The Tech Question Thread

100% increase, according to my calculations. :loco:

I had 1GB for years until I upgraded to OS X Ocelot, whereupon shit slowed down, so I went to 3GB and things are now great once again.

How big of a difference should one expect from an upgrade from 4gb to 8gb of RAM?

It used to be that unless you had a 64bit OS you couldn't notice a difference, but not so sure these days. Won't really matter unless you're playing video games or rendering or using complicated software regardless

It used to be that unless you had a 64bit OS you couldn't notice a difference, but not so sure these days. Won't really matter unless you're playing video games or rendering or using complicated software regardless

This is the explanation I was looking for. Thanks.

I have Windows 7 - 64-Bit. I don't play video games or use any complicated programs so...thanks for saving me money.

My laptop went to shit yesterday (won't boot up beyond "starting windows"), so Im going to build my own rig.

Looking at...
CPU - intel5 4670k Quad Core
MoBo - Biostar hi-fi z87x
RAM - Either Corsair or Crucial 4GBX2 Low Profile
Samsung 120GB SSD (Going to pull sheet out of my laptop and wipe it clean)
PSU - ANtec vp450
Still deciding on case, but prob nzxt source 210
No additional gpu, I can count the games I play on one hand, and consoles suffice for this.

Feel free to advise. I basically want something under 7hundo that I can have for the next 5-7 years that can easily be upgraded as desired.

Thus far Ive purchased,

4gb x 2 1866 mhz DDR3 GSkillz Snipers
ASUS Z87 Pro Mobo
Seasonic G Spot 550 PSU
Corsair 300R Chassis

I truly dont need any of this shit. Next purchase is going to be a cpu heatsink, which will either be a CM 212 EVO or a Noctua NH-14 (overkill).

Can you just get one from Microsoft customer service or something? You paid for the product right? It came with your computer?

Yeah, seriously. Use OpenOffice or LibreOffice if you can't get your hands on a key.

Thus far Ive purchased,

4gb x 2 1866 mhz DDR3 GSkillz Snipers
ASUS Z87 Pro Mobo
Seasonic G Spot 550 PSU
Corsair 300R Chassis

I truly dont need any of this shit. Next purchase is going to be a cpu heatsink, which will either be a CM 212 EVO or a Noctua NH-14 (overkill).

Don't buy the NH-D14 unless you are overclocking that CPU or getting it cheaply. It'll perform the same as the 212 EVO on stock clocks. Otherwise, it's fantastic, owned it for a few years and got rid of it only because it won't fit in the smaller cases I am now using. The CM 212 EVO feels cheap and the mounting system is kind of annoying after you've used the Noctua's, but at ~$20 nothing really compares.

Don't buy the NH-D14 unless you are overclocking that CPU or getting it cheaply. It'll perform the same as the 212 EVO on stock clocks. Otherwise, it's fantastic, owned it for a few years and got rid of it only because it won't fit in the smaller cases I am now using. The CM 212 EVO feels cheap and the mounting system is kind of annoying after you've used the Noctua's, but at ~$20 nothing really compares.

Aye. I'm going to do some moderate overclocking. Say from 3.4ghz (stock) to around 4.0 ghz. I dont want to get too nerdy with this, especially taking in to account that I'm not even going to game with this setup. Just want to do a wee bit, out of boredom. (Researching this stuff from work makes my shitty shift fly.)