The official metal 2011 thread

Yea I'm thinking a blind buy is in order for that full length.
M-A says profound lore is releasing it, so it'll be < $12 shipped to the US and canada.

Can anyone recommend some great new albums along the NWN!,HHR vein or just awesome new albums in general to blow a few hundred $ on,some great new bestial/war metal in particular would be sick.

Boris - Attention Please is on YouTube now. It feels like a half-finished version of New Album. I think only two of the tracks are better than their alternate versions. I strongly prefer New Album, dance-pop moments and all.

These two tracks demonstrates best the ways that New Album just feels more finished to me. The electronic flourishes and all really work for me. I will say that the acoustic instrumental version of this on Attention Please is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I much prefer Attention Please but i think you need to listen to all 3 albums they have come out this year to really appreciate each album.

Attention Please just seemed so sparse and like it had a lot of dead space. Lack of climactic finish really hurts, especially considering the band's track record in that regard. I expect it'll end up on par with an album like Rainbow that had some awesome stuff but also was about half forgettable. I also wonder how much hearing New Album extensively first will affect my perception of the other versions of those songs.

Still waiting to hear the full new Heavy Rocks album, and pretty excited about that.

Attention Please just seemed so sparse and like it had a lot of dead space. Lack of climactic finish really hurts, especially considering the band's track record in that regard. I expect it'll end up on par with an album like Rainbow that had some awesome stuff but also was about half forgettable. I also wonder how much hearing New Album extensively first will affect my perception of the other versions of those songs.

Still waiting to hear the full new Heavy Rocks album, and pretty excited about that.

I found Heavy Rocks Purple pretty weird. It sounds almost like a stoner rock version of New Album/Attention Please. Theres only a few songs on the album that are as heavy as the songs on HRO. The 2 doom/drone songs were pretty welcome since the other two albums were completely devoid of that style.

WITTR said:
Black metal cultivators WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM are currently fully immersed in the process of harvesting their next full-length album.

The new album, though still untitled, will be the third WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM full-length for Southern Lord Recordings. Aaron and Nathan Weaver, the founding and only full-time members of the band, will collaborate once again with producer/mystic Randall Dunn (Earth, Sunn O))), Boris) who produced WITTR&#8217;s mammoth Two Hunters and Black Cascade albums.

This week Aaron Weaver supplied some insight on the creation of the new album. &#8220;I got into a daily rhythm of greeting the weak winter sun in the morning, working outside in the rain until midday, then retiring to our studio to work on the music late into the night. I did this nearly every day for two months. Quite a monastic lifestyle actually. I didn&#8217;t see many people. We were totally lost inside the record. Once the record was conceived from beginning to end, we met with Randall and started to slowly build the tracks at his studio in Seattle. I think that this album will be the best thing that Wolves in the Throne Room has created. We&#8217;ve never been able to devote this much time to writing and recording. It feels like this will be the culmination of everything we&#8217;ve done up to this point.&#8221;

In addition to the Weaver brothers, the album will also feature vocal contributions from Jessika Kenny, who contributed so much to the transcendent tone of the band&#8217;s massive Two Hunters album.

More information on the album will be brought forth in the coming weeks, as the band complete the album and prepare for a surely busy year of WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM actions worldwide.

Doesnt say if its going to be out on 2011 or not but this is still welcome news.

In 2011 it was announced, that next Drudkh album will be recorded in spring/summer. It will mark a return to the band's roots - long emotional compositions in vein of pagan black metal, inspired by nature and seasons change. However, the post-rock direction, that was present at Handful of Stars, will be developed in new project entitled Old Silver Key by Drudkh members with famous French artist Neige from Alcest and other bands on vocals.

Cant believe i missed this.

Wow, I'm really excited for the new Drudkh album (Microcosmos was great, but A Handful of Stars was... eh), as well as whatever Wolves In The Throne Room will release in the future!

fuck yeah, Varoehn (?) from Pensees Nocturnes emailed me back and he'll send me a copy of the new disc when he gets them in next week :D

It looks like it's a one-track-album too, should be interesting. Will have to order it. PN is not something I listen to regularly, but when I'm in the mood for it, it's perfect.

While on the topic of Avant Garde Metal, new Unexpect is pretty good:

Also liking new Ouroboros:

Last edited by a moderator: