The Tech Question Thread

Upgrade to 8.1 and set it to boot into desktop mode. 8 is actually a fantastic OS with a lot of "under the hood" optimizations that were largely overshadowed by having that god awful metro UI. You can pretty much virtually eliminate it in 8.1 though.

I'm considering buying some computer bits on Cyber Monday and building a Windows box. It's been so long since I've bothered with such a thing that I don't even know if that is the preferred Cool Guy phrase to use these days.

I used to buy components via http://www.pricewatch.com/ and am wondering if that is still a good idea? Or if there is a better place to start this entire shindig? Feel free to make up any answers, odds are I won't even bother doing this.

I have no idea how accurate sites like pricewatch are, but I use a similar type of site for research in Canada (shopbot). It doesn't catch all stores.

From what I've seen on tech forums, Americans tend to buy from Newegg, Amazon, or if they have a Microcenter near, they will get the CPU from there since they typically sell them as loss-leaders to get people into the store.

Sometimes Fry's too.

Cool, thanks n' stuff.

I used to shop at Fry's way back when. But, I haven't done anything like this in a decade.

Looks like there is a fabled Microcenter about an hour drive away. Maybe I'll head out there some day?

Most people seem to indicate it's worth the trip, they have well priced CPU/Motherboard combos too. If you do buy a motherboard when there though, make sure you check the motherboard to make sure there aren't bent pins before you leave the store... that's assuming you buy Intel. (AMD pins are on the CPU).

My laptop went to shit yesterday (won't boot up beyond "starting windows"), so Im going to build my own rig.

Looking at...
CPU - intel5 4670k Quad Core
MoBo - Biostar hi-fi z87x
RAM - Either Corsair or Crucial 4GBX2 Low Profile
Samsung 120GB SSD (Going to pull sheet out of my laptop and wipe it clean)
PSU - ANtec vp450
Still deciding on case, but prob nzxt source 210
No additional gpu, I can count the games I play on one hand, and consoles suffice for this.

Feel free to advise. I basically want something under 7hundo that I can have for the next 5-7 years that can easily be upgraded as desired.

do not buy biostar motherboards. buy asus, msi or gigabyte

4 gb is not enough ram get at least 8 (in 2 x 4gb sticks as that is faster than 1 x 8gb) EDIT: oh maybe that is what you meant

ssds are great but you will run out of space real quick with 120gb. get a mechanical 1 tb slow ass drive for media storage and only keep os and apps on the ssd

4 gb is not enough ram get at least 8 (in 2 x 4gb sticks as that is faster than 1 x 8gb) EDIT: oh maybe that is what you meant

ssds are great but you will run out of space real quick with 120gb. get a mechanical 1 tb slow ass drive for media storage and only keep os and apps on the ssd

aren't you close to a microcenter? They should have some kind of 4670k/asus motherboard combo you can snatch for cheap.

also, don't buy a shitty powersupply. you dont need it blowing up and taking out the rest of your rig. get something "bronze" rated. You don't need anything beyond that, but you really don't want anything below that.

something like the corsair cx430 is fine, no need to go overboard.

rest of the shit advised by erik above is a+++

1. I hear Biostar is bunk, but this one particular board is an exception, and is highly rated by GAF geeks, Tom's Hardware, Amazon, and Newegg, for being the most bang for your buck z87 board. I was looking at mobos from the other companies ye mentioned last night, all look good, but have small subtle downsides as well. Asus is reliable as shit though, I dropped my Asus monitor onto a concrete sidewalk the other day by mistake, and nary left a mark. Very high quality stuff.

2. Yep, I meant 2 sticks of 4gb low pro ram.

3. Aye, thats definitely the plan good sir. Though at this juncture, I want to Gaza Strip it, and hold off on a big hdd for a few months down the road. The case I'm getting is a Corsair 200r mostly toolless, so adding and subtracting drives wont be an issue.

@Dorian, honestly, you're not too far off from the truth. I hardly use my home pc, as I'm stuck using the net for 8 hours each night at work. So basically this rig is to download True Detective episodes and fap to Rebecca Linares. :oops:

also, don't buy a shitty powersupply. you dont need it blowing up and taking out the rest of your rig. get something "bronze" rated. You don't need anything beyond that, but you really don't want anything below that.

something like the corsair cx430 is fine, no need to go overboard.

rest of the shit advised by erik above is a+++

I'll heed this advice, cheers bro. Yea, I'm near a Fry's, but I don't like going out in public and being surrounded by tardlingers to save $10.

nah, microcenter, not fry's. microcenter sells their cpu's as a loss leader, and sometimes have good cpu/motherboard bundles. $50-100 savings minimum at times from what i've seen people post online. if you dont wanna deal with that shit though newegg/amazon will be great. i wish amazon.ca was as good as it's US counterpart - it's terrible for electronics still.

nah, microcenter, not fry's. microcenter sells their cpu's as a loss leader, and sometimes have good cpu/motherboard bundles. $50-100 savings minimum at times from what i've seen people post online. if you dont wanna deal with that shit though newegg/amazon will be great. i wish amazon.ca was as good as it's US counterpart - it's terrible for electronics still.

Just discovered them today coincidentally enough. $45 off the processor I want, however all sold fn out!

Also, I am indeed going with an Asus mobo for my rig. Deciding between the Z87-A and the Z87 Pro. Probably the former, as I dont need all these extra frills, and want the most bang for my buck as possible.

BRB, I need to poo.

1. I hear Biostar is bunk, but this one particular board is an exception

you (or anyone) don't know that yet

it might be great today but what if the capacitors are shit and it craps out in three years?

if you're looking for reliable, stick with the more reputable brands. there's no guarantee those are good boards in the long run either but you probably have a better chance

fwiw i have an asus m5a97 le r2.0 and have not had any problems with it so far (but it is an amd board, so not relevant to your build)

before that i had two msi boards in succession that were also both good

Asus Z87-Pro has been ordered. I ressurected my old Sony Vaio laptop, so I'll be purchasing all the components at a snail's pace. (Probably over the next month or two.)