the only reason why katatonia won't ever be chart breakers...

I love Katatonia, I only wish the best for them. But I REALLY dont want them to become big in the U.S. As soon as that happens its going to be a nightmare. Take Opeth for example. I usually go to their shows and nice to be there. Not too packed, room to stand around and watch the show. Well not anymore. And there are way too many kids there now. It really sucks. Sorry for sounding so selfish but i cant help it.

how many of us listen to the radio.....or watch MTV.....it would not have any effect on me whatsoever......and i will be in the front row of every Katatonia show I ever go to regardless of how many paople are there or how much it costs.......so maybe it would effect ticket prices.....big deal.....small price to pay to support my favorite band........

No offence to anybody posting on this thread, but I think that all of the people who don't want Katatonia to attain commercial success are, quite simply, being hugely self centred. Katatonia are one of my favourite bands, and I know that they work hard. I also know that, as a band of small stature comercially, it's fucking hard for them to make any money at all. The quality of their output, to me, suggests that they all deserve to be very rich men indeed, and to deny them that simply because you don't want everybady else to like them is plain disrespectful to the effort they have made to bring you outstanding, provocative music over the years. Don't you think they deserve their chance to shine?
And another thing: why is it that everybody has such a big problem with 'kids' attending the concerts they themselves attend? Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has the exact same entitlement to enjoy music. if kids are going to an Opeth gig, it doesn't mean that Opeth have sold out, or that they have 'gone too pop'. It just means that there are some kids out there who, mercifully, have some concept of what decent music is. if kids start attending Katatonia gigs instead of Linkin Park gigs, them maybe bands will model themselves more on the creative, genuine work ethic of Katatonia. if kids revoke nu-metal, nu metal will die. Would that not appeal to you?
How can you be against the wider spread of the music you claim to love?!?!?! It doesn't make any sense to me, and strikes me as infantile. Grrrrr! :hotjump:

Liquid Diamonds said:
I think that all of the people who don't want Katatonia to attain commercial success are, quite simply, being hugely self centred.

Of course. I can't help prefering club gigs with 100 people and modest ticket prices over giant arenas with 5000 people and tickets that cost a fortune.

And another thing: why is it that everybody has such a big problem with 'kids' attending the concerts they themselves attend?

Seems to me like the traditional "Old Fans VS. New Fans"- thing.

Liquid Diamonds said:
No offence to anybody posting on this thread, but I think that all of the people who don't want Katatonia to attain commercial success are, quite simply, being hugely self centred. Katatonia are one of my favourite bands, and I know that they work hard. I also know that, as a band of small stature comercially, it's fucking hard for them to make any money at all. The quality of their output, to me, suggests that they all deserve to be very rich men indeed, and to deny them that simply because you don't want everybady else to like them is plain disrespectful to the effort they have made to bring you outstanding, provocative music over the years. Don't you think they deserve their chance to shine?
And another thing: why is it that everybody has such a big problem with 'kids' attending the concerts they themselves attend? Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has the exact same entitlement to enjoy music. if kids are going to an Opeth gig, it doesn't mean that Opeth have sold out, or that they have 'gone too pop'. It just means that there are some kids out there who, mercifully, have some concept of what decent music is. if kids start attending Katatonia gigs instead of Linkin Park gigs, them maybe bands will model themselves more on the creative, genuine work ethic of Katatonia. if kids revoke nu-metal, nu metal will die. Would that not appeal to you?
How can you be against the wider spread of the music you claim to love?!?!?! It doesn't make any sense to me, and strikes me as infantile. Grrrrr! :hotjump:

agreed

the_joy_of_grief said:
Of course. I can't help prefering club gigs with 100 people and modest ticket prices over giant arenas with 5000 people and tickets that cost a fortune.

Exactly. As long as a band continues making good music I'll buy their stuff, but I'm unlikely to show up in your latter scenario. That's all there is to it for me.

I wonder what kata members would like to be...maybe they wouldn´t like to be very big stars, too much success is not always a synonimous of happiness!No peace in your private life, paparrazzi, body guards and stuff like that, no that wouldn´t even fit with the concept "katatonia"...

Then think if they had to be constantly on the road, travelling for many months from America to Asia, Australia etc. that wouldn´t be so good for their families, especially now that the children are so little and need the presence of both parents more than ever!
It´s better if they make an official tour of maybe two months and then small tours like a week or w-ends here and there, some festivals so that they can play and their fans can see them and at the same time it´s not so bad for their family life!

Ok for the kids, if they are nice kids who can really appreciate their music, why not?Kids or parents, everyone who can appreciate good quality music should have access to it, so I´d be happy if I could watch their video on a music channel or listen to them regularly on a rock radio, but not that the music should be abused and turned into a commercial instrument etc.then it could lose its value.

I´m really skeptical about this questions of success...and egoistically speaking I like how they are now (but I whish them more recognition and higher incomes so that they can spare money, buy villa, volvo..ensure themselves a comfortable future) because I like small clubs, I like their attitude of modest normal and nice people...and I think that the first albums of bands that were unknown are better than their last albums when they have reached a really big success. Take Metallica and hundreds of other bands...for example...I think it´s difficult to be genuine and do as you like when you are manipulated by managers, big labels etc...that can be dangerous and can ruin the creativity of a band..

