The Official Good Television Thread

He's the main antagonist of the entire franchise, not just some cop or minor character.
Lol I remember that much about wesker. Sounding like a 15 year old white kid who's never left the basement with this take. Idk man, show isn't even based off the first game it sounds
Feminism is triggering to folks 'round here.
after that shit take you had on promising young woman, not sure you're in the right vein on what kind of depth there are to feminist media

I'm hardly the biggest fan of the show but saying it's "just feminism" is like saying The Wire is just about race.
:lol: that's literally the entire point of the show. White vs black and how it's.manifested differently based off racist policies

the problem with "the handmaid's tale" is it really should have been a movie instead of a show

the first scene is the pregnant one finding out that she really is for sure pregnant
the last scene is her giving birth
with political upheaval happening during the pregnancy

:lol: that's literally the entire point of the show. White vs black and how it's.manifested differently based off racist policies

Right. I guess season 2 with the dock workers never happened. Or season 5 with the journalists.

Bubbles trying to get off the gear was just about race. Police corruption and stat manipulation was just about race. McNulty and his custody issues was all white vs black. Underfunding of the education system... the whole prohibition vs regulation debate in season 3... I could go on...

Right. I guess season 2 with the dock workers never happened. Or season 5 with the journalists.

Bubbles trying to get off the gear was just about race. Police corruption and stat manipulation was just about race. McNulty and his custody issues was all white vs black. Underfunding of the education system... the whole prohibition vs regulation debate in season 3... I could go on...
that's what season 2 demonstrated! White boys doing the same thing as the black boys. I have some issues with the show on my last viewings...but that's the point. Shows how a community can descend into profitable crime

And season 5, the journalists were pretty small part of the finale. Simon stroking himself on that, I think. But the schools, politics and how McNulty could get away with everything as some argue...but I wouldn't really call s5 a pivotal season to the show.

Showing the perspective as a junkie , and his climb out, as probably the most positive racial aspect of the show. Long has the black junkie been dehumanized, and part of the large argument as to why white opioid junkies get attention... if these neighborhoods were white, would this be happening? (We hear it with Chicago all the time )

McNulty custody issues are super small part of the show...but his privilege as an officer is something that can be explored racially from his drunkenness to his antics during work hours. Big difference between bunk and him

that's what season 2 demonstrated! White boys doing the same thing as the black boys. I have some issues with the show on my last viewings...but that's the point. Shows how a community can descend into profitable crime

So how is that "White vs black and how it's.manifested differently based off racist policies"?

And season 5, the journalists were pretty small part of the finale. Simon stroking himself on that, I think. But the schools, politics and how McNulty could get away with everything as some argue...but I wouldn't really call s5 a pivotal season to the show.

Schools were season 4. Simon himself describes the show as principally being about the failure of institutions, and he shifts the focus to a different one each season. It must be pretty miserable to watch one of the most thematically rich shows ever made and reduce it to "it's all about race"?

Showing the perspective as a junkie , and his climb out, as probably the most positive racial aspect of the show. Long has the black junkie been dehumanized, and part of the large argument as to why white opioid junkies get attention... if these neighborhoods were white, would this be happening? (We hear it with Chicago all the time )

McNulty custody issues are super small part of the show...but his privilege as an officer is something that can be explored racially from his drunkenness to his antics during work hours. Big difference between bunk and him

This sounds like a bizarrely strained SJW analysis of the show (and I hate that term for the record). Bubbles' recovery can't just be about overcoming addiction - it has to be viewed through a racial lens? I don't recall McNulty getting any privileged treatment - in fact his superiors both white and black repeatedly go to great lengths to bust him down to beat cop and harbour police roles.

race is definitely running through the veins of the show more or less all the time, but suggesting it’s exclusively about that is very strained and reductive yeah.

the show cares about three things: law, politics and schools. all are failing, systematically. why are they failing? misused resources. why are the resources being misused? strong argument that it's from racial policies.incompetence and racial bias aren't as far apart as I think you'd be arguing. and last of all, the show attempts to humanize black crime in these urban areas. why does Simon care about this so much? Because he knows how that subset of american life has been racialized into one specific stereotype. A response to the (mostly) white opiods vs. black crack is part of this.

So how is that "White vs black and how it's.manifested differently based off racist policies"?
the docks, running large scale laundering, has the measly attention of Beatty versus the neighborhood where cousin lives sees a Carver-type and his screw bumping skulls daily.

Schools were season 4. Simon himself describes the show as principally being about the failure of institutions, and he shifts the focus to a different one each season. It must be pretty miserable to watch one of the most thematically rich shows ever made and reduce it to "it's all about race"?

I wasn't saying those things were all season 5. What institution failed the white dock workers? Modernization? :lol: :lol: :lol:

IDK man, you might be worried about taking that next step in the thinking process. Asking why all the things in the show fail leads you to ask why did black people in Baltimore fail? And that answer is largely black.

Bubbles' recovery can't just be about overcoming addiction - it has to be viewed through a racial lens?
Honestly the counter argument to humanizing a black junkie being SJW just seems like you're totally unaware of this stereotype in our country, if not abroad. A white junkie has a past, a black junkie is a drain on the system. This isn't SJW, it's quite easy to depict.

Why are you so scared to admit that Bubbles' arc is racial?
don't recall McNulty getting any privileged treatment - in fact his superiors both white and black repeatedly go to great lengths to bust him down to beat cop and harbour police roles.

What was McNulty's reprocussions for kidnapping the junkie? Being an absent father to his kids? Being a drunk on and off duty? Ah, nothing.

But his reprocussions for jumping the chain of command? Sent to boat duty.

For faking murders? Can no longer being an investigative cop. Give me a fucking break :lol: Fucking Prez cold clocked a kid and killed a cop and he becomes a teacher. :lol: :lol: Cops could do no wrong in the show, and the worst ones were white. Herc? Beating the fuck outta people got him a sweet security gig.

the Resident Evil anime on Netflix was cool. Only 4 episodes though
Been watching Demon Slayer on Netflix also, good shit!
and Bad Batch on Disney+ has been damn awesome. So glad Star Wars is back.

“Dead Ringers”: Poppy Liu Joins the Cast of Amazon Series Based on David Cronenberg’s Horror Movie.
Morgan Creek Entertainment is currently working on a small screen adaptation of David Cronenberg‘s Dead Ringers, with Rachel Weisz starring in and exec producing the adaptation.

Today brings an update, with Deadline reporting that Poppy Liu (“Hacks”) has joined a cast that also includes the previously announced Michael Chernus (Werewolves Within).

Billed as “a reimagining with a gender swap,” the project has been given a straight-to-series order by Amazon. It comes from Weisz, Alice Birch, Annapurna Television and Morgan Creek.

Deadline describes, “In Dead Ringers, written by Birch, The Mantle twins, played by Weisz, are the most successful, brilliant and extraordinary people you’ve never met. Identical from head to toe, these two OB-gyn’s are on a mission to change the way women birth, starting with Manhattan. Drugs, pioneering but very much illegal medical research, sex and falling in love, this drama based on the David Cronenberg 80s cult classic, takes us to darker and stranger territory than we could have possibly imagined.”

“Liu will play Greta, Beverly and Elliot’s watchful and meticulous house manager who runs their lives with complete efficiency and her own hidden agenda,” Deadline explains.

The site also notes that the series “is said to explore themes like women’s health and the issues it faces, including underfunding, as it focuses on the two professional women, the Mantle twins, who are excellent at their jobs while also trying to navigate life outside of work. In the series, the Mantle twins share everything: drugs, lovers, and an unapologetic desire to do whatever it takes, including pushing the boundaries on medical ethics in an effort to challenge antiquated practices and bring women’s healthcare to the forefront.”

Jeremy Irons starred in the 1988 film as the twin gynecologists.

91HJRCpSUVL._RI_.jpg

Recently noticed that Stan finally added the second season of Mystery Road so I've been watching that and nothing else really. I'm not sure how available the series is outside of Australia but it's a shame it hasn't seemed to catch on. Like most Australian stuff it's probably too local to translate and this show especially, since it takes place in rural towns steeped in outback lingo and within that there's even a lot of aboriginal lingo, is probably held back by it.

Still, anybody who likes the idea of a rural Australian take on the True Detective aesthetic (don't take this too literally, it's not as good/abstract as that show) with the brooding music and grizzly details, rife with rich subtext, should give this series a go. Aaron Pedersen is so watchable I swear. So far the second season is dipping its toes into subjects like neocolonialism and how western archaeology exploits indigenous land owners. Pretty interesting thing to explore alongside the main police procedural genre elements.

Yeah I agree with that assessment. The movie (of the same name) and Goldstone were also just as watchable.
Aaron plays a good role as do so many the supporting cast.
Not sure about the up coming series 3 given that it will be a prequel without Aaron in it.

Reactions: CiG
Not sure about the up coming series 3 given that it will be a prequel without Aaron in it.

Yeah this was a bummer to find out about. Mark Coles Smith is playing a young Jay Swan but I'm not very familiar with him so I dunno. Might suck. If they keep the tone the same it will at least be worth checking out I suppose.

Oh and it's being filmed in Kalgoorlie which is cool.

Reactions: Slammed
I remember him from Micallef's Mad as Hell and Halifax. He's not a bad actor but I think if they remain true to what we know of Jay Swan he's got a hard role to fill. From the history we've been given with Pederson in the role Jay's had a pretty hard life, both hard living and hard fighting to get where he did. I'll still watch it when it comes out but I do like Pederson and would like to see them continue the story.

Hey CiG not sure if you've seen Last Cab To Darwin but the young aboriginal guy that Michael Canton's character picks up along the way is the guy who will play the role of Jay Swan. I'd forgotten he was in that, he played a good role along side Michael, if he can take some of that into Mystery Road he should do a pretty good job.

Finished with season two of Mystery Road and since I recently watched Taylor Sheridan's new movie Those Who Wish Me Dead (which was awesome) I decided to rewatch season one of Yellowstone. Forgot how much crazy shit goes down in just the first few episodes.

First season is, especially if you like Taylor Sheridan's style. I think I remember Dak saying the following seasons go downhill though.