The Tech Question Thread

hmm, that looks like a Seagate Barracuda according to reviews which are shit drives ... and these internal drives are the same price as their external equivalents.

what's the reason not the get an external one?

they crash all the time and are not intended to be run constantly. I went through 2 external hard drives at work because I used them constantly, I finally figured out why they were crashing.

My laptop died after slightly less than three years of service. Is that an acceptable service life? I have no idea. Sounds like bullshit to me. The battery completely died after less than two years.
Anyway....anyone want to reco me something? My absolute need is to be able to have multiple "windows" of research open at the same time and write papers. I don't give a shit about anything else except lasting maybe more than three years

Dell ... I have only owned and installed Dell machines in work environments for the last ... oh 17 years ... and have never had a catastrophic issue ... and we are talking hundreds of machines.

Fuck Dell, that's what we use at work, and they seem to be complete and utter shit. If price isn't an option, I'd go with a Sony Vaio, I've had one for 7 years, ran in to the ground, but it still keeps on ticking. (Battery doesn't work, internal speakers don't work, kind of buggy, extremely laggy compared to my playbook, but nevertheless keeps on going.) My main laptop is an acer that I snagged for under $400 during Black Friday of last year, works just fine. Though it's no frills, you'd have to pay for Microsoft Works, as it doesn't come ready installed.

I need a good and possibly user-friendly free software to create a nice video from stills to post on jewtube. I’d just like to add some simple fade out effect and a soundtrack. Can someone recommend me something? I guess I could cope with Windows Media Maker but I’m sure there’s something better out there? Erik maybe?

@Jerry: yep. I also had a dell desktop that died after a few years of use. Junk.

I've never had any problems with Dell at work or home. Right now, I use a dell with an intel i-8 with 8 gb of ram. No troubles at all.

Out of stock for shipping. I actually have the 2gb one in my amazon cart for $30. 2gb is all I need, as I'm not going to be using this over my discman. I just need an unobtrusive device for those rare tactical occasions.

I had some time this morning to fool with my computer. It will attempt a boot but doesn't recognize the hard drive. Its as if the hd actually burned up. Is that possible? If so, that means everything on my hd is gone forever, yes?

Uuhh..so I bought a replacement hd and apparently its not a plug and play situation lol
I don't know what to do next....how do you boot a new hd?