, just went ahead and made it. Seems to have a decent cast (including Mike from BB and the English chap from Mad Men), the guy that wrote Children of Men is involved and it looks like they're spending the sort of money they put towards Battlestar Galactica.

About time someone got around to bringing a decent space based science fiction series to TV.

Thomas Jane is a good choice for the character, but that fedora. ;(((((((

Last edited by a moderator: