The Official Good Television Thread

Watching:

rsz_a1wacssok4l_sl1500_.jpg

The 1979 mini-series. Second go around, I always thoroughly enjoy these old dry, practically anti-stylism mini-series, usually by BBC or something. So much of the modern spy genre is too flashy and popcorny for my taste, though I can appreciate that style when done well. But I definitely feel that this mini-series as well as Smiley's People really best captures the feel of the books.

That said I do need to rewatch the newer film adaptation with Oldman and Hardy, been ages.

Last edited:
succession is totally not worth the time or effort. not one redeeming quality from that season

I'm also on the fence over whether it's actually a rewarding show. In the simplest way possible, it's entertaining watching these assholes sabotage one another. But I'm not entirely sure what the point is. Satirizing New York wealth? Okay, but that's not really a new concept.

I'm finding Sharp Objects to be vastly superior, both in narrative style and in content. It's southern gothic to the max, and a fine response to the first season of True Detective. Hoping the denouement isn't a letdown.

Satirizing New York wealth? Okay, but that's not really a new concept.

went from that and then to sympathy (I guess?)! how outrageous..

I have a few episodes of Sharp on my hdd, gotta give it a watch after my final tomorrow. Killing Eve was ruined after the 5th episode or whatever and I think I have another HBO show from this season to check out. been rough for awhile on anything worthwhile in tv or film for me.

Weird that you'd swear off Game of Thrones. It's overhyped yeah but still pretty great up until season 5. Season 4 is my favorite.

I'm finding Sharp Objects to be vastly superior, both in narrative style and in content. It's southern gothic to the max, and a fine response to the first season of True Detective. Hoping the denouement isn't a letdown.
I happened upon Sharp Objects by chance and decided to stick with it and have become fully invested. Terrific atmosphere and Amy Adams pulls off being a hot mess wonderfully. Amazing how well the whole "small town with secrets" thing can still be pulled off with the right writing and characters.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Watching s01 of The Man in the High Castle. High production values obviously but sooooo self-serious, dry and seriously lacking in compelling characters. Rufus Sewell's nazi officer and Brennan Brown's antique collector are keeping me going at the moment. Gonna finish the season but if it doesn't end on a strong note I'll probably drop this.

I highly recommend the overlooked Counterpart for a much better alternate history period drama with espionage.

Sharp Objects has been fucking amazing. There's one more episode left afaik but this one was really something.

Reactions: Einherjar86