The Official Good Television Thread

I remember that show. He had to retire not long after it or the show was ended because he had to retire from memory.
I also remember him in The Wanderers.

Yeah he left after doing 3 seasons due to some beef he had with CBS and the direction they were taking the show, then they did one more season with a whole new character in the lead.

Reactions: Slammed
Oh that's right they changed the lead role and it wasn't the same.
He broke his neck or spine or something which brought an end to his career, and one of his daughters turned up as a cover girl in something from memory.

3 seasons for an cop show wasn't too bad in those days but it's still a bummer they couldn't keep it going.

Reactions: CiG
First season of Invincible was absolutely killer. I know nobody needs another fucking superhero thing to watch but this might honestly be my favorite thing in the genre right now.

i actually loved the Invincible comic and i actually didn't even know it was made into a cartoon till just now
i'm prolly gonna watch this at some point

I actually just started rewatching Dexter over the long weekend. Loved the first four seasons, but stopped watching during season 5. Gonna go through the whole thing this time to get ready for the new season.

I actually just started rewatching Dexter over the long weekend. Loved the first four seasons, but stopped watching during season 5. Gonna go through the whole thing this time to get ready for the new season.
WARNING
season 8 sucked

I wouldn't bother with seasons 5-8 if I were you.
re-watching the first four seasons are good enough prep to watch new season 9
the things that made you stop watching season 5 just get worse with seasons 6-7-8

The books actually explain Dexter, the dark passenger, the code and where it all leads. The TV series biggest downfall was that they couldn't wait for Lindsay to write the follow ups and therefore TV Dexter became a different character to what he should have been.

Mare of Easttown is well worth a watch.

Also been enjoying The Mosquito Coast, even if it isn't at all faithful to the book (a favourite of mine). The book really focuses on the survivalist element; a family rejecting consumerist society and trying to become self-sufficient in the wilds of Honduras. Kind of like a modern day Walden. The TV series so far embellishes the story of how the family gets to Honduras with a Breaking Bad-esque plot involving Mexican cartels. Entertaining enough, but I hope series 2 gets more into the spirit of the book.

I don’t think it had any more tangents than True Detective (S1) or Sharp Objects. I see all three shows as related and part of a new serial genre that HBO seems to be pursuing. It’s the regional procedural, limited/anthology series in which seasons tend to emplace a largely straightforward mystery in the environs of a very particular town or region. In doing so, the place becomes as much of a mystery as the ostensible one that informs the plot.

I think this is why there are so many tangents. Exploring the locale is crucial to the narrative mood.