I personally wish people would pay more attention to Katatonia, and am honestly quite amazed that they haven't been discovered and spread like wildfire yet. I mean, look at Opeth (and by the way I completely disagree with anybody who says that Opeth have changed due to their success - they still write incredible songs, and get better with every album, which is what counts at the end of the day, not whether they have a lot of promotion or not)... Opeth are heavier than Katatonia, and have still managed to obtain more commercial success - while Katatonia are much more mellow than Opeth overall. I'd say the only thing which keeps Katatonia back is definitely something which makes them unique - the.. how do i put it.. overall 'feel' to all of their songs.. the darkness in each of them - some people label that as "depressive" and shun it because too many are afraid to face the darkness - I hope I'm not sounding too bombastic, but it is the truth at the end of the day.
I still hope that one day Katatonia will make it into the charts - they definitely deserve it - however I agree that their label's distribution is horrible; which definitely keeps them miles back. In the meantime; we have our own job... spread the word about the "Katatonia with a K" band ;)

Liquid Diamonds said:

I agree with what you said about bands getting big...but I don't think it works out that way if kids start going to Katatonia shows instead of Linkin Park. They won't model their new bands off of the creative and genuine work ethic...this is how it really happens: a bunch of copycat bands start ripping off Katatonia's overall aesthetic WITHOUT any of the creativity or integrity that makes Katatonia rule...then that whole sound will become a trend saturated with bands and devoid of creativity or talent. Then I won't even be able to listen to Katatonia anymore because the sound will remind me of that trend, even though it rightfully belongs to them.

Exhibit A: metalcore. The bands that originated this genre were pretty good, now it has been exploited and turned into a trend, to the point where as soon as I hear a breakdown I want to scream and run in the other direction.

Worst case scenario, I know, but something you have to consider when bands get big. I want Katatonia to get big...but hopefully not through the MTV/ trend route.

I was going to say this but someone beat me to it...but I think a Porcupine Tree/ Katatonia tour would be FANTASTIC. Haha not just because those are two of my favorite bands or anything...:headbang:

But seriously, both are incredibly talented and creative and UNIQUE artists who have serious potential for larger appeal, both are too genuine too let themselves be exploited in order to get big and prefer to do it the hard way, both at this point in their career are basically slightly progressive rock bands with an obvious but not dominant influence from heavy metal.

Oh yeah...and both have a strong connection with Opeth, but both totally kick Opeth's (sometimes too pretentious) ass.

Anyway, I'm new here so hello to all. If anyone goes to the SMNnews boards, I am there all the time under a different name.

I want Katatonia to be big because they fucking deserve it. If you think commercial success diminishes the validity and the sincerity of the music, then whatever.

VE would still be the fantastic album that it is whether it sold 5,000 copies or 5,000,000. If you won't listen to them if they break through, maybe you're listening to them for the wrong reasons.

As long as the quality of the material stays consistent (and it has), I'm rooting for 'em.

I wonder how much VE DID sell, overall? 100, 000 would even seem too low for them, but if it did sell like 5-10,000 then that's just soooo damn unfortunate. They're creating such amazing music, but for what? Hardly anyone will ever hear them.

I agree with many of the statements here.
If Katatonia are to break big, they would need to get on a decent tour.

It is a damn shame that promoters would choose a lame major label band with one single to open for a band like Opeth or Lacuna Coil, as opposed to selecting a band whose sound more closely matches the headliner.

Maybe Opeth will bring Katatonia out? I know they are touring early 06 in the states again

I wouldn't worry about it too much...PT has been going for way longer and are just starting to get some recognition, and all their albums have been fantastic! Katatonia is not THAT obscure compared to a lot of metal bands that work their ass off just as hard and make just as good (if less accessible) music. Honestly, the only Katatonia album that I would consider extremely accessibly and a potential break through album is VE. LFDGD, while probably my favorite, is a bit too rough around the edges production wise and not too polished as far as song writing. (these qualities make it a more passionate and emotional and powerful album for me, but don't serve it well in exposing the band to a larger audience). VE really has that polished sound and professional songwriting that would allow it to break into the charts.

So, if you look at it that way, The Great Cold Distance will only be their second album with such an accessible yet genuine and creative sound...and I see the band getting more exposure with this release no matter what. Also, as much as some of you miss the old logo, I think a simpler approach is better for the band's popularity because no one will be scared off by that spiky logo that non-metal fans aren't accustomed to.

Now, if they could even land a US tour at all I think their popularity would definitely increase. I haven't following the band for as long as some of you, but they haven't toured here that I've been aware of. Yeah, a tour with some major label band would be ideal...but any tour would help.

you guys talking about a U.S. tour should fucking put your money where your mouth is......I am telling you that if enough emails are shot that there is an actual possibility of Katatonia and Dailight dies doing a tour in the U.S.......so quit talking and fucking do something about it!!!!

Here is the thread about it with the email addresses and everything for you!

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217731

Everyone I play Katatonia for gets into them... even people that don't like metal. You just can't deny how good they are no matter what your tastes are.

-Vince

N.P. Men Without Hats - Messiahs Die Young

Well, I only joined this forum two days ago so I didn't know about that...but thanks for calling it to my attention. Both my emails are sent. :headbang: