The Official Good Television Thread

2 episodes into Copenhagen Cowboy, Refn's new Netflix series, and I already like it a lot.

Leaving aside the typical Refnisms like the steady camera work and the brooding neons, it's actually kinda Lynchian. Very mysterious and nightmarish, and playing with the darkness that hides just beneath the surface of normalcy.

So far I think it's a big step up from his last series Too Old to Die Young. Feels much more coherent. Probably helps that the episodes aren't movie length like his last series. That shit was so unnecessary.

I started watching Wreck last night. BBC horror comedy set on a cruise liner. It's probably going to turn out to be shit but it's only 6 eps and it's free.

Personal disclaimer: I have never played any of the games.
The first episode of The Last of Us is fucking epic! Perfectly layered out and does not do any drawn out scenes. The action sequences were great and even though they have toned down the violence, it didn't take anything away from it in a negative way. CGI was top shelf and the opening sequence was absolutely chilling! If the rest of the season is this good then I think TLOU has broken the curse!

Stoopid fucking TV stations.
Miracle Workers S4 with Harry Potter and Steve Buscemi has been taken off the January release schedule without a new air date.
S4 is a complete rip off of Mad Max 3.

I am three episodes into Tulsa King. It is certainly no masterpiece but the dialogue has charm and is amusing and Stallone is holding his own well for his first tv show venture. Taylor Sheridan is certainly carving out his empire in the TV world.

View attachment 32286

Two episodes to go and I like it. One of the better US TV series in the past decade.

Untitled.jpg

Since I finished season 3 of Yellowstone and season 4 of The Sopranos, I decided to watch something else before jumping into the next seasons of both. Chose to try this out based on some praise from @AbelTim.

Ended up watching 3 episodes back-to-back. Really cool stuff with a huge graphic novel/Watchmen kinda vibe. Basically it's set in the 70's where a bunch of Nazis (doctors, camp officials, military etc) are secretly living in America and a vigilante group hunts them down. Very graphic, really well shot too. It genuinely surprised me by how cool it is.

Dylan Baker is so good.

Reactions: AbelTim
Do you say that because they completely changed Bill and Frank's story?

Nah, I don't care about the game - I think it's possibly the most overrated video game of all time - just thought telling a deep, emotional storyline like that needs far more time and character development to have the desired impact. Seemed totally shorehorned in and ultimately pointless imo

Reactions: CiG
Nah, I don't care about the game - I think it's possibly the most overrated video game of all time - just thought telling a deep, emotional storyline like that needs far more time and character development to have the desired impact. Seemed totally shorehorned in and ultimately pointless imo
I think we disagree about it being "utter horsepiss" and the "time" thing but I definitely agree that it felt shoehorned and it was mostly pointless.
It was basically a well-written, nicely directed filler episode lol. Bill existed to give them a vehicle. That's it.

They only have 9 episodes to create lots of chemistry between Joel and Ellie and they wasted like an hour on two side characters. The letter Bill left Joel was pretty important imo because it reminded Joel that he failed Tess and his new purpose should be to protect Ellie, but did we really need that whole side plot to make that point?

Reactions: Slayed Necros
I think we disagree about it being "utter horsepiss" and the "time" thing but I definitely agree that it felt shoehorned and it was mostly pointless.
It was basically a well-written, nicely directed filler episode lol. Bill existed to give them a vehicle. That's it.

They only have 9 episodes to create lots of chemistry between Joel and Ellie and they wasted like an hour on two side characters. The letter Bill left Joel was pretty important imo because it reminded Joel that he failed Tess and his new purpose should be to protect Ellie, but did we really need that whole side plot to make that point?

Haha I'm admittedly biased and unreasonably harsh. It's still not a complete write-off for me but I'm pretty skeptical going forward

Keeping with the tradition of never watching anything you fuckers watch, I've been watching.

The Cockfields. UK Comedy with Joe Wilkinson and Sue Johntson

Hard Cell. UK Comedy with Catherine Tate.

Riptide. UK/Australia mystery filmed in Australia by the producer of Neighbours, with several Neighbours cast member in it.

I actually rate shows by how long it takes me to asleep. 5 minutes is a good show, 10 minutes is a boring shit show and not worth watching.

I saw Poker Face advertised last night and thought I might wait for a few more episodes and binge them to see it it's any good.

Oh okay, I didn't realise that. I read somewhere that it's a formula that has been long forgotten by TV producers and that's what has critics excited but the person who wrote it didn't say what that formula was.