The Official Good Television Thread

Is anyone else watching Severance? Holy shit, this show is fucking dark. I’m loving it though.

It feels like the story that Philip K. Dick never wrote. Strong satirical vibes running throughout, but doesn’t devolve entirely into allegory. Also, the cinematography (in the first episode especially) is stunning.

It’s described as a dark comedy, and although parts are funny I would say that social horror is more apt. The vibe feels like Get Out but critiquing capitalism rather than race.

Last edited:
which ones do you like??
which ones do you hate??

I like the Bosch series on Amazon that just finished its final season. I haven't seen it all but what I did see so far has been great. The sequel series Bosch: Legacy is supposed to start May 6th on a different streaming service if I remember correctly.

I tried to watch Big Sky but gave up on that one because it was so completely different in a lot of ways that I just didn't really care that much.

Always liked the Spenser: For Hire series that aired on ABC in the 80's.

I tried that True Detective series on HBO, but couldn't get into it.

Trying to think of others that I like so I might come back to add more later.

Is anyone else watching Severance? Holy shit, this show is fucking dark. I’m loving it though.

It feels like the story that Philip K. Dick never wrote. Strong satirical vibes running throughout, but doesn’t devolve entirely into allegory. Also, the cinematography (in the first episode especially) is stunning.

It’s described as a dark comedy, and although parts are funny I would say that social horror is more apt. The vibe feels like Get Out but critiquing capitalism rather than race.

I appreciate your posts here, you really seem to have your ear to the ground when it comes to good television. I ended up checking this out. I'm five episodes in and as long as it doesn't shit the bed like Devs did in the remaining four this is the best new TV series I've seen in years.

Small theory on where things are going:

Helly's "outie" will turn out to be allied with the same people who helped Petey reintegrate, and we'll learn that Helly underwent the severance procedure in order to investigate Lumon from the inside.

Reactions: Einherjar86
I appreciate your posts here, you really seem to have your ear to the ground when it comes to good television. I ended up checking this out. I'm five episodes in and as long as it doesn't shit the bed like Devs did in the remaining four this is the best new TV series I've seen in years.

Likewise! Yeah, I have high hopes for Severance, so we'll see (the ending of Devs was truly terrible).

I didn't read your theory yet because we've only watched the first three episodes. When we reach five I'll check it out.

Just watched the first episode of "We Own this City". Obviously only one episode in, but this is certainly no where as gritty as David Simon's "The Wire". Jon Bernthal is on fire as per but it is a solid ensemble cast with at least one person I recognise from "The Wire". Also has British actress Wunmi Mosaku (of His House) as a civil rights lawyer. Only 6 episodes in this series. I reckon it will be a limited one. I am finding tv series are quite short as of late. Overall though, I think this crime drama will play out well from what I've seen so far.

Also who here is watching "Moon Knight"? A very underwhelming show. The writing is really fucking it over.

WE-OWN-THIS-CITY-PS-JON-BERNTHAL.jpg

Last edited:
5 episodes into Euphoria and I absolutely love this show!

Euphoria is batshit. I find it entertaining but mostly watch it to see what the kids are up to these days.

I finished the season. The show is stupid good.

Agreed, loved the entire season. I really liked your theory, would have been a cool way to go.

For me, I thought the show balanced its satire/humor with dystopian bleakness quite well. When you see how dismissive, if not outright tyrannical, the outies are toward their innies, it's devastating. I also appreciated the final twist about Mark's wife.

I'm excited to go further into the mythology of this company in later seasons. The cult-like atmosphere is like a cross between tech startups and scientology. Obviously Apple is the implicit target, but I feel like the cultish elements are more like Theranos, wework, and other more recent failures. The irony in Severance is that this company has manufactured its success, likely through the severance procedure and its totalitarian separation of departments.

Reactions: CiG
Could you say it's the generation x's Skins?

I've never seen Skins so I couldn't tell ya. Also I think you meant gen z.

I've seen people say Euphoria is like a fucked up Degrassi, but I haven't seen that either. It's just fucking amazing is all I can say.

The way it ties together a shitload of different moving parts across multiple timelines is really good, its grasp on certain social issues feels more sophisticated than the average socially aware cinema or show. The cinematography and camera work is really good, really cinematic and bombastic. The way it subverts certain tropes or stereotypes is refreshing. The cast literally has no weak links. It's funny, sad, dark, even at times quite graphic and violent.

Unless the second season nosedives, I don't see how this doesn't become one of my favourite shows.

Reactions: AbelTim
I've never seen Skins so I couldn't tell ya. Also I think you meant gen z.

I've seen people say Euphoria is like a fucked up Degrassi, but I haven't seen that either. It's just fucking amazing is all I can say.

The way it ties together a shitload of different moving parts across multiple timelines is really good, its grasp on certain social issues feels more sophisticated than the average socially aware cinema or show. The cinematography and camera work is really good, really cinematic and bombastic. The way it subverts certain tropes or stereotypes is refreshing. The cast literally has no weak links. It's funny, sad, dark, even at times quite graphic and violent.

Unless the second season nosedives, I don't see how this doesn't become one of my favourite shows.
It would be cool to see Zendaya in a good role because she was utter shite in the first Tom Holland Spiderman film.

That's because the writing in the Spider-Man movies is trash. Sam Levinson who created Euphoria did a Netflix movie with her called Malcolm & Marie. Watch that if you doubt her talent. One of the best movies of 2021.

Also she was cool in Dune, not that we got to see much of her yet.

Reactions: AbelTim
Best thing I've watched lately is Beforeigners. Set in modern day Oslo where regular time glitches occur and there are mass 'migrations' of people from the Viking age and the 1800s. The world-building is great, and it riffs on typical refugee issues like integration, social welfare and ghettoisation. It follows two cops investigating the murder of a Viking girl. One of the cops is Norway's first Viking cop so she has to deal with accusations of tokenism and affirmative action. It's very funny too - eg the Vikings' most badass warrior becoming an Uber Eats bicycle delivery man.

Incredible premise, I'll have to check that out!

Sounds amazing!

Fucking awesome.

Did any of you end up checking out this show? Series 2 was released recently. It has a cool premise - a series of murders which suggests Jack the Ripper has "timeigrated" to the present - though didn't enjoy it as much as the first. It's still funny but gets a bit hung up on time travel aspects and I think it should've stayed true to its strengths, ie a fish-out-of-water comedy/drama.

Reactions: CiG