The School/Uni Thread

My Chemistry teacher was great and the math teacher, she was absolutely superb. Actually ingnited my interest in the subject which was pretty low at the beginning. She stayed with us after school hours until 10 PM several times just to help us through the finals, and I fucking aced that last test with an 89:kickass:

Just because you find something easy doesn't mean it's a universal truth. Different people have different strengths, which are often tied to their interests. You actually enjoy shit like this, I don't. I enjoy literature and philosophy and politics. And I'm good at that. And I find it easy. Do you?

I'd say Literature and Philosophy is hard because there isn't one specific answer to a question. Basic Chemistry like Honors Chemistry is straight forward. You solve a type of problem, then exact same way every time. How is that difficult?

By the way, we've had a discussion about Mathematics and Science before, and we both agreed Mathematics and Sciences are easy compared to Philosophy and Literature.

I'd say Literature and Philosophy is hard because there isn't one specific answer to a question. Basic Chemistry like Honors Chemistry is straight forward. You solve a type of problem, then exact same way every time. How is that difficult?

By the way, we've had a discussion about Mathematics and Science before, and we both agreed Mathematics and Sciences are easy compared to Philosophy and Literature.

This completely depends on the subject matter.

No we didn't, and I feel the exact opposite. Theoretically based disciplines I find to be easier than applied disciplines. Just accept the fact that people are wired differently and geared toward different things for various reasons.

And I never said Chemistry was hard, I said I didn't like it. It's pretty hard to excel in an area in which you have no interest whatsoever to the point where you can't even force yourself to learn. My teacher was horrible, and I learned nothing in that class. He refused to help students. Not to mention I find the whole matter very dry and boring. It's no wonder I only got a B in the class. I'm not saying I couldn't have gotten an A, but my circumstances didn't allow it.

From the posts, I got the feeling that people hated it so much because it was so difficult. I can understand people not liking it and not doing well because they don't like it; however, I do think that the content and concepts are easy because most things are very intuitive.

Yeah, I think that hard sciences are a lot less intuitive than a softer, pseudo-intellectual thing like philosophy. Philosophy to me is just guiding principals for decision making and life, instead of "what would Jesus do" it's "what would Jeremy Benthem or Plato do?" I really don't have much respect for it, there's nothing really difinitive in philosophy, just different perspectives for solving problems by a bunch of dead old men who sat around in togas debating right and wrong.

Yeah, I think that hard sciences are a lot less intuitive than a softer, pseudo-intellectual thing like philosophy. Philosophy to me is just guiding principals for decision making and life, instead of "what would Jesus do" it's "what would Jeremy Benthem or Plato do?" I really don't have much respect for it, there's nothing really difinitive in philosophy, just different perspectives for solving problems by a bunch of dead old men who sat around in togas debating right and wrong.

Your line of reasoning and understanding of philosophy matches their extensive knowledge of Thrash Metal.

I always thought math and science were way more difficult. I'm sure I have the capacity to do well in them, but they hold no interest to me whatsoever. It didn't help that I had a few incompetent science teachers over the years. I never liked that these disciplines were so rigid and had no room for creativity. They're also for dorks.

My courses this quarter are on jazz, ethical problems, and the sociology of the armed forces (taught by the guy who devised "don't ask don't tell"). I only have class two days a week, which is pretty nice. Hard on the liver though.

Your line of reasoning and understanding of philosophy matches their extensive knowledge of Thrash Metal.

Probably - I mean, Jesus, Jeremy and Plato were around waaaay before thrash metal even existed! Or did you mean my knowledge of thrash metal?

But yeah, I freely admit that my knowledge of philosophy is limited, borderline nothing, but that won't prevent me from dubbing it as useless. I know that you've got a passion for philosophy and reading "classic" literature but in all honesty I just view that as intellectual snobbery - akin to how some people on this forum view symbolism in art, if you will.

I freely admit that my knowledge of philosophy is limited, borderline nothing

Then you shouldn't be opening your mouth regarding shit you're clueless about (like Thrash Metal)

but that won't prevent me from dubbing it as useless.

Which is why you're getting called out on it right now.

I know that you've got a passion for philosophy and reading "classic" literature but in all honesty I just view that as intellectual snobbery - akin to how some people on this forum view symbolism in art, if you will.

You are a vapid, surface-level cave dweller. You have no understanding of literature, philosophy, or art in general. Go away. Go play with chemicals in a laboratory because theoretical disciplines are clearly far beyond you. You need to be within the confines of a rigid structure where all of your decisions are made for you because you don't have the mental capability to do it on your own.

Well, "gender roles" is a pretty broad concept. I can see some gender roles as being society-dependent, but stuff like male aggression, female nurturing, etc. is most likely genetic methinks.

Any specifics on what was shown to vary between tribes/societies?