The Official Good Television Thread

I thought he did well at creating sympathy for his character and a negative feeling for what his character goes through. Sure, not a great actor at all, but I don't think everybody can just create that feeling of sympathy.

I'm only about halfway through season 3 but so far i feel none of that sympathy that you're talking about. If anything i think he's a piece of shit(especially after the whole D'angelo thing) and i wouldnt mind if he ate a bullet in one of the following episodes.

I'm only about halfway through season 3 but so far i feel none of that sympathy that you're talking about. If anything i think he's a piece of shit(especially after the whole D'angelo thing) and i wouldnt mind if he ate a bullet in one of the following episodes.

Oh fuck, lucky I went with my gut and didn't spoiler anything. Interested to see how you feel as you watch it man.

Almost finished the first season of The Americans and I don't think I've got the desire to go any further. It's just not grabbing me and I find the two lead actors entirely unconvincing.

Sad to hear it, but I won't urge you to keep watching. If you're not sold on their performances right away there's really no point to it. I honestly think Russell and Rhys are the best leads on television right now. Glad you gave it a chance, at least.

... yeah, that show was crap.

As usual, you're plain wrong.

@Vegard Pompey what is your avi taken from? I meant to ask you ages ago.

It's from Kaiji, a manga (with a solid anime adaptation, covering about half the manga) about gambling. It's about this working-class dude trying to gamble his way out of a massive gambling debt (sometimes by wagering his own life or parts of his own body against boatloads of money, so there's an aspect of class warfare to it). The games vary from arc to arc but it's usually something simple that boils down to a one-on-one mind game and cheating is frequently involved. I love it especially because the protagonist is a complete mess, sometimes able to pull off a brilliant scheme to turn an opponent's cheating against him, but also prone to bouts of depression, loss of motivation, and deeply irrational behavior.

Reactions: CiG
It's from Kaiji, a manga (with a solid anime adaptation, covering about half the manga) about gambling. It's about this working-class dude trying to gamble his way out of a massive gambling debt (sometimes by wagering his own life or parts of his own body against boatloads of money, so there's an aspect of class warfare to it). The games vary from arc to arc but it's usually something simple that boils down to a one-on-one mind game and cheating is frequently involved. I love it especially because the protagonist is a complete mess, sometimes able to pull off a brilliant scheme to turn an opponent's cheating against him, but also prone to bouts of depression, loss of motivation, and deeply irrational behavior.

That sounds really great. I hope the manga are still in rotation, if not I guess I'll track down the anime. The animation style looks awesome too.

I don't think the manga even has an english-language release. :( I watched the anime then read manga scanlations starting where the anime left off.

Sad to hear it, but I won't urge you to keep watching. If you're not sold on their performances right away there's really no point to it. I honestly think Russell and Rhys are the best leads on television right now. Glad you gave it a chance, at least.
It's not bad at all. I'm just not sold. I definitely have more of a problem with Russell than Rhys, and it's definitely got to do with her once being Felicity and looking as American as apple pie in the face. Rhys is ok, but I feel like he'd be better with a more believable co-lead.

Okay, so I guess I might be the only Orange is the New Black series watcher here and after an underwhleming Season 3, Season 4 was sooooo damn good. I marathoned Season 4 in like two days. Literally every day this year feels like too damn much and Orange the New Black really honed in on that (especially the last 4 episodes of Season 4). There was a focus on Black Lives Matter, systematic racism, white patriarchy, oppression, transphobia, and just an overall critique of the U.S. prison system. There was a character, Lolly, who kept trying to go back in time and I thought it was hilarious because all this year people have been commenting is this really 2016 and not... 1950s?

I really won't go in too much on the analysis because a lot of people don't really watch it here. But there was soo juicy many themes discussed. I mean many people tune in to this because its presented as a comedy series, but you know there was a lot more there. Character arcs I really enjoyed were Lolly's (schizophrenia and how society views it), Suzanne aka "Crazy Eyes" (her backstory of how she got into prison was.... just really damn unfortunate and so unnecessary), and of course Poussey (which was just soooo shocking and absolutely heart-wrenching).

I can't really say more without spoiling things but now I'm just looking for something else to watch. My friend recommended me "The Night Of"