The Official PPUSA VII Regrets thread

I, like many others, didn't socialize nearly enough. Everything else about the weekend was amazing, but for some reason I was much more social last year and this year turned ultra shy. It's a shame because where I live I barely find a metal fan, let alone someone with the great taste I'm sure a lot of people had this last weekend.

I prefer to not have “regrets” -- instead, here is my list of “Stuff to do for PPVIII”:

1. Purchase a digital camera that’s not on the “banned” list.
2. Print out my CD "wish list" and arrive early one night to spend some quality time in the vendor room.
3. Book an AFTERNOON flight home on Sunday.
4. The boots that look cool, but hurt my feet after an hour of standing? Leave 'em at home!
5. Book hotel room immediately after the dates are announced and (hopefully) avoid the “Special Event Rate.”
6. Buy CDs of the bands I’m not familiar with earlier. And actually listen to them.
7. Bring glasses to the venue for the last act of the evening. Contacts + smoke + smoke machine + 2:30 a.m. = :zombie:
8. Figure out which freaking “Peachtree” street Kroger is on and stock up on food before the local restaurants close on Saturday. :mad:
9. Take vacation days on Monday AND Tuesday after PPVIII. Hmmm…and might as well add on the Monday and Tuesday *before*…
10. Offer assistance with the “nametag” project.
11. Buy one of those memory improvement tapes in case #10 ends up on the “Stuff to do for PPIX” list…
12. No more Dan Brown books on the plane ride out (thus avoiding trying to finish said book 30 minutes before the pre-show starts).
13. Call air traffic control in Atlanta and helpfully remind them of the “one plane per runway” rule that is generally observed in other cities. :rolleyes:

Hmm
1. Not studying the poster/picture thread enough to assault more people I've chatted with on the forum.
2. Leaving my copy of "Recreation Day" at the dorm, so I couldn't get it signed.
3. Missing the parties Friday Night.

and... that's about it! The weekend was truly the best of the year, and you guys were so awesome. I love you all!

I only regret that I didn't invent a time machine so I could go back and watch Freak Kitchen twice.

Bear said:
I was going to say something about a regret that I thought I had but screw it. I have no regrets, it was an awesome weekend!!!

Bear
Ditto, but I'll try:
Not seeing more of FK's set according to everyone
Missing bare balls in 321 by only 3 min. or less.
Giving up smoking....something, lol, Roof? jk
Never finding another restaurant but Houlihans
Never making it to Krogers and making due with the convenience store
Leaving the poster in the venue

Can't think of anything else. Best PP experience ever, and each year I think it's impossible to top the last!

Meteornotes said:
Never got the chance. I'm not sure how to meet bands or band members, other than at a signing. It's also hard for me to go up to a complete stranger and talk to them. Ah well, the main reason to go was to see them live, and they did not disappoint in the slightest!

dt

Usually, just an extended hand and a "I enjoyed the hell out orf your set" is a good ice breaker. ;) The FK guys were a delight to be around, and were unbelievably cool to their fans, even to a couple who were being a-holes...(IMO, of course) If they come back and you're there, and I'm there, find me, seriously!!!!! Either that, or I'll come looking for you! :)

J-Dubya

scooterSST said:
I have one... not knowing that there was a Taco Cabana even close by..

ditto.....are you saying there were 24 hour tacos nearby and we didn't know about it? that is now my biggest regret. we must remedy this for next year.

:)

Btw Pellaz. The acknowledgement of the crew, and Glenn's award occured right after Vision Divines set.

synflower said:
ditto.....are you saying there were 24 hour tacos nearby and we didn't know about it? that is now my biggest regret. we must remedy this for next year.

Mandy introduced me to TC in San Antonio Texas, it's bar far the BEST fast food TexMex I've EVER had...

