The Official Good Television Thread

I guess you don't know who Tom Selleck or Sam Elliott is.
Tom Sellek's mustache always just looks like a guy incapable of growing upper-lip hair with a fake mustache glued to his face
Jeff Foxworthy's mustache kinda looks like this too
and i don't think I've ever seen Jeff Foxworthy or Sam Elliott without the mustache

Well that's the end of that. Finally looked at my phone now that it's over and this is some of the excellent commentary I missed from my mother

IMG-20190519-223641.jpg

Well, they managed to follow up two of three worst episodes of Game of Thrones (the other beyond "Beyond the Wall" aka "Bad Plan") with the most boring. Dany's death was stupidly executed, just like everything with her this season. Tyrion literally just said she would always have a reason to see Jon as a threat, but then the next scene, we see her with no protection. Her guards would just let Jon Snow hunt her down? Not convincing at all.

Then, after Tyrion showing that he is utterly incompetent for years on end, he gets to be hand of the king? That's fucking bullshit. Tyrion was one of my favorite characters, but they shit on him so constantly that this ending is totally unjustified.

Bran's arc actually contracts the story that they were trying to tell, mainly because they did a shit job of explaining his powers. It seems that he can see the future. So did he intentionally not inform anyone that Dany was crazy so that he could become king? That's how it comes off.

Jon going to the Wall makes no sense. There's no need for a Wall anymore.

Sansa claiming the North... whatever, it's fine. They did a decent enough job setting up that story, even though she's my least favorite of the main characters.

Arya's ending was probably the best because it fits her character well.

I also liked Brienne's ending. Seeing her write that last page including the line "Died protecting his queen" was the only moment that lived up to the "bittersweet" ending Martin promised.

Edit: Oh, and Jon being Aegon didn't end up mattering at all in the end. What a fucking load of dead ends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegard Pompey
I liked Jon's ending a lot.

A man's punishment being to go spend the rest of his days with his best friend, his dog, and people that love him is as fucking ideal as it gets.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
It was a pretty bad episode in some ways but I actually liked some of the character endings a lot. I wish the last 20 minutes or so had been preceded by a season that earned them.

Jon's ending was beautiful and fitting. Just like his mentor Aemon, he ends up sacrificing his claim to the throne to join the Night's Watch (though the question remains unanswered; what the fuck is the point of the Night's Watch now?) The show doesn't mention this but I believe this makes him the 1000th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. And it's not an altogether tragic ending because he gets to hang out with Tormund, and we all know Jon has way more chemistry with Tormund than he ever did with Daenerys.

Bran becoming king of the Six Kingdoms raises questions. First of all it's mind-boggling that the council unanimously agrees to elect him as king. Secondly, Bran's humanity and motivations are in question, but the show doesn't address this at all. Bran sees the future, and is the one who reveals Jon's true parentage. He plays a direct role in the downfall of Daenerys and his own election to the throne, yet Tyrion is able to sell this narrative that Bran doesn't want to be king, when Bran arguably schemed to become king. Not that the members of the council would know this, it just seems jarring from a writing perspective to leave something like this unresolved.

The scene with Brienne finishing Jaime's entry in the kingsguard book retroactively improved Jaime's story a bit. When Jaime died in e05, I saw fans complaining that he accomplished nothing and died with no accomplishments to list in the kingsguard book (something he expressed anxiety about in the books) but Brienne reminds us that he accomplished plenty, suggesting that it's how he lived that mattered and not how he died, and bringing to mind the old adage about how life is what happens while we make other plans (and try to figure out how to satisfactorily conclude our redemption arcs.)

also lol @ Bronn now being one of the Lords Paramount of the Six Kingdoms. That guy now has more social mobility than fucking Littlefinger did.

It was a pretty bad episode in some ways but I actually liked some of the character endings a lot. I wish the last 20 minutes or so had been preceded by a season that earned them.

Bran becoming king of the Six Kingdoms raises questions. First of all it's mind-boggling that the council unanimously agrees to elect him as king. Secondly, Bran's humanity and motivations are in question, but the show doesn't address this at all. Bran sees the future, and is the one who reveals Jon's true parentage. He plays a direct role in the downfall of Daenerys and his own election to the throne, yet Tyrion is able to sell this narrative that Bran doesn't want to be king, when Bran arguably schemed to become king. Not that the members of the council would know this, it just seems jarring from a writing perspective to leave something like this unresolved.

This story arc is my biggest problem with the season/series.

The Night King and white walkers were part of a cosmic/universal narrative--a threat to life itself. Bran becoming king of Westeros reduces their significance to a merely isolated threat on a single continent. I wanted a speech from Bran about how Westeros (not to mention humanity) isn't the center of the fucking world. But no, he just accepts the crown with no explanation(s). Really lazy writing.

Has anything with the three eyed Raven ever been explained?

Not in the show. He's shrouded in mystery in the books too but at least there's more to work with there. He's one of the most fascinating characters in the ASoIaF universe but his character only really emerges if you puzzle together bits and pieces from every published ASoIaF book including the ones that aren't part of the main series like Dunk and Egg and Fire & Blood (which I haven't actually read, I mostly know about Bloodraven from second-hand sources.) Alt Shift X did a great video on him:

As an aside, though I like the books I've always attributed their popularity in part to the fact that they're basically fantasy with the other-worldliness (in terms of high magic, exotic settings, etc.) toned way down and as someone who likes those aspects of fantasy, that bothers me. I wish GRRM didn't hide the most fascinating, mystical shit like the character of Bloodraven in the periphery of his story like he does.

Reactions: rms and Einherjar86
Guess they shouldve just killed bran in season 1 then. How could a fan of the books support such a storyline in the show!
actually
just having Bran die when Jaimie shoves him out of the window in the end of the first fucking episode would have worked better than Bran's story-arc in the show

I agree with pretty much everything said here. After “The Bells” I didn’t have much hope of a finale I’d enjoy anyway.

The only two parts that made me feel anything were Drogon’s despair at his mother’s death (and him subsequently melting the Throne) and Jon reuniting with Ghost.

If I ever watch it again I’ll stop after season 4

Reactions: zerostatic
Well good news, the GoT guys are about to shitfuck new Star Wars too. At least it’s garbage before they get there I guess.

Reactions: CiG
So from a plot standpoint, which was worse, season 8 of GOT or the Star Wars prequels?
i didn't see season 8 of GoT
but i saw enough of the show that i'm pissed about the fact that Bran DIDN'T just die when Jaime threw him out of the windo in the last second of the first episode
keeping Bran alive just made the show suck