The Official Movie Thread

Manic Ferocity

Nov 5, 2006
What kind of movies do you guys like? It's horror/exploitation movies for me. Collecting obscure b-movies is like a secondary hobby for me next to my music collecting addiction.

I don't really have a favorite genre of film. I just like shit that is good. In particular I like some Kurosawa films, some of Fellini's shit, The Seventh Seal, Grave of the Fireflies, and some other shit. Oh and I also love both of the Wayne's World movies. :kickass:

I like many types of movies. Just as long as it's good. Genre doesn't really matter to me.

Comedies that you should all see:

The Aristocrats.
Noises Off!

I don't really have a favorite genre of film. I just like shit that is good. In particular I like some Kurosawa films, some of Fellini's shit, The Seventh Seal, Grave of the Fireflies, and some other shit. Oh and I also love both of the Wayne's World movies. :kickass:

Hell yeah, Kurosawa rules. 'RAN' might be the best film I've ever seen. A few other favourites are The Deer Hunter, Lone Wolf & Cub Series (Particularly 'Baby Cart at the River Styx'), Seven Samurai, The Wild Bunch, The Proposition, The Departed, Chopper (Funniest film ever), Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Braindead (Dead Alive, for the Americans) and a slew of others I always forget.

In general, mostly mind-twisting fucked up stuff, futuristic/apocalyptic like 1984, Brazil, Blade Runnner, good horror (Exorcist, Rosemary's baby, The Thing, Saw), good sci-fi (Solyaris, STII, Metropolis, SW). Anything by Hitchcock or Lynch. Donnie Darko was alright but the only explanation I can come up with for the ending is stupidly simple. Oh, and the Good, the Bad and the Ugly slays :kickass:

I only saw Saw once, the concept seemed pretty good. Maybe I should re-evaluate? But yeah, it's nowhere near the best of the genre

Seriously, about donnie darko. Is the whole story just that the guy goes through a whole bunch of bad stuff, finds a way to go back in time with the help of a rabbit, then does it? If there's more to it, then let me know!

The plot is surprisingly tight, given the proper analysis. It has some of the usual problems that time travel movies seem to have, but it ties together nicely if you buy in to the ground rules the movie sets. I mainly liked it because I found the main characters so emotionally convincing.

edit: You mean Donnie Darko, right?

Hell yeah, Kurosawa rules. 'RAN' might be the best film I've ever seen. A few other favourites are The Deer Hunter, Lone Wolf & Cub Series (Particularly 'Baby Cart at the River Styx'), Seven Samurai, The Wild Bunch, The Proposition, The Departed, Chopper (Funniest film ever), Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Braindead (Dead Alive, for the Americans) and a slew of others I always forget.

Yeah buddy. Ran is definitely one of my favorites as well. Everything I've seen by Kurosawa has been supreme.

I mainly thought the script and acting in Saw was laughably bad. I saw it in a theater when it came out, and a lot of people laughed through the second half of the movie. I suppose the idea was fair enough, but the execution definitely could have been better.

As for Donnie Darko, there's way more to the plot than you may have assumed. Everything that happens in the movie happens for a very good reason. Everything that Donnie is led to do by Frank (the rabbit) is part of a plan that will eventually lead Donnie to kill Frank to break the time loop to save the world. It's a real tragedy in that Donnie must fall in love so that he feels enough rage to kill Frank by the end of the movie. And then he dies, so his emotional ride has gone for nothing on his part. It just works really well. Make sure to see the director's cut.

1st saw was slightly above average as a horror flick. The rest of them were HORRIBLE though.

the worst fucking movie I have ever seen by far is "house of a 1000 corpses", I (for no reason whatsoever) forced myself to sit through that whole movie

I for the most part watch independent/foreign films. At this point, it is honestly so hard for me to watch an American/Hollywood film with out recognizing how bad they are, I just can't enjoy 99% of them.

Last four films watched, all good movies:
"Lola Rennt" (Germany)
"Pusher" (Denmark)
"Dobermann" (France) :headbang:
"Kontroll" (Hungary) :kickass:

I for the most part watch independent/foreign films. At this point, it is honestly so hard for me to watch an American/Hollywood film with out recognizing how bad they are, I just can't enjoy 99% of them.

"Lola Rennt" (Germany)
"Pusher" (Denmark)

i generally stay away from movies nowadays b/c most of what is in hollywood fucking sucks and I am 2 lazy to search for good movies

"Lola Rennt" (Germany)
"Pusher" (Denmark)

I totally agree with you, american movies have no feeling, I really hate those films packed with lots of fx but no story. I'll recommed You to see Infernal Affaires and Old Boy.
:headbang:

Reactions: Talos of Atmora
I liked House of 1000 Corpses, and The Devil's Rejects. I honestly thought they were enjoyable movies, especially compared to modern horror films. Cradle of Fear is also a favourite of mine, of course...I am a Cradle of Filth fan.

Donnie Darko was a pretty good movie. I don't understand how people think the movie was messed up or confuzing. It wasn't that hard to grasp for me.

And another movie I watched somewhat recently was "Sexy Beast" - I think this movie is overrated, I didn't think it was bad but it certainly wasn't good imo. I decided to watch it after hearing good things about it, and people telling me it was better than the great "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"! ...but not even close.

I totally agree with you, american movies have no feeling, I really hate those films packed with lots of fx but no story. I'll recommed You to see Infernal Affaires and Old Boy.
:headbang:

I shall read up upon those movies, as I haven't seen them yet but heard good things about them.

But yeah, I could probably publish a book with all the things wrong with Hollywood films. But yeah, essentially American/Hollywood films have nothing to offer that hasn't already been done to death. The movies are lacking character development I think usually they try to hard to give it a dynamic plot with multiple twist endings etc...and about a thousand other things lol. I hate CGI and fx!