The Official Good Television Thread

I'm definitely going to watch it, but I haven't read the book. To my mind, Gaiman is kind of like a poor man's China Mieville; but I realize he does have a huge following.

I really wanted to like Into the Badlands, but after watching the first few episodes I'm left underwhelmed. The action/fight sequences are fantastic, but I feel like it takes itself way too seriously.

And Mieville doesn't write graphic novels, so not much of a comparison there. I haven't read the whole thing, but what I have read of Gaiman's Sandman is very good.

I'm thinking of Mieville books like Un Lun Dun, Kraken, and The Last Days of New Paris as wilder, more interesting versions of the kind of prose fiction Gaiman writes.

Finally watching this. Amazing show.

th

Finally watching this. Amazing show.

th

Fuck yeah. I wish there was more terrorism/conspiracy stuff on TV on par with this. Just watched the first half-season of Designated Survivor and aside from the (not insignificant) novelty value of seeing Kiefer play basically a 24 president it was goddamn horrendous.

No love for season 7? s07 > s03 > s05 > the rest, imo

I've only seen season 7 once and I can barely remember it. I'll have to rewatch it. Why do you think it's the best?

Season 4 is definitely my least favourite, there's just far too much going on and it gets completely ridiculous.

I'm probably biased with season 1 since it was the first I saw. I admit it does drag a bit in the later half, but Christ there's some plot twists of neck snapping velocity.

Last edited:
I like season 7 best because I feel like it's the one where the supporting cast really pulls its weight. Jack actually delegates main badass duty to <spoiler>/Renee/Bill-best-fucking-character-ever-Buchanan on occasion and the season doesn't suffer for it, it's rather made more varied and interesting.

Season 3 had the best villains though.

your praise of 5 makes me wanna revisit it because thats the one where i checked out as they were originally airing. it had got to the point where all the characters were being killed off so fast (and sometimes being ludicrously resurrected) that it kinda killed the stakes for me, felt like it was jumping the shark with the endless stacking of shocking twists. but then i came back and watched 7 and 8 and loved them so i was probably too hasty.

i'd agree with 3 and 7 being the best, i do love 1 though. the writing was a bit ropey but it was so novel and you had no idea where it was gonna go or how much it was gonna punish you for investing. it was also more personal than some seasons, which gave it those high stakes i was talking about.

Season 5 is probably my favourite if I take nostalgia out of it. I don't think it has the same impact on a rewatch though, since the biggest twist comes at the end and obviously you already know what it is now. But the same can be said about season 1 I guess. I agree with what you said about season 1 being more personal, and that's perhaps another reason why I favour it. I watched it after it had finished airing on TV, but before season 2 had started and I hadn't seen anything like it. I remember watching the entire thing in one day with my closest friend during a school holiday.

I love season 3, but I feel that the beggining drags on a bit long. It has a really strong second half, though.

I've been watching Mountain Monsters and it's fucking hilarious.

A bunch of slobs pretending to look for different bigfoot in WV and surrounding states. It's obviously fake but I think it's supposed to be... and it's currently gone off in some bizarre Blaire Witch direction. I know a lot of people in WV are buttsore over the show because of the way it depicts WVians but I think it's funny as fuck and isnt too far off from how fucking retarded and superstitious most people here still are.