The Power metal thread

Some good bands mentioned already, including some of my favorites like Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus (which is more prog metal than power but contains elements) and Communic.

Others not mentioned yet include my favorite power metal band Silent Force. DC Cooper is the singer and guitarist Alex Beyrodt is severely underrated IMHO. There is also Persuader, Dark Horizon, Helion (unsigned Finnish band), MAnticora, and old Brainstorm.

Blind Guardian,although i wouldn´t call their 4 latest album power metal by the standards most people define it.

blind guardian pretty much sets the defintion of power metal these days. if anything, its their earlier stuff that isnt power. closer to speed metal. in any case, blind guardian are one of the most important power metal bands ever.
~gR~

blind guardian pretty much sets the defintion of power metal these days. if anything, its their earlier stuff that isnt power. closer to speed metal. in any case, blind guardian are one of the most important power metal bands ever.
~gR~

You think so? But i think power metal is a bad term for them because i think of bands like Freedom Call and stuff like that when i hear that term. Maybe progressive power metal is a better term.
But yeah they have always been groundbreaking.

Nightfall in Middle-Earth is textbook Power Metal (in the modern reckoning of the term), and the point at which Blind Guardian left all traces of their Speed Metal origins behind (for the worse it seems, as reflected in A Night At The Opera and A Twist In The Myth).

To me Imaginations all the way to A twist in the myth is somewhat the same style. Not saying that the quality of ATITM reaches Imaginations hights though.
I think Somewhere far beyond was their last real speed album,but i agree that certain speed elements also was kept on the following records.

i rather liked a twist in the myth and a night at the opera. but ive always been more attracted to the over the top fantasy-esque power metal

nightfall in middle earth is by far their best though
~gR~

i rather liked a twist in the myth and a night at the opera.
~gR~

I also think a night at the opera was a great record.I never did get why so many people disliked it so much. Maybe it´s because of the production,which i liked at first but now i think it´s a tad overproduced.
I havent bought a twist in the myth yet for some reason but i´ve heard 4-5 songs and it seems like a great record.

I'm really into folk/pagan/viking metal at the moment.

Already mentioned them in about 3 other threads today but i think that Kiuas are great as they are both power and folk/viking metal. (going to see them next year.) Be sure to check out their album 'The Spirit Of Ukkos' which is one of my favorite albums at the moment.

Ensiferum are a brilliant folk metal band worth checking out. To start with i'd go for their first album which is self titled. Definitely my favorite band at the moment. Back on the subject of power metal...I saw iced earth at the UK Heaven and Hell gig at Wembley and i wasn't too impressed to be honest. I kinda felt for them though 'cos they kept trying to get mosh's going but no-one was quite hyped up enough as they were the first band on.

Mathiäs;6750138 said:
Pagan's Mind rules.

While their latest didn't blow me away like I was hoping, it was still a solid album.

However, " Enigmatic: Calling" and "Celestial Entrance" are prog/power at its absolute finest.

Edit: Misspelled "their", I am a fucking dunce.

Mathiäs;6750211 said:
Yes, I have it. I wasn't really too impressed on first listen though.

Me neither. I downloaded it, listened to it, put it away. Then about two months later I chucked it in the CD player in the car for shits and giggles and . . . HOLY SHIT!!! Blew my mind.

Give it a couple more goes. It's worth the time.

\m/ Hammer

Nightfall in Middle Earth is the only BG album I have. I really need to remedy that.

Just stay away from the newest one. It's the only other one I have & it sucks.

Persuader is a band I forgot to mention. They're a great Power Metal band. Their first album "The Hunter" is a great listen & it has some great playing throughout. I really need their 2nd album... I have their last album & it wasn't very good. It's probably skippable by my standards at least.

Mathiäs;6750211 said:
Yes, I have it. I wasn't really too impressed on first listen though.

Me either, but it def. grew on me.

EDIT: 11 thousandth post...thanks for pointing that out CC.