The Tech Question Thread

yeah looks like if you want the best picture with film-like quality plasma is the way to go ... the only drawback for (according to that article) would be the glass/reflective screen. but even that is not a biggie

otherwise really looks like the way to go.

that side angle viewing being bad thing I wrote above looks like its an attribute of LCD not plasma.

considering they are typically a lot cheaper, i wonder why they don't sell more?!?!

Oh for fuck sake...

I just wrote a whole bunch of info about LCD/LED/Plasma and then I looked at the link and realized it's all in there anyways (excellent source in fact), so I'll just say I have a 50" Plasma and it rocks. I still managed to somehow get some strange vertical line burn-in despite my 100hour AVSforum-inspired "proper break in", but that's probably due to passing out one too many times with Discovery channel on (non HD) last year... so don't think you are impervious to it, but it's pretty close to that. It's nearly impossible to tell in my case, so it isn't a big deal.

I'll add that Sony has an upcoming "Crystal LED" technology that is true LED, and will be superiour to all current options. OLED still is a ways off and has some old problems they are trying to overcome (burn-in is one, actually).

if I can get a 50" Plasma for like 500 bucks that would be awesome ... my current 32" LCD that I bought as a pretty early adopter like 5-6 years ago for $1100 has lasted fine so far and still really works fine.
might move it to the bedroom ...

how is this reflective glass screen on the Plasma? notice it much ... I know you are a gamer so you probably would pick up annoyances on screen

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to get one for $500 at this point, they really are ridiculously cheap. Even a 55" probably wouldn't cost too much more.

I pretty much only use my PS3 as a glorified Blu-ray player, but it's actually good to point out Plasma responsiveness is better for gaming.

In terms of reflections - incredibly reflective. Expect to have to control light in the room (blinds during the day, lights off) you are putting it in, or just learn live with it. Keep in mind any source of light coming from behind the TV isn't a problem, it's whatever is in front of it traveling in it's direction. It can be a major distraction on dark scenes, or in general on black bar content where you are able to see yourself/the room. If you're just watching the news or general TV, it shouldn't be something you notice regardless of the conditions.

Glass is partly what makes it look so vivid and exceptional though, so it's a worthwhile tradeoff in my opinion.

In terms of reflections - incredibly reflective.

:erk: ... this could really be an issue.

according to that outline at the link on the other page, LCD with LED is the second best.

I'll have to check out Plasmas more carefully in a brightly lit store with a lot of light on them to see how annoying it can possibly get.

anyone listen to Spotify? damn if those guys don't have everything I throw in the search box ...

^ youre late to the party. i was raving about that shit a few months back. its unbelievable. they dont have some fairly popular shit though i guess due to copyright bs? anyhow, once i quit FB, i cant use it anymore. :tickled: :(

what do you mean you can't use it? my account with them is not tied into FB, never was never will be ...
just some setting you have to adjust ... you were probably logging in with a FB account

what do you mean you can't use it? my account with them is not tied into FB, never was never will be ...
just some setting you have to adjust ... you were probably logging in with a FB account

would that setting be logging into facebook?

:D

who the heck knows ... Ken, don't you have another email account you can use homeslice?
do you want me to set you up with one? :loco:

I will snoop around and see whats going on in the lives of my "friends" before I decide to put the axe on my account once and for all. :lol:

Evidently I suspended it last time. I have to actually erase it from existence.