The Official Movie Thread

Watched the latest Ghostbusters over the weekend. It was ok but I wasn't that impressed. There was some nice throwbacks with characters like Slimmer but for me the story just wasn't there.

Josh Lewis is great, very knowledgeable film critic that also champions a ton of underappreciated trashy genre movies. Discovered some good stuff through his letterboxd reviews and his podcast Sleazoids.

Haven't seen Civil War, from the reviews I've read it sounds like it's mostly just a road movie about photojournalists and that it's not interested in having much fun with the premise of a future, civil war-embroiled United States. I'm not in a rush to see it.
He gave Red Dawn 2 stars so I'm inclined to ignore anything he has to say.

He gave Red Dawn 2 stars so I'm inclined to ignore anything he has to say.

You do you but I wouldn't ignore anyone outright over a single rating (if I did I would have no country on ignore over his 3/5 rating for Seven Samurai.) I don't think his rating of Red Dawn boils down to political hand-wringing either since his review mentions a bunch of other jingoistic anti-communist films he thought were better.

So I saw this last night:

wergherh.jpg
Pretty interesting and unique. Don't think I've ever seen anything like it, like The Exorcist meets Network or something? Not sure it really measures up to the hype I'm seeing, but I can't help but love seeing Dastmalchian land a leading role people will probably talk about for years to come. He rules.

You do you but I wouldn't ignore anyone outright over a single rating (if I did I would have no country on ignore over his 3/5 rating for Seven Samurai.) I don't think his rating of Red Dawn boils down to political hand-wringing either since his review mentions a bunch of other jingoistic anti-communist films he thought were better.
I meant anything he has to say about Civil War lol. I should've been more clear. He gave Rambo (2008) a 4/5 so he can't be all bad.

Last edited:
Finally got to see it last night, but how? Lol it's like two different films. Pretty stark to see how much was left out of Lynchs and how it strayed from any thesis from Herbert while not doing anything himself.
That said, I believe Denis has made a nice and entertaining trilogy, but seriously lacking in some under-handed writing to sell the third movie. I don't think the character building justifies a third movie, could have added some chunk of time to this one and made it a two part finale.

Finally got to see it last night, but how? Lol it's like two different films. Pretty stark to see how much was left out of Lynchs and how it strayed from any thesis from Herbert while not doing anything himself.

I thought Villeneuve's second part was such a boringly literal adaptation that I felt like I had seen the whole movie before I actually saw it. Lynch's adaptation was corny, butchered by its producers and misunderstood its source material, but nothing in Villeneuve's version gave me the chills like the shitty greenscreen of Agent Cooper and Big Ed riding the sandworm as the Toto guitars kick in.

This 30-second scene is still better than the entire Villeneuve duology

Lol, I thought the sand work riding scene was actually cool in Denis version.

I swear I've heard that sleeper bit sampled in a metal song , does it ring a bell for you?

MV5BYzBmNDI5MjQtZTg1Mi00NTkzLTk3MzgtZjBmZDQyNzkyOTMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTAzMzg1MTI5._V1_.jpg
Saw Larry Fessenden's new werewolf movie last night. Very indie as expected but I really liked it, especially as it went on it grew on me.

He definitely captured the tragedy angle of his influences, the whole image of a wolf man skulking through the woods, dealing with the remorse of his brutal acts, destroyed romance, family drama, small town issues etc. Felt the most like Habit to me of anything else he's done. It's pretty graphic too and I don't think I saw any CGI. It's a very stripped back movie which is nice.

Also it has no bearing on the plot but there's a post credits scene where the main character bumps into Alex Breaux's character from Depraved, which means Larry now has his own cinematic universe lol.

I also saw Monkey Man the other day. Pretty awesome debut, but the amateurish camerawork held it back.