The Official Good Television Thread

(Wrong thread I know.)

Dickhead :p
But I fixed it just to add some confusion to the mix.

@Slammed I was meaning to ask you, how did you feel about Wolf Creek season 2 fleshing out a lot more of Mick's worldview?

(Wrong thread I know.)

I thought it was very interesting how it established his personal philosophy for how he justifies his crimes. He talks about how, as a descendant of a penal colony, it's his job to take care of foreign pests like rabbits, foxes, wild pigs, tourists etc.

That part was always pretty much implied in the movies (he hates Brits, Kiwis, Americans etc) but in that season we see for maybe the first time ever his larrikin mask slip when he's forced to kill the 3 aboriginal blokes. For one, he doesn't outright kill them, he fires a warning shot and tells them to leave (I was so surprised) and then when they return to try and help the tourists he's forced to kill them and he takes no pleasure in it. Then when one of them survives and goes to get Tommy Lewis (!!!!) and they try to ambush Mick, he kills them, walks over to Tommy and says "it's over, dingo man" in an aboriginal language and then says angrily "fucking tourists" because this all resulted in 3 dead aboriginals.

Holy shit it was so much new insight into his profile that I wasn't expecting.

I think it worked okay for a tv series, where they have more time to explore characters, it wouldn't have worked in the movie though. I found it interesting that they chose to put it in the second series, seems more like the information they'd want to get out in the first series. Also with no plans yet for a 3 series it nearly feels like they used it as filler to bulk out the second series.

As far as the information we learnt it think it made Mick more relatable, i.e he's not just some dude with his brain wired wrong living in the bush. There has been plenty of slasher movies, horror movies, even shit movies, where the killer has just wandered around the bush with either a poor story or none at all. Right, wrong or otherwise Mick's now got some depth. Explaining Mick better has allowed for more story, possibly even a better story as far as I'm concerned.

If they do make a third series I think they'd be mad not to use the information we learnt from S2. I suppose there is the risk of information overload if they don't do it right but they also have the opportunity to make it better.

Reactions: CiG
I loved every drop of it. Giving him some standards definitely makes him more human and relatable, and also more interesting as a antagonist. Definitely agree they should use it for a 3rd season if they end up doing one. Might just be me but I think that kind of info sets up a perfect opportunity to have the next protagonist be an aboriginal. Would make for some amazing back-and-forth dialogue.

Reactions: Slammed
I agree, the information that they have allowed by creating the back story could easily fill a series of 6 or 8 episodes. I fear that if they don't use such information but still make a third series Mick will just become another slasher. They kind of did it with the second movie. As much as it was still a good movie they really didn't expand on anything too much and that made the story suffer.

I kind of see it the same was as I see Terrifier now. We still know very little about Art, but there has been snippets of information dropped that give the viewer something to think about. If Art had just gone around killing I doubt a third movie would be warranted, whereas now plenty of people are actually waiting an hoping for a third. Mick would be the same give him depth, give him character and he's got a chance to keep going.

Overall I agree, but I slightly disagree about Wolf Creek 2's story. Mick letting the British guy live at the end added some new flavour to his character I felt. Nothing super interesting, but it also showed up again with the ending of season 2. The idea of him letting some people survive to goad detectives or because he knows they'll end up in looney bins with their wild tales of a mad big hunter in the outback is pretty interesting/amusing.

Reactions: Slammed
You're probably right, it's been a long time since I saw WC2 but I remember thinking at the time that I liked the first one better.

I should go back to WC and watch them both again, probably even try and get the series to re-watch. In fact I might do it when the kids go back to school next year.

I have finished up Gangs of London s2. No where near as good as the first series but the main antagonist is a fucking monster! His scenes stand out throughout even when he is not the centre of attention. I felt the action sequences were toned down a fair bit (almost like their budget had been cut back) and some were the aftermath after the violence. The CGI this time around seemed more amateur. Another negative aspect for me was the dark lighting utilized throughout. Something I have seen in a number of films and tv shows. The plot was also a bit weaker. Still overall a fun watch with some great deaths!

I'm halfway through Gangs of London s02 and so far I'm also feeling that it's a significant downgrade from season 1. From what I've read, Gareth Evans was nowhere near as involved as he was with s01 so that may be a factor. The action scenes are still good but don't give me that "I can't believe this is a TV series"-feeling that s01 did. And the writing is starting to feel verrrry soapy.

I have also reached the penultimate episode of the Netflix supernatural drama Hellbound. For some unbeknownst reason though it has been compared with Squid Game. But then I literally think that's because some nitwits out there think anything put out from that region is all the same. In a nutshell, this show is pretty wild from a theological perspective. The CGI is ropey in places but it doesn't happen too often and the main focus is on the characters and storyline which is pretty good in my opinion. A clever look on how public hysteria can run away from itself quickly.

Finished watching Irreverant last night. Started out a bit silly but got better towards the end, hopefully we'll see a S2.

Finished 1899. It's far inferior to Dark, and very mediocre overall. I'll probably give S2 a try and see if they recover; the show tries to pull a major twist at the end of S1, but it feels contrived and derivative in light of some recent cinema (which I won't name so as not to spoil for potential viewers). I must admit a very base curiosity as to the storyline behind the reveal, which is the reason for my continued interest--provided Netflix doesn't cancel the show, a likely possibility given what I have to assume are high production costs.
200.gif

Reactions: Einherjar86