The Official Good Television Thread

So I take it you didn't mind the fag action in the first season on GoT, then? The thing that annoyed me about that was that Lancel and Remly weren't even gay in the books. It felt like it was just thrown in there to comply with some minimum homo quota.

Reactions: CiG
oh yes it did bother me .... but it's usually only once or twice throughout a full season so whatever. If they had an actually storyline focusing on gaydom, then i would have def dropped the series, regardless of how good i thought it was. That's pretty much what happened with Mr. Robot. I really liked the series, but than came a scene where a guy was ripping another guy and than busted a nut on his back and handed him a towel. That was the last time i watched that show. I'm not cool with all these networks shoveling that shit down our throats in recent years so i would in no way support them by adding myself to their tv ratings numbers.

edit: The Wire(in a few scenes) and SFU(in that one episode at least) kind of overdid it though, i dont wanna see guys sticking their tongues down each others throats. :puke: I have lost a lot of respect for Michael C. Hall and Michael K. Williams.

Last edited:
oh yes it did bother me .... but it's usually only once or twice throughout a full season so whatever. If they had an actually storyline focusing on gaydom, then i would have def dropped the series, regardless of how good i thought it was. That's pretty much what happened with Mr. Robot. I really liked the series, but than came a scene where a guy was ripping another guy and than busted a nut on his back and handed him a towel. That was the last time i watched that show. I'm not cool with all these networks shoveling that shit down our throats in recent years.

edit: The Wire(in a few scenes) and SFU(in that one episode at least) kind of overdid it though, i dont wanna see guys sticking their tongues down each others throats. :puke:

Lmao. Tbh I thought the scene in Mr Robot was well done and one of the highlights of the show. It was basically just mechanical and loveless brute fucking, and the gross out factor was kind of the point of it as the giver was actually hetero and presumably enjoying it just as little as the viewer. That said his reason for doing it made no sense (he wanted to hack into his own bodyguard's phone? I must have missed something there).

Contrast that with the gay scenes in GoT though where it was all up-close snuggling and smooching... much more wince worthy.

Oh they definitely were .....

In the novels, the relationship between Loras and Renly is more subtly depicted than in the TV series, with only guarded references to the relationship in the interactions between other characters. This is largely due to the narrative mechanics: Renly, Loras, and Margaery are not POV characters in the first two books. The scenes at King Renly's army camp are told from Catelyn's POV, and she would not be privy to the details of Renly and Loras's relationship. However, author George R.R. Martin has independently confirmed that they were involved in a relationship.[24] It isn't exactly clear how widely Renly's relationship with Loras was known about, or even to what extent his friends and family knew (Robert, etc.). In the negotiation scene with Stannis, Renly tells him that Margaery came to him a maiden, Stannis replies that in his bed, she will die one. Brienne is in love with Renly and cried at his wedding. Littlefinger and Varys seem to know (due to their spy rings), and even Jaime Lannister makes an off-hand comment about it at one point. When directly asked how widely Renly's relationship with Loras was known about (citing that even Jaime knew), George R.R. Martin's only response was "what do you think?"[25]

@Internally Deformed
@Phylactery

Last edited:
Yeah and Jaime didn't rape Cersei in the room with the corpse of their son either in the books. They've definitely added a lot of things for shock value.

There was an uproar about the scene where Ramsey raped Sansa, but I didn't read much outrage about the scene I mentioned above which was far worse.

Also, I've never seen Mr. Robot, but the scene TB has just described sounds hilarious.

Oh they definitely were .....

In the novels, the relationship between Loras and Renly is more subtly depicted than in the TV series, with only guarded references to the relationship in the interactions between other characters. This is largely due to the narrative mechanics: Renly, Loras, and Margaery are not POV characters in the first two books. The scenes at King Renly's army camp are told from Catelyn's POV, and she would not be privy to the details of Renly and Loras's relationship. However, author George R.R. Martin has independently confirmed that they were involved in a relationship.[24] It isn't exactly clear how widely Renly's relationship with Loras was known about, or even to what extent his friends and family knew (Robert, etc.). In the negotiation scene with Stannis, Renly tells him that Margaery came to him a maiden, Stannis replies that in his bed, she will die one. Brienne is in love with Renly and cried at his wedding. Littlefinger and Varys seem to know (due to their spy rings), and even Jaime Lannister makes an off-hand comment about it at one point. When directly asked how widely Renly's relationship with Loras was known about (citing that even Jaime knew), George R.R. Martin's only response was "what do you think?"[25]

Where does it actually say that Loras was fucking Renly, though? Most of that is about Renly being possibly gay (which I vaguely remember being hinted at - it's been years since I read the books), but I don't remember anything at all about Loras and Renly explicitly being connected. That said, the "knight of the flowers" thing was a clue I probably should have picked up on, lol.

Yeah I know that, but I don't remember reading a scene in the book where Loras is shaving Renley and then he starts fellating him, like happened on the show. Their relationship was more explicit on the show.

Reactions: Internally Deformed
Where does it actually say that Loras was fucking Renly, though? Most of that is about Renly being possibly gay (which I vaguely remember being hinted at - it's been years since I read the books), but I don't remember anything at all about Loras and Renly explicitly being connected. That said, the "knight of the flowers" thing was a clue I probably should have picked up on, lol.

ok sorry, i guess they were a gay couple who abstained from having sex. Lol, really? :rolleyes:

Yeah I know that, but I don't remember reading a scene in the book where Loras is shaving Renley and then he starts fellating him, like happened on the show. Their relationship was more explicit on the show.

if you read my quote than maybe you would have understood why we wouldn't have seen such things.

This is largely due to the narrative mechanics: Renly and Loras are not POV characters

You don't need to show sex for it to be implied that they're having it. Although obviously I missed the implication in the books, so maybe you do...

lol wtf, yes exactly. And they don't need to break down and spoon feed us the fact that they are fuckin' in the books too. Also you guys keep ignoring the whole THEY ARE NOT POV CHARACTERS, so how the fuck would we have go those scenes in the books ... which i haven't read btw.

And maybe i do what?
so maybe you do...

huh?

I added this post because it originally looked like I was saying they weren't a couple in the books, after I replied about the show adding things that don't happen in the book. I'm obviously not denying that they were a couple in the books because I know this is hinted at. The particular scenes between Renly and Loras shown on the show I was saying were added for shock value.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
ID said they werent gay, he was wrong, he said they werent fucking and he was wrong again ...but he is undoubtedly going to be the hearheaded cunt that he is and push some other nonsense here. No point in continuing this shit. I proved my point.