The threadmill, aka fitness discussion

I'm still more or less sticking to the eating/excercise plan Hyena proposed and after 10 days i can say that there are visible improvements. I don't know exactly how many kilos i've lost but my belly is visibly smaller. I no longer have the need to eat as much as i did and i don't feel hungry all the time anymore. Just to keep you updated on a topic that no one cares about. :)

Congratulations for being successful in achieving your goals.
Congratulations to Hyena for her useful advise.

How about you and German wine? :)

As for me, I only do my tuesday and thursday nine-pin bowling training routine, which is now extended to matches on Saturday. Its already cold here, seems summer packed it really early this year, so I will probably switch from beer to wine very soon (not that I drink everyday, mind you). My weight has stabilised around 77 kilos, so Im fine.

Im not sure it has been sufficiently pointed out what an awesome play of words the thread title really is.. and I only recently noticed anyway :Smug:
Anyway, we're moving this weekend, so this sunday was my goodbye match with my sunday footie group.. this thursday follow another.. and tomorrow I'll have a goodbye jog with my friend. I never thought Id start missing this place :(
Until now I didnt have the time either, had an exam last wednesday, an oral exam for an almost-missed exam this thursday.. and a very last exam on the 16th. If I hadnt had my footie, I might just have gone insane this summer :zzz:

I had one of the most intense weeks since June, I was so tied up I barely had time to sleep, not even mention going to the gym.

Ha!

Still in a good shape ;)

Ha!

After finishing with home entertainment system, I started building home gym. Well, going to my regular place is kind of a challenge these days in this weather, and having that excuse for next 6 months is not an option. I'll be there may be twice a week for some weight training and more frequently for cardio, but I'm opting for home weight training for now.

Checked on prices and found out it's not going to be expensive to own some equipment, which will help me to stay in shape, and all I'll have to do is to step into living room (which serves as photo studio for my roommate from time to time).

Also need to pick up boxing gloves, so we can spar right there - tried in the store, and it was fun :)

Now I just need to buy my own house to do whatever I want - 2 bedroom apartment in Center City is shrinking with all this :)

@plintus: well, sometimes i train at home too, and i normally elect to do calisthenics. it started out as a matter of necessity, because i didn't own much equipment besides four dumbells, but in the end it's a very good thing to have 1-2 workouts a week without machines. if you do squats (regular and asymmetrical), pushups (normal for pecs, reverse for triceps), dips on a random avaiable surface (kitchen counters are normally at the right angle), and all varieties of crunches, doing a mad number of reps to compensate for the lack of additional weight, you'll find that you get something that resembles an aerobic workout without all the boredom of treadmills.

as for me, given my damaged back i'm not doing any lifting except for ridiculously light curls, but i'm trying to swim every day, and i'm doing a lot of stretching in the vain hope that my spine magically rights itself. this means that i have to be very careful with food - while the swimming will keep me from getting fat, i don't need as much protein as i used to with three weekly sessions of challenging lifting. seeing how i'm in america, it's quite hard to keep off the bangs and burgers, but i swear i am trying. :p

What's the extent of the equipment you're looking to get?

+ more weight plates (I've got a 100 lbs so far, need prolly another hundred-hundred fifty);
+ dumbbell handles, so I can use plates with them;
+ some station for chinups/situps/crunches/dips;
+ incline/decline bench for chest exercises - I don't plan to use barbell for that. I'm leaving those and squats/lower body/legs/cardio workouts for the gym;
+ floormat, so I don't damage wooden floors... and neighbors below;
+ boxing gloves and some punching bag (I have a flatmate for that, but he's not always available).

Now I don't have room for pool table :-/ Shame.

@plintus: my brother used to own a miniature pool table, but it really was boring - too small. i love playing pool, but wouldn't want to do it at home... the pub scenario is part of the atmosphere for pool games. :)

@plintus: my brother used to own a miniature pool table, but it really was boring - too small. i love playing pool, but wouldn't want to do it at home... the pub scenario is part of the atmosphere for pool games. :)

Our place has enough room for that OR something else (as I said living room is often used as photo studio), the pool table is quite large, not full size, I think, but really close to it, plus there'd be enough place in the room not to smash windows with cues while playing.

Each of us has his own room, where we live in comfort, but living room is for discarded ideas of our wild imagination, which didn't fit in our areas, so living it can be pretty much anything: a bar, storage, a boxing ring, Blue Oyster disco (we are SO getting that disco ball!!), circus, mental home, gym - depends on the mood, time of the night and volume of booze consumed by Ughi.

Or we can all sit around and watch financial news:

1995412290_bcabe66661_o.jpg

(you can mention a glory hole in the background)

I've got 100 lbs more in SHINY!!!! things. Home training pays off nicely - I work with the same weights as I do in the gym on some muscle groups. There were no whole lot of useful equipment there in terms of benches to buy, so I have to look around a tad longer - I opted out for a bigger station, as it seemed too shaky and unstable when I tried it in the store. And it was occupying a lot of space. So I can still get that 7' pool table!

So far so good:

iron666.jpg

@plintus: wow, cool.

and you're right in wanting a good bench. i am the living (well, "living"...) testimony that paying attention to your back while benchpressing is paramount. lest you want to be in pain every time you sneeze.

on the other hand, i find that i hate swimming less than i anticipated. it can be cool and it feels less demanding than running, although it isn't.

why would you want three of those two handed barbells (or whatever they're called)?

They came with 100lbs sets. Came in handy - I'm using different weights for differnet exercises with barbells, so instead of adding/removing stuffs I just switch barbells.

And I used girls of Greek decent to train my genitalia. True story. A short one as well (not as short as my penis tho).

@hyena: ouch. Yeah, I left benchpressing to the gym actually, which I'm used to, the bench will be for dumbbells exercises: biceps, some for chest, crunches (whateber they are), but I'm not using barbells for that at home - I'm closing back on heavy weights, so accidentally dropping that on my hardwood floors... ouch :)

If they weren't short, chances are they weren't greek either.

The story was short, the girl was 5'4"... ah, my broken heart! Now entire Greek diaspora all over the world has no chance to have gene pool improved by me *sob*

But as my boyfriend is saying - it's better to break your heart than penis... or rectum.

p.s. Sad, sad story...