The one song that represents Black Metal most for you

Both great albums. I don't see though how someone can like In the Nightside Eclipse and completely hate Anthems. It's such a natural progression between the albums, I think. Unless someone just dislikes Emperor... which is bollocks, in my opinion. :cool:

I think the production throws a few people off, especially those accustomed to the thinner, more atmospheric productions.

I prefer ITNE. I think the reason is that ITNE is more symphonic.

Wrong. Anthems counts as more symphonic because it uses brass and string synths, more like a symphony, while ITNE is mainly choirs.

It laid the foundation for future "experimental" black metal bands like Deathspell Omega, and if you can't hear the influence of Anthems in brilliant records like Fas - Ite..., then you're deaf.

I think FAS is clearly influenced by S.v.e.s.t. , except a bit more commercial sounding.

And to those ITNE fanboys, I Am the Black Wizard on the Emperor EP sounds so much better than the full-lenght version, they screwed that song imo.

Classic Emperor has been annoying me as of late. Into the Infinity of Thoughts, I Am the Black Wizards and The Majesty of the Nightsky are pretty panoramic, though.
I own the reissue of ITNE which is really poorly mixed, compared to the original, so I heard.

I'd say 1349 is solid and has some good stuff but is weaker on the black metal scale compared to the bands that were formed like 5 years before them. As for Mayhem I don't see all the hate their not amazing but a lot of their new shit is pretty sick I thought that chimera album is great.

I thought Darkthrone Transylvania Hunger when I saw this topic and I think that wins over Emperor I'd say Darkthrone follow the classic black metal style more. Also I never got the huge appeal to Emperor though the instrumentals are cool they lack the violent feel and stage presence of bands like Marduk, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone and Dark Funeral. I still like the band emperor just I feel black metal has other better bands to offer.

I own the reissue of ITNE which is really poorly mixed, compared to the original, so I heard.

It's not that bad in my opinion, but it definitely pales in comparison to the original. I was lucky enough to find an original ITNE about 10 years ago before they reissued it, and the reissue loses a lot of clarity and crispness. I think they were trying to beef up the sound, but all they did was make it muddy.