The Official Good Television Thread

ran through another run of True Detective season 1, still just amazing. It has truly become one of those shows where I remember/notice little things that add more elements to the show. This time, Cohle's sensory expression and the subtle BLM-type critiques of the policing state in America got my focus. 10/10 still

Reactions: Einherjar86
I really like the X-Files but it can be frustrating, basically because I know the show goes on a steady yet subtle decline as the seasons go on and they do some annoying shit, like writing a really fucking DEAD character back to life.

I really like the X-Files but it can be frustrating, basically because I know the show goes on a steady yet subtle decline as the seasons go on and they do some annoying shit, like writing a really fucking DEAD character back to life.

yeah, it goes on a steep decline in s5 or s6, before Mulder goes away. Watched up to that point though, it's worth. Can't bother to watch the movies or the non-mulder/scully seasons

Not sure if anyone watched the recent revamp, but it was atrocious. One of the worst and most confusing things I've ever seen on television, can't believe it was okay-ed by the producers.

the only episode i remember being 'xfiles-ish' was the truck stop one(3rd episode I think) the rest was seemed like a weird setup/pitch to production companies for a new run

Wasn't the truck-stop one also the self-mocking one? I could be getting them confused. And if it was supposed to be a pitch for a reboot series, I'm not sure they hit the mark. X-Files was always a little bit satirical toward itself as a genre show, but this just felt like Chris Carter was trying to show us that he still knows all the old tricks, but he just can't do them as well. And on top of that, he knows no new tricks.

honestly cant remember if it was self mocking or not, feels like its been a decade since i watched the new episodes haha

it was weird though, first two were a reconnect of the past. then a 'new' xfiles in the 3rd and then the final two were the 2 new detectives which reminded everyone that you cant have xfiles w/o mulder/scully

idk, just weird. cash grab perhaps

Agree, the new X-files was kind of embarassing, I really wanted to like it (huge fanboy) but it wasn't very good. The episode you are talking about was really great though and I don't really see it as self mockery anymore than most of the monster episodes in earlier seasons. There's always been a very tongue in cheek style too lots of them which this episode reminded me of.

IMO season 7 is probably the worst season (except the new one) and the very bottom of the show. Season 6 is great. I actually think both 8 and 9 are step ups from 7, and when you get used to the Dogget and Reyes they are just fine (no Mulder and Scully in their prime obv).

BTW, there is a comic book season 10 (and onwards, still ongoing) which Carter also was involved in in the beginning. It is so much better than the revamp season, too bad they didn't stick with that story.

anyone else excited about american gods? i don't even know how i'd feel about that book now, but it was a childhood favourite. ian mcshane as mr. wednesday, peter stormare, crispin glover, gillian anderson, emily browning, cloris leachmann, jeremy davies, beth grant and (lel) dane cook on the cast? jesus.