The Official Good Television Thread

thriller? feel like that isn't appropriate for 80% of the show

I absolutely consider it a thriller. The series routinely culminates in moments of heightened suspense unlike anything you'll find in the other canonized TV shows.

Reactions: CiG
Just finished The West Wing. Enjoyable, but the show kinda dragged halfway through. The transition to a new candidate campaigning was a much needed change of pace. The ending was anti-climatic and left much to be desired.

finally got around to finishing squid game. liked it very much, pretty good ride. not sure it added anything new to the genre or something like that, but very much worth everyone's time.

Walter finding out he's terminal is the first episode, so by the end of the first season (end of the first episode?) it was pretty fucking obvious that walter dying was going to be an event in the series finale

kinda like how every one knew that the starship called Voyager was going to get back to Earth as the series finale of Star Trek Voyager as soon as we saw the first fucking episode

You have an unearned sense of confidence.
what the hell is that supposed to mean exactly??

but seriously though
i knew from the get-go that breaking bad's series finale was going to involve Walter's death
and maybe the details of his death (or other details of the final episode) were "shocking" or whatever
but honestly the fact that Walter died in the series finale really shouldn't have surprised anyone at all
i knew from day one that the series finale was going to involve Walter dying
i was just waiting for the series finale to see HOW he died

You're a fucking retard.
yeah
sometimes i say retarded things
but is this really one of those moments??

@Vegard Pompey
am i really the only one who was totally expecting walter's death to be an event happening in the series finale??

Walter finding out he's terminal is the first episode, so by the end of the first season (end of the first episode?) it was pretty fucking obvious that walter dying was going to be an event in the series finale

kinda like how every one knew that the starship called Voyager was going to get back to Earth as the series finale of Star Trek Voyager as soon as we saw the first fucking episode

i knew from the get-go that breaking bad's series finale was going to involve Walter's death
and maybe the details of his death (or other details of the final episode) were "shocking" or whatever
but honestly the fact that Walter died in the series finale really shouldn't have surprised anyone at all
i knew from day one that the series finale was going to involve Walter dying
i was just waiting for the series finale to see HOW he died

yes
i can admit that the series finale was pretty fucking horrible
but
in my head at least,
Walter dying was always going to be a scene in the series finale

When I don't feel like watching Breaking Bad I've been rewatching Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Such a good show, so amazingly well crafted and epic in scale. Fucking sucks that Netflix cancelled the planned second season, I would have loved to see them cover the Garthim War.

I find myself "rooting" for Walter because for as terrible of a person as he reveals himself to be (and to have been all along) there's a clear element of self-actualization to his arc. I want to see this downtrodden man become a feared drug kingpin, even though it has disastrous consequences for everyone around him.

It's interesting to me how differently this kind of character progression is handled in Better Call Saul. With every step that Jimmy McGill takes towards becoming Saul Goodman, I wince (gilligan) because it feels like something of value is lost. Jimmy could've led a good life on the right side of the law. With Walt, there was only ever Heisenberg or mediocrity.
but of course
Walt's diagnosis of being terminal is what makes Heisenberg able to come out
without Walt finding out he was terminal, Walt's life would have continued to be the mediocrity thing
if Walt was terminal without ever finding out about it and his terminal condition just killed him in his sleep without him ever knowing that death was "coming soon" then "Heisenberg" would never have been anything more than just a voice in Walter's head
and watching the last 5 years of Walter's life would have been the most boring TV show ever