The Official Good Television Thread

Two episodes into Ricky Gervais' new series After Life. Sad, but entertaining so far. He plays a dude who loses his wife to cancer and doesn't really feel like there's anything to live for. Check it out if you like his shit, if you haven't seen Derek, go watch that first.

My favorite thing of his is still The Ricky Gervais Show and I wish there was another series of that in the future.

i think he’s kind of jumped the shark and disappeared up his own ass at this point, but maybe i’ll give it a whirl. i loved the ricky gervais show too but pilkington is probably the MVP there.

Most of Dexter was extremely average after the first season. I understand TV couldn't take as long between series as the books did between releases but it got progressively worse as the seasons went on where as the books got better.

Reactions: CiG
The 2nd half of the last season was way the fuck worse than anything else in the show
The producers of Dexter were clearly trying to do a clear-cut and definitive series finale (like the Banks family moving out of the house in the final episode of the fresh Prince of Bel air or the ship getting to eartE in the final episode of Voyager) They were also clearly making a badly done seasonal build-up to the last episode which came out horribly because they clearly felt the need to have Dexter stop killing people (which was, TBH, a stupid idea to begin with) but the explanation of why he suddenly stopped killing was done really horribly

When it comes to the books, most people that instantly loved the 2nd book initially hated the 3rd one
People hating the 3rd book is, IIRC, one of the reasons that the producers gave for making the 3rd season completely different than anything thing in the book series

They had to write Dexter off, the show going nowhere because there is only so many times a serial killer hiding amongst the police can feasibly get away with it before even the dumbest viewer starts asking questions. Making him survive rather than die left the possibility of comeback which TV-land and Movie-land just can't resist these days. Unlike the books where it was set up that the kids had potential to follow Dexter's path the TV series didn't have that and therefore if there was any chance of it coming back or getting some kind of shitty reboot they had to keep Dexter alive and dealing with his issues.

If the final eps where Dexter starts making plans for a new life for himself are where you get hung up on the show you are easily pleased, if was fucked well before then. The end was nothing more than poor writing when the writers knew the series wasn't going to be renewed.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
i think he’s kind of jumped the shark and disappeared up his own ass at this point, but maybe i’ll give it a whirl. i loved the ricky gervais show too but pilkington is probably the MVP there.

Yeah but if you watch Idiot Abroad it's cute but kind of boring in comparison to the show, because it's just him there.

I just googled what he's up to rn and I guess I need to check out his own show, Sick Of It. Have you seen that?

Yeah but if you watch Idiot Abroad it's cute but kind of boring in comparison to the show, because it's just him there.

I just googled what he's up to rn and I guess I need to check out his own show, Sick Of It. Have you seen that?

is that the one where he talks to a version of himself? i saw a bit of that, it was ok but i agree with you that his schtick wears thin when it's just him. it's the chemistry with gervais that makes him pop.

the best gervais-related thing i've seen in a while was actually this.

They had to write Dexter off, the show going nowhere because there is only so many times a serial killer hiding amongst the police can feasibly get away with it before even the dumbest viewer starts asking questions. Making him survive rather than die left the possibility of comeback which TV-land and Movie-land just can't resist these days. Unlike the books where it was set up that the kids had potential to follow Dexter's path the TV series didn't have that and therefore if there was any chance of it coming back or getting some kind of shitty reboot they had to keep Dexter alive and dealing with his issues.

If the final eps where Dexter starts making plans for a new life for himself are where you get hung up on the show you are easily pleased, if was fucked well before then. The end was nothing more than poor writing when the writers knew the series wasn't going to be renewed.
there were a huge ass amount of people that really really loved the 7th season and loved the first half of 8th and final season, and those specific people absolutely hated the second half of the last season

also it totally looked like the producers were firmly convinced that they were going to get a 9th season when they started filming season 8 and didn't realize that they weren't getting a 9th season till after they had finished filming the first couple of episodes of season 8