The School/Uni Thread

Well, "gender roles" is a pretty broad concept. I can see some gender roles as being society-dependent, but stuff like male aggression, female nurturing, etc. is most likely genetic methinks.

Any specifics on what was shown to vary between tribes/societies?
Actually you're wrong. Within one tribe they were all peaceful and both the men and women were by our standards effeminate. In one the gender roles were reversed. In another both genders were highly aggressive. The text even mentioned that when they had sex they would come out all battered and bruised like Klingons.

I added the part about Klingons

UCR wanted me to go to their school but that required moving and shit. the fact that they offered a major in creative writing was nice but not enough (CSULB offers an English major with an option in Creative Writing...loosely the same thing)

Yeah I know what you mean about moving, I could have gone to Berkeley but I'm pretty uncomfortable moving to the middle of butt-fucking nowhere with no cash. To start over so abruptly is a little more than disheartening imo.
UCR (according to the philosophy gourmet report) is no where near the rankings of say Ann Arbor or any of the "old-money" universities, but it'll do (ranked 31st n the nation). I would prefer to go to some uber-school that's ranked between 1-5, but rankings alone don't really mean anything to me without experience... I guess I'll get that soon enough anyway.

Random fact: The dormitories at UCI are named after the locations in middle-earth o_O

Does he like the school? Is s/he an undergraduate, graduate, etc.? I heard the amount of people changes greatly depending on what year and major you are. Most undergraduates can have up to 800 other students at a time in a lecture hall, whereas many people in the graduate program will have up to thirty people at most. I'm not sure which major that was for though, and I've only gotten to talk to three people who went there for less than ten minutes no less).

Actually you're wrong. Within one tribe they were all peaceful and both the men and women were by our standards effeminate. In one the gender roles were reversed. In another both genders were highly aggressive. The text even mentioned that when they had sex they would come out all battered and bruised like Klingons.

I added the part about Klingons

Oh. So, I take it he's arguing that all gender roles are society-dependent.

Well, I guess that could be sufficient evidence for his argument, but it would be nice to know why it seems the vast majority of societies have the stereotypical aggressive-male/nurturing-female setup. I don't think he can just shrug it off on Western society having imposed its customs on the entire world, or something like that.

I've been in the dorms at Berkeley, and they are fucking tiny! It's absolutely ridiculous

this saturday I have another geology field lab...we're goin to the san andreas fault. should be pretty sweet.

Did anyone see that program on TV that showed that schools are basically building 4,000 square foot houses and calling them apartments?

It's fucking ridiculous.

Well, I guess that could be sufficient evidence for his argument, but it would be nice to know why it seems the vast majority of societies have the stereotypical aggressive-male/nurturing-female setup. I don't think he can just shrug it off on Western society having imposed its customs on the entire world, or something like that.
We watched a movie in class talking about men feeling left out of agriculture because hunting didn't need to be done so they formed large states which had to be dominated by the nobility/military. To get the populace along with them they promised that the men would be dominant over women. Before that, things were passed down on the women's side of the family. Intriguing to say the least.

I see... so which society was this, and where did the filmmakers get their information?

Sounds intriguing, sure, but also convoluted as hell.

It's really global society at this point. They focused on Egypt especially because for a while, until they were invaded, they were an exception in that women had a lot of rights. But there really is not country that is not free of "patriarchy" as it was referred to. The most liberal countries in the world, such as Canada, USA, Western Europe, all are disproportionately ruled by males in a hierarchical structure.

Filmmakers just adapted what exists now and in history to fit their idea.

so at school today in US history, we were talking about the early 1990s with the war with spain and the building of the panama canal, and coach adams was all like " we pimped puerto rico, and we pimped panama, we were pimpin' all of latin america. we were takin' thier money, and they werent gettin' anything in return" and it was great. i love history, im getting the highest grade in any of his classes. because im a pimp. :cool: