The Tech Question Thread

well read soem reviews prior to clicking on covers with boobs ...

you know the other day I looked up Bridget Fonda as i haven't seen her in a movie in like forever ... turns out she quit acting in 2002 ... had no fucking idea.

BODIES REST AND MOTION, which she was in ... is in my top 20 movies ever ... Ellestin, watch that movie if you haven't ... timely for your situation

alright this problem is driving me crazy. one day i turn on this computer and i can get no sound from anything accessed via the internet. having no problem with .mp3s or video files. i've tried everything, fucking with the volume controls, doing this:

Copy this text into notepad (starting with Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00) and save it to your desktop using the name "missing.reg":

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midimapper"="midimap.dll"
"msacm.imaadpcm"="imaadp32.acm"
"msacm.msadpcm"="msadp32.acm"
"msacm.msg711"="msg711.acm"
"msacm.msgsm610"="msgsm32.acm"
"msacm.trspch"="tssoft32.acm"
"vidc.cvid"="iccvid.dll"
"VIDC.I420"="i420vfw.dll"
"vidc.iv31"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv41"="ir41_32.ax"
"VIDC.IYUV"="iyuv_32.dll"
"vidc.mrle"="msrle32.dll"
"vidc.msvc"="msvidc32.dll"
"VIDC.YVYU"="msyuv.dll"
"wavemapper"="msacm32.drv"
"msacm.msg723"="msg723.acm"
"vidc.M263"="msh263.drv"
"vidc.M261"="msh261.drv"
"msacm.msaudio1"="msaud32.acm"
"msacm.sl_anet"="sl_anet.acm"
"msacm.iac2"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\iac25_32.ax"
"vidc.iv50"="ir50_32.dll"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.WMV3"="wmv9vcm.dll"
"VIDC.VP40"="vp4vfw.dll"
"msacm.voxacm160"="vct3216.acm"
"MSVideo"="vfwwdm32.dll"
"MSVideo8"="VfWWDM32.dll"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"vidc.VP70"="vp7vfw.dll"
"vidc.X264"="x264vfw.dll"
"VIDC.FPS1"="frapsvid.dll"
"vidc.VP60"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP61"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP62"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.DIVX"="DivX.dll"
"VIDC.UYVY"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YUY2"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YVU9"="tsbyuv.dll"
"VIDC.DRAW"="DVIDEO.DLL"
"VIDC.YV12"="yv12vfw.dll"
"wave2"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi2"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer2"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux1"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave3"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi3"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer3"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux2"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.MSUD"="msulvc05.dll"
"wave4"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi4"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer4"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux3"="wdmaud.drv"

After saving the file, go to START > RUN > and type 'regedit' and then click OK
In the registry, select FILE > IMPORT and select the "missing.reg" file from your desktop
You should get a confirmation that it was imported successfully.

did not work. i also tried to reinstall javascript, etc. no luck. what the fuck is going on with this thing

yeah, eventually solid state drives (ssd) will completely replace mechanical hard disks, but since solid state storage is still pretty expensive per gigabyte, what most people (including me) do nowadays is buy a smallish ssd (mine is 120 gb) for operating system(s) and commonly used programs, but put their large data files (music, videos etc) on a larger, mechanical hd. if you are not a digital pack rat then 120 gb will probably be plenty and you won't even need a secondary hd.

ssds are FAST AS FUCK compared to old ass spinny drives. it's a very, very noticable difference. windows 7 boots in 5-10 seconds, most programs pop up in less than a second and so forth (photoshop cs6 now starts in pretty exactly 1 second on my computer, which isn't even very fancy)

so i fully recommend getting an ssd but check out the internet before buying. anything by the company OCZ is shitgarbage, do not buy their crap under any circumstances. they use bargain bin memory cells with worse quality than other manufacturers so some of their drives have 20-40% failure rates. there are other dogs too, so make sure you know what you buy

ok

do they allow you to keep a shitton of windows open as well?

my only experience with them so far is on the IPad ... and that shit can have 30 programs open at once

no, that's not how it works

to run lots of stuff at the same time you need more ram. more likely though you need to learn how to use computers properly because if you think you need to run 30 apps at a time, you don't

also, the ipad basically runs ONE application at a time. all the background stuff is suspended, so it's not as impressive as you think

They are sized as 2.5" drives. Same size as the traditional "laptop" mechanical drives. Same way to connect them. They just happen to use far less power as well.