The Official Good Television Thread

Rome was great. Great actors. Ciaran Hinds was amazing as Caesar. Rest of the cast was excellent too.

I like The Tudors also. And that actress who plays Anne Boleyn is hot.

Rome was great. Great actors. Ciaran Hinds was amazing as Caesar. Rest of the cast was excellent too.

I like The Tudors also. And that actress who plays Anne Boleyn is hot.

Yeah, Natalie Dormer is quite the looker

nataliedor_grani_6503879_400.jpg

That and they ran out of history. Once you get to the reign of Augustus, you can't have any continuity and a good story. You'd have to get a whole new cast and play a different part of Roman history.

True. They definitely chose the best period to do. The fall of Caesar and the rise of Augustus are timeless. That first season of Rome was just so epic. The arena fight with Titus and Vorenus was ace (some fucking awesome effects), and I'll never forget the final episode. It still gives me chills.

@Zeph: Having studied Roman culture closely, do you think Rome was pretty historically accurate? What didn't they get right? Obviously I know that the plot regarding Vorenus and Titus was contrived. I was wondering about the larger plot events and the depiction of Roman culture.

@Zeph: Having studied Roman culture closely, do you think Rome was pretty historically accurate? What didn't they get right? Obviously I know that the plot regarding Vorenus and Titus was contrived. I was wondering about the larger plot events and the depiction of Roman culture.

It didn't fuck with any historical events, but took liberties regarding the circumstances. Atia and Servillia were real people but their rivalry is total fiction. Same goes for Pullo and Vorenus. They had no involvement in any of the events that the show depicted. However, they weren't pulled out of thin air. Pullo and Vorenus were mentioned in the actual writings of Julius Caesar as two centurions who competed with each other for glory.