My regret ~ not hitting The Porch one last time on Sunday: I should have 'cause the people I wanted to say good bye too were there... Thanks for the pics Drummr; my Malaka.. hehehe :headbang:

scooterSST said:
Mandy introduced me to TC in San Antonio Texas, it's bar far the BEST fast food TexMex I've EVER had...

sweet! sounds like this will be first on the 'must find' list for next year. we got sick of Madison Grill everynight, but just didn't know where else to go. and there were many a night I could have gone for some good mexican food. mmmm.

I only have three regrets....

1) Not watching all of Leatherwolf's set. Wade was "playing it safe" and not hitting high notes at the start. I heard after I left, he warmed up. He later told me that he had a sinus infection.

2) Not seeing all of Freak Kitchen's set. What I watched was great. Super entertaining band !!

3) Partying too hard on Thursday night. It made me feel a little blah on Fri and Sat.

Bryant

Bryant

sccaldwell said:
As someone else pointed out in another thread, response to Zero Hour's performance was almost completely polarized....you either loved 'em or you hated 'em...very little in-between. I think another way to put it: you "got" it (and therefore were blown away) or you didn't "get" it (and therefore didn't like it). I'm not criticizing you...just telling you that their music is far too complex to "get" it with one or two listens...especially if that first listen was live.

Yeah, that was me... and it certainly stands true. Ironically, I'm one of the *few* that fall in the middle ground here, meaning, I'm a big ZH fan, have all their CD's (even the much maligned and highly under-rated AFM - damn I sound like the PR rep for AFM) and they were probably the band I most wanted to see, and was disappointed for reasons mostly concerning vocals, et al... see my posts on this elsewhere, specifically the ZH forum.

Anyhow, if you've noticed, and you have, there really hasn't been much of a middleground, which actually is an impressive feat on this board, lol. Honestly, though, they're a great band who are probably the most accessible and down to earth cats. And their music should probably be attempted on CD first, before a live gig, if possible. Once you "get that" then you might appreciate the live gig(s) more.

scooterSST said:
I have one... not knowing that there was a Taco Cabana even close by..

OH, man, I would have died without Taco Cabana every night!!!!!!! We had our cab stop there every night on our way home and we'd load up on tacos, then have a challenge when we got home to see who could eat the most tacos!!!!!!!! :lol: We still have salsa left in the frig.... think I'll keep it there till next year as a momentum....:loco:

momentum???? must have been drinking again...... momento

oh, yeah.... I got off the subject of the thread..... No regrets here!!!!!! After 6 years of being drunk off my ass and making a fool of myself, that's normal, so it's to be expected. Can't regret the inevitable!!!!!!!!

synflower said:

I posted directions to it wayyy earlier in the "Food near PPUSA" thread. I'm kinda afraid to post them now, since so many restaurants in the area are closing. But....

-------- cut here -------------- cut here -------------------

1. From Center Stage Atlanta, go north on W. Peachtree St. You don't really have a choice anyway and if you go south, we'll all watch and chuckle as you crash headlong into the one-way oncoming traffic. :heh:

2. Stay to the left at the top of the hill. There's a traffic light at Peachtree St., but you'll be sliding past it to the left. The Pershing Point statue/monument will be to your right as you go by.

3. This becomes a loooong entrance ramp. Stay on it.

4. After a while a ramp joins you on the right. Get over into the right lane after this, marked as "Monroe Dr./Armour Drive" (or something like that) SLOW THE FUCK DOWN.

5. After the quick curve, get in the left-turning lane and stop at the light. (Probably.) Fire station is directly in front of you.

6. Turn left. You'll see a 24-hour bowling alley on your right and, at the moment, the abruptly-closed City Cafe Diner on the left. Go past both and whisper a prayer for the dearly departed; it was the best of the City Cafes. :cry:

7. Keep going, you'll see a light ahead of you. Taco Cabana will be directly in front of you. Turn right on Piedmont and make an immediate left into Taco Cabana.

------ cut here -------------- cut here -----------------

Total time from the venue at night: approx. 4 minutes.

We ate there late on Saturday night. I'm kinda sorry I didn't go hit the Grenada parties instead, but the late-night tacos did rule. :)