The Power metal thread

I like power metal alot. My favorite bands are Helloween, Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Metal Church, and Iced Earth. I don't care what anyone thinks, I actually tend to like the "flower metal" bands more than bands who sing about dungeons and dragons and other fairytale shit like Blind Guardian, even though Blind Guardian are also pretty decent.

I just listened to Circus Maximus for first time yesterday and was really impressed with what I heard.

what album? isolate was pretty good.

you should check out the interview i did with them on the main page
~gR~

I've been rediscovering and playing Helloween's Time of the Oath nonstop lately. What a rad album, too bad the other ones with Deris aren't very good...

Except Better Than Raw, which has its moments.

I actually gave the first Keepers a spin the other night while going to sleep (though I think I only made it through the first 3 tracks before I dozed off), and it was much better than I recall.

I just listened to Circus Maximus for first time yesterday and was really impressed with what I heard.

I post over at the John Petrucci board & there is a ton of talk about them over there. I really need to check them out, I just think the name is ridiculos, but if they make good music I will get over it soon. They're the next Power/Prog band on my list to check out.

I love Symphony X & Yngwie. I've always looked at Yngwie sort of as one of the father's of Power Metal, along with Iron Maiden.

Firewind's first album was very very good, after that they got relentless, but had some good tracks.

Evergrey is basically 1/2 Power & "In the Search of Truth" is a decent album to at least check out to see if you like it. I think it's a good album, but not great. A ton of people love it.

Another PM band I had a brief phase with was Kamelot, but now I can't really listen to them & I wouldn't recommend anything by them personally.

I have "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" & the new one by Blind Guardian... Meh... I just can't get into them. They're a little too jolly for my tastes. "Nightfall" is a great album for what it is though.

Nightwish could be perhaps classified as Power Metal, although I personally have a tough time calling them that. "Oceanborn" is an amazing album that I think everyone should offer a chance to.

Everything prior to Nightfall in Middle-Earth is harder edged. I recommend you listen to Tales From The Twilight World and Somewhere Far Beyond.

Everything prior to Nightfall in Middle-Earth is harder edged. I recommend you listen to Tales From The Twilight World and Somewhere Far Beyond.

I was interested in getting "Somewhere Far Beyond" I believe it was. If I go through another Power Metal phase it will be one of the first albums I'm likely to pick up.

With Circus Maximus their name just kind of pisses me off. Their name almost implies they're some sort of musical freakshow. The real reason I don't like their name is mainly because it uses the word "Circus". The word "Circus" just sounds too cheesey to even be in a Power Metal band name, I think...

With Circus Maximus their name just kind of pisses me off. Their name almost implies they're some sort of musical freakshow. The real reason I don't like their name is mainly because it uses the word "Circus". The word "Circus" just sounds too cheesey to even be in a Power Metal band name, I think...

um no

I am allowed to have my own opinions right? Thanks.

It might be Greek for something else, but that's not what I hear when I hear the band name. I don't speak Greek. "Greatest Theatre" sounds like they're a step up from "Dream Theater" just by their band name. I don't like it either. I like some cheesey music, I just don't like the band name as it sonds cheesey & too upfront. The guys might not make cheesey music, I said I really wanted to hear them.

:danceboy:

Older Fates Warning, Helloween(pre Kiske leaving), newer band Cellador(sounds alot like early helloween-image is chesse though)

Naw, I'm just being honest. We all have band names that we dislike... Or am I the only one...?

Fates Warning is a band I really want to check out as I've heard a lot about them, I just never really looked into them. I've heard a bit from Helloween & I wasn't particulary liking of it, but maybe I just need to listen to it some more & let it grow.

I have Fates Warning's Awaken The Guardian on tape...got an original for 60 cents at Goodwill in Maine heh. It's good.

There's a difference between disliking a name for what it is and disliking a name for stupid reasons and blatantly misunderstanding what it actually means. I bet some people don't like the name Judas Priest not realizing just how fucking awesome it actually is when you work it out.