The Official Good Television Thread

Ha, yeah I was definitely vibing on the weird creepiness of small New England coastal towns. Started writing it after visiting a town in Maine.

Still trying to figure out how the hell to finish that shit.

Reactions: CiG
I think this is why there are so many tangents. Exploring the locale is crucial to the narrative mood
don't remember sharp well enough, but maybe I'm underestimating the difficulty between understanding the local dynamics & forcing a view to the viewers.
Priest thing , for example, was not a dynamic but rather forced. The man wasn't known for his past but was depicted that way...
but! It was a fun show , I don't think it should generate this kind of discussion. Good show to throw on, and see what unfolds.

I also wouldn't say new, I don't know how far back this goes but Twin Peaks also did this. I would say Law and Order doesn't, but I don't watch all procedurals.

Last edited:
Twin Peaks might be a good early example. And there are probably others, but it seems to be a trend as of late on HBO.
going back to my other point about movies.from the non Hollywood types, I think these big wigs are recognizing that these shallower shows make the bucks and there's plenty to go around. That damn queen's Gambit was majorly pointless, uninteresting and really shallow. Yet! It took over the world for a few weeks :lol:

i was glad TQG did well just ‘cause it got more people into chess tbh, and the chess side of it was actually well researched with kasparov’s input etc.

Reactions: CiG
i was glad TQG did well just ‘cause it got more people into chess tbh, and the chess side of it was actually well researched with kasparov’s input etc.

I'm sure the chess games in TQG hold up to scrutiny, but I felt like the show didn't present them in a way where you could actually follow the games if you're watching it in real-time. I seem to remember that most of the chess games were just depicted as musical montages without commentary, as if the show was only interested in the aesthetics of chess. I didn't hate it or anything but it made me wish there was an anime/manga about chess (well, other than the impeccable Code Geass) since that's the only medium that seems to regularly delve into the strategy and psychology of games.

I'm sure the chess games in TQG hold up to scrutiny, but I felt like the show didn't present them in a way where you could actually follow the games if you're watching it in real-time. I seem to remember that most of the chess games were just depicted as musical montages without commentary, as if the show was only interested in the aesthetics of chess. I didn't hate it or anything but it made me wish there was an anime/manga about chess (well, other than the impeccable Code Geass) since that's the only medium that seems to regularly delve into the strategy and psychology of games.

Agreed.

i haven’t seen a second of it btw, i kind of assumed it’d be mediocre but i suppose i’ll have to watch it as a chess guy. would totally watch a chess anime too.

The upcoming Resident Evil series is really nailing the casting...

Vikings
Game of thrones
Breaking bad
Curb your enthusiasm
Bobs burgers
Burn notice
Prison break
Justified

There are more but I wont drag it all out in one post haha

Also, I'm aware there's some tack in my list, but lets be honest, tvs full of tack, just that these are the ones I find more tolerable.