The one song that represents Black Metal most for you

It's not that bad in my opinion, but it definitely pales in comparison to the original. I was lucky enough to find an original ITNE about 10 years ago before they reissued it, and the reissue loses a lot of clarity and crispness. I think they were trying to beef up the sound, but all they did was make it muddy.
Damn, now I want to hear the original.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

This is easily the most expansive, enormous song in black metal's history. I've been listening to that song, and that album, for eight years, and it still gives me chills to this day.

I find it amazing at the amount of people who praise this song over the third track, or even the second track off that album.

The third track is the best on that album, and probably the best Burzum track period.

The first song is too rock and roll in the middle, especially with the drumming. Vikernes could have cut at least two minutes from the middle. The ending is also strange. It seems out of place to end it with another lame rock beat. Had the track ended with that last verse, it would have been nice.

It's not a horrible song, don't get me wrong. But when compared to the epic conclusion of the third, it doesn't seem so great.

I agree with those who say Transilvanian Hunger. But I don't agree with that song, only the album.

The first song that came to mind when I read the thread title was, "As Flittermice as Satan's Spys".

I think the song, "Transilvanian Hunger" lacks the hatred and darkness of the aforementioned song.

A special mention I would like to add is, "Von" off Satanic Blood. This song adds a great melancholy to the dark simplicity of the main riff.

I find it amazing at the amount of people who praise this song over the third track, or even the second track off that album.

The third track is the best on that album, and probably the best Burzum track period.

The first song is too rock and roll in the middle, especially with the drumming. Vikernes could have cut at least two minutes from the middle. The ending is also strange. It seems out of place to end it with another lame rock beat. Had the track ended with that last verse, it would have been nice.

It's not a horrible song, don't get me wrong. But when compared to the epic conclusion of the third, it doesn't seem so great.

If you had been paying attention, you would know that "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" is, in fact, the second track off the album, not the first, which is actually titled "Det Som Engang Var."

If you had been paying attention, you would know that "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" is, in fact, the second track off the album, not the first, which is actually titled "Det Som Engang Var."

Oh, you are right. Sorry about that.

Having said all that, I would still take the third track off that album over the second.

If I didn't, why I don't see it mentioned anywhere? oh yeah, nobody has their own taste these days, we must follow the "black metal classic 101" sheet :p
Oh man, you schooled us some more. We're all black metal n00bs and you just pwned us.

The remaster may sound shitty, but the original album sound is more or less perfect.

I think you have some brain malfunction, I said "IMO" which means it's my personal taste, I never tried to school you, what's wrong with you?

"nobody has their own taste these days, we must follow the "black metal classic 101" sheet"
Sound familiar?

Yeah because you insulted me because I prefer the EP sound to the full-lenght.

Like it can't be possible! if I dislike the ITNE version, I'm untrue? :p

Yeah because you insulted me because I prefer the EP sound to the full-lenght.

Like it can't be possible! if I dislike the ITNE version, I'm untrue? :p

I guess I overreacted a little, but you came off as kind of condescending.

I find track 2 to be weaker than track 3. The title track is great, but it's all one riff with almost no variation except the drumming, which is either blasting or a bass-rolling beat.

there's loads of perfect, perfect, BEAUTIFUL variation thankyou very much. it's all one riff in the way that burzum songs are generally variations on a riff, sure. anyway that bit around 2:25 onward shouldn't work half as well as it does, gives me a total rush every time it kicks in. then it climaxes and gives me another rush. then it changes into something even more climactic and gives me another rush. then it changes again, etc. not getting this whole one riff thing.

there's so much going on throughout this album though, so many implied notes, i'm always hearing melodies on it that i don't think are even there. the moods are so layered, it's not describable at all, i can't think of any other metal album which achieves that to the same extent.

I hear all those hidden melodies and changes that you describe, but they are buried too far into the music. Don't get me wrong, I love the song along with the rest of the album, but when I compare it to the other two metal tracks, it falls short.