The Official Movie Thread

MAD MAX is no more retarded than SNOWPIERCER imo, and unlike that movie it doesn't lose all momentum in the final third due to falling in love with its own (not very) cleverness and explaining itself forevvvvvvver. not that i'm trying to shit on SNOWPIERCER, i like it a fair bit, just sayin'. the appeal of the two is actually pretty similar to me and i think MAX works more consistently as an action movie. i was gonna say before that APOCALYPTO is another one FURY ROAD reminded me of, and i had to defend that one from all the detractors too. and PREMIUM RUSH. i'd take all these (inc. SNOWPIERCER) over what has seemingly become the mainstream's idea of a great action movie - stuff like INCEPTION and AVENGERS.

i'm fine with THE HUNGER GAMES' use of a female lead and i hope more movies do follow in its stead. if it becomes trendy and commercially viable to have female leads more frequently in blockbusters then that's great. i think it was riskier in the context of MAD MAX though, given that the whole series has previously existed as a vehicle for an iconic male main character. no need to keep arguing about that though, it's barely relevant to how much i liked the movie.

Watched Gone Girl last night and it was really good but I didnt like the end. Rosamund Pike was excellent and Affleck was meh. Also David Fincher is great. His style just sucks you right in

Whiplash was damn good. Liked everything about it. The end was fantastic. It's been a long time since I rewinded a movie after it was done to watch certain scenes again. J.K. Simmons is fucking awesome

Action movies are great and I enjoy them in my own way, but I would never place Aliens or T2 as a top 5 film of all time or anything. Sure as shit not a 8.6 on IMDB or a 98% on RT.

Alien (not Aliens) to me is certainly in my top 10.

It just is better than the first two. The first two weren't important pieces of cinema anyway, they were just effective exploitation. So yes, they're topped by a better piece of exploitation.

Your first opinion is subjective so it's pointless arguing over it, but in what way aren't they important pieces of cinema? By what standard would you claim that? I think they're important, a) as an Australian they're obviously important to our cinematic history and b) they're pillars in the post-apocalypse/dystopian film genres.

I agree too, it's a sci-fi/horror, an action film (albeit not a straight up example of the genre) that I rate highly is First Blood, dunno if it breaks my top 10 but it's definitely up there for me.

I think First Blood has been improperly categorized as an action film. I would call it a drama. Probably one of the best PTSD/Veteran films out there, especially in the mainstream. Truly underrated.

I think First Blood has been improperly categorized as an action film. I would call it a drama. Probably one of the best PTSD/Veteran films out there, especially in the mainstream. Truly underrated.

There's no denying that there is a lot of action in the film though and of all the PTSD/veteran films I've seen it's probably the least cerebral.
Agree about it being underrated though, for sure.

Have you seen Combat Shock?

Eh there's like 3 sequences, but I think when a film is called action it loses out on any kind of provocation intellectually, so I have a hard time calling it that entirely.

Nah, never heard of Combat Shock though.

Eh there's like 3 sequences, but I think when a film is called action it loses out on any kind of provocation intellectually, so I have a hard time calling it that entirely.

Nah, never heard of Combat Shock though.

I was careful to say it's not a straight action film in my defence. :cool:

Definitely check out Combat Shock sometime though.

Herostratus was quite flawed but had amazing ideas and very cool stuff going on.

American Sniper was pretty watchable, made a bit like Hurt Locker, maybe not as good though.

NSFW:

Any of the fellow horror fans more into the surreal side of things aware of this?

http://www.artsploitationfilms.com/film/horsehead/

I have to admit that the whole "paying tribute to Bava and Argento" bit in description from the above link made my wince a bit. While Bava and Argento are undisputed masters and are personal heroes of mine, (*elitist pretentious cinephile soapbox warning) the last few years have seen a slew of shallow "homage" or "spot the reference" films which are just that, all reference and no originality, a trend which I loathe. This one however really looks to be a case of using the influence of the aforementioned masters and a healthy bit of Elm Street to create something unique. At least it looks that way from the trailer. Plus Fulci favorite Catriona MacColl doesn't seem to be the type to do a shit film at this point in her career. I know Richard Stanley's a supporter of the film, a trustworthy opinion if there ever was one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want to find a film where a hot milf forces a young guy to worship her feet.

Not hard to find.

Any of the fellow horror fans more into the surreal side of things aware of this?

http://www.artsploitationfilms.com/film/horsehead/

I fully agree with you in regards to this trend of homage films that almost always turn out hollow and disposable, I am a gore-hound but I like surreal horror too, but I've not ever heard of this film, I'll make sure to keep an eye out for it.
Without trying to sound pretentious, it's European so it's probably worth a try.
Though the trailer didn't impress or entice me very much, to be honest.

Saw the Amy Winehouse documentary this weekend. Not gonna lie, I didn't care about Amy Winehouse beforehand and probably laughed at some of the jokes about her death, but this had me choked up a couple of times.