The Shitposting Thread

I cant wait for this fucking school year to end so i can get out of this school and get a job. My plan is to do construction for a few years, buy a trailer, and save up for my CDL so I can do OTR trucking

Dunno how the fuck you’d save up for a trailer. Huge investment. That being said if you really wanted to be a driver some companies will help you get your CDLs if you agree to work for them for at least a certain time. That might help you get on your feet a little better than a construction job, which is going to kick your ass. Shit, do you live anywhere near oilfield work? Working as a rig hand would fill your pockets much quicker than being a lumber carrying bitch.

I cant wait for this fucking school year to end so i can get out of this school and get a job. My plan is to do construction for a few years, buy a trailer, and save up for my CDL so I can do OTR trucking
I suggest you save up some money for your CDL and then drive for other people, which will ultimately help you save up for a trailer. I would've been able to help you out with a bunch of that stuff if you were out here in Cali.

Dunno how the fuck you’d save up for a trailer. Huge investment. That being said if you really wanted to be a driver some companies will help you get your CDLs if you agree to work for them for at least a certain time. That might help you get on your feet a little better than a construction job, which is going to kick your ass. Shit, do you live anywhere near oilfield work? Working as a rig hand would fill your pockets much quicker than being a lumber carrying bitch.

I have a little under 2 thousand bucks right now, construction pays decently though. As for the oil rig thing, i live in VA so i dont think theres any nearby. I've never worked a job before so construction would probably be a better start than rig work, even though that pays a shitload.

The cheapest trailers run for about 2 grand but they are generally falling apart; for a decent lived in trailer it would probably run me 8 thousand at least. Making around 30k a year doing construction I could probably save up that money in less than a year

It pays a lot more. It would be my ultimate goal, id probably get experience doing shorter distance stuff and then go to a company that does long distance

Well there's a major shortage of drivers in the industry, but there's also the risk of automation on the horizon. Maybe 10-20 years down the road, but that's going to likely be hitting you where you would be at peak earnings. Might work out might not. Of course there will still likely be shorter haul/local stuff, but of course that often doesn't pay as well.

Money aside, I advise against OTR for a variety of health reasons. The transport aspect is vital to the economy but the job is a literal killer in terms of health impact. I can speak more to specific aspects of what the job entails as someone who did it for a short period, but those are secondary imo.

Reactions: PrincessHades
I have a little under 2 thousand bucks right now, construction pays decently though. As for the oil rig thing, i live in VA so i dont think theres any nearby. I've never worked a job before so construction would probably be a better start than rig work, even though that pays a shitload.

The cheapest trailers run for about 2 grand but they are generally falling apart; for a decent lived in trailer it would probably run me 8 thousand at least. Making around 30k a year doing construction I could probably save up that money in less than a year

You're close to the oilfields in WV, Ohio, and PA actually. You might be able to find a company willing to pay and help get your cdls for you, that's what my cousin did actually. (and after he got his CDLs he fucked the company over and bounced anyway) Trucking companies are always desperate for water and sand truck drivers. If you were really being serious about it, a year of driving truck in oilfield work would easily be 90k+ a year without having to maintain your own truck, working with a broker, etc. One of the biggest incentives of oilfield work is that customers have DEEP pockets, more so than you'll find in some other businesses, especially brokered loads where you have to haul ass to make any money on loads. I forever get paid overtime just to sit on site and wait.

My company charges $105 p/hr for a tractor/trailer but we charge $95 p/hr for 6 wheel truck with trailer IE hot shot delivery. Another thing to consider.

I dont know, just throwing some stuff out there. I worked for a construction company for a while and fucking hated it. Ended up quitting on site one day. After working in a machine shop for a while I moved to the oilfield and it may not be my favorite thing but its pretty tolerable by comparison and I've blown away my yearly earnings from every other job I've worked.

btw do you know anything about DOT laws, whats the longest you've ever drove in a weeks time? Things to consider, DOT officers will make you their bitch if you arent prepared for an inspection and YOU WILL GET INSPECTED. One in PA got me for $600, would have been 900 if he could add properly, but I had my company to bail me out on that one.

I should quit unshitting the shit thread though.

Reactions: PrincessHades
The transport aspect is vital to the economy but the job is a literal killer in terms of health impact.

100% agree, the two biggest enemies of the long haul truck driver are yourself, and yourself. Mental and physical health take a massive kick in the arse the more time you spend being a steering wheel attendant.

@HadesRagnazrath
i totally agree with @Dak and @Slammed
"long-haul" OTR truck driving is a horrible idea
if you really really want diving to be your job-description
you live in an area with lots of "local" truck driving
the wage is actually really pretty good and you get to go home every night instead of living in a vehicle

You can ignore your own personality for longer than you can ignore your own mentality.

if you really really want diving to be your job-description

Dio-Holy_Diver-Frontal.jpg

Reactions: Dak and CiG