The Official Good Television Thread

It does have an end goal, or at least an overarching story. It's about the reestablishment of civilization following a global collapse. At first it's about individuals trying to survive, form stable communities and find a safe place to settle down. Once they reach Alexandria at the end of s05, it becomes about armed conflict between city states. So basically it's a repeat of early history on a microcosmic scale. Although I'm not sure where the end point would be exactly, I imagine what we'll be seeing next is the formation of nation states, reestablishment of industries and communication networks (the comics have already touched on this, as far as I've read) and so forth.

I can understand how the show's awful pacing makes people think it has no point but there is an arc, even if they bungle it. (It's much clearer in the comics, which consistently don't suck)

I am always amaZed at how people can make television garbage sound profound

Finished Sharp Objects last night. Well worth it, a great show and fantastic atmosphere. Also, my wife called the twist, which she then proceeded to rub in my face. I mean,
everyone had to know something was up when that whole extended montage played out after they arrested Adora; there was no way they were going to end on such a lackluster note. And then those scenes that rolled during the credits... fucking intense.

Won't lie, I'm pretty keen to check this shit out.

:rofl: omfg. If Michael Gross doesn't make a cameo, I'm not watching.

Stumbled across this just now:

Saw this yesterday. Very excited, and hoping for good things. Mahershala Ali is awesome.

Reactions: CiG
New Top ten sitcoms go (animated or live action, doesn't matter):

I'm too autistic to mix animated and live action, so just live action:

1. Married... with Children
2. Seinfeld
3. Bottom
4. The Office (U.S.)
5. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
6. The Young Ones
7. Black Books
8. Workaholics
9. Blackadder
10. The IT Crowd

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia seems to have a lot of slapstick jokes but it can be really funny at times.

I'm not crazy about The Office past the second season though the third has its moments. That's a show that started off great and just steadily declined.

I think The Office took a quality hit when Steve Carell left as you'd expect, but overall I pretty much love the series. I've probably watched it the whole way through at least 7 times at this point. 1st and 2nd seasons are among the weakest IMO.

Always Sunny fucking rules.

Really? I can see the first season not being one of the better seasons but the second was amazing, imo anyway. I definitely liked episodes from the third season. It's been years since I've seen any of it.

I think the great appeal of The Office is the emotional attachments it wants you to develop and so for me the early seasons are much more of an introductory period to many of the characters. Michael especially is not quite the character he becomes that makes me love him.

Season 1 is funny and season 2 is really good too especially with how it ramps up the tension between certain characters, but my favourite seasons are probably between 3 and 6.

i rewatched the office last year or the year before and realized it's one 'smartish' dude making fun of dumb people for 7 seasons and realized it was trash

1 - Married... with Children
2 - Seinfeld

3 - Curb Your Enthusiasm
4 - 3rd Rock From the Sun
5 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

6 - That 70's Show
7 - Wilfred
8 - I Love Lucy
9 - Martin
10 - Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

The Abbot and Costello Show
Cheers
Arrested Development
Louie

Trailer Park Boys
would be at the top of my list if we're counting it as a sitcom.

some of these arguably dont count and idk about the order after the first 2 but

1) arrested development
2) the simpsons
3) south park
4) peep show
5) the thick of it
6) father ted
7) it’s always sunny
8) bojack
9) louie
10) fawlty towers/yes minister/porridge

theres a lot of classic american sitcoms i haven’t seen much of for the record