The threadmill, aka fitness discussion

Haha, I have a Manfrotto too! I'll probably be in NYC in 3 wks, wanna have a go? I'll bring a VERY heavy video camera tripod tho ( http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/3322?livid=68|73&idx=75 ), possibly cheating (but still Manfrotto) :p

Wow, that's a cool one, I think these are used in Ant/Arctica.

I've been dying to go to New York, where I'll be for Beatallica show at the end of the month... hmmmmm, we could arrange something when everything is confirmed :kickass:

I officially didnt win the fight against the beergut before the deadline I set myself. But Im playing and running regularly. I keep telling myself Im on the good track, though I should probably be less self-satisfied..

the begining of this week was rather full of sport: we walked through downtown Aachen for 2 days looking for appartments, and then the 3rd day, we visited Cologne, and walked some more... i hadnt been so tired in a while....

I'm kinda on the fence where to post it: here or in "What Siren wants" thread, but seeing beergut mentioned - here it is:

Beergut vs. Washboard!!!

polar.jpg

I've been browsing my 2 year old photos recently. I want to destroy all data and get partial amnesia.

Really.

So that's what I'll be working on when Swedish brain surgeon comes over soon. Hopefully. Tripod fights and stuff.

P.S. Off to the gym.

@plintus: is that really you? in which case, congratulations. it must have taken some hard work. also, you (or whoever the guy in the pic is) manage to look fit and good without having arms that are bigger than the average person's thighs - i have a powerlifter in my office, and these days he's wearing polo shirts so his upper arms are more exposed than with longsleeve stuff. i find his body more freaky than attractive, he's just too huge.

Hm, that's me, actually :)

I'm working on my arms as well, but I'd prefer to keep them proportional... even though part of me wants to get big :heh: Saw a guy on the street: 5 feet something, but the arms were like you say - HUGE. Made me change my mind :)

i have an annoying summer cold, and i'm wondering why it is that this year my immune system fails every about five minutes. back when i started training in the fall of 2004, i had the best year ever health-wise: lost a lot of weight, did not get ill for about ten months in any way, and i cannot fathom what it is that i did at the time that i'm not doing now. i know there have been a couple of episodes of overtraining that left me too weak, one last summer and one this year, but aside from this and maybe silly sleep schedules i don't see what i should be changing. i'll have to think of it because i don't want to spend another year getting sick every two months.

@hyena: do you eat right, taking vitamins and so on? maybe your cold is from the air-conditioning.
btw, my mom always says that swimming in the sea during the summer keeps her healthier during winter. her magic number is 30 swimming sessions per summer.

@siren: yeah, i have a very healthy diet. but you're right, the air conditioning is ewww dangerous, and got me unwell. tomorrow, however, i will be in your country, and this will magically erase any and all illnessess. :p

@siren: yeah, i have a very healthy diet. but you're right, the air conditioning is ewww dangerous, and got me unwell. tomorrow, however, i will be in your country, and this will magically erase any and all illnessess. :p
i moved half of the discussion to the chat thread, but i'm too lazy to go back there and edit, so: my brother got sick a while ago from his uni's a/c. it was kinda nasty, he had to take antibiotics. and a girl got sick at the same time in his building as well, central a/c is teh evil.

Just benchpressed 215 lbs (97.5 kg) x 4 on Smith's machine (spent like 2 hours in the gym again).

Got to know there's largest in-door rock climbing gym on East Coast located in Philadelphia (well, the place is huge anyway :), so I'll be trying it out some time this week.

september is rolling in and it is time to be disciplined.
tomorrow i will renew my gym membership, and i will embark on light training so as to counteract the random eating on business trips. not that i got fat (i actually weigh less than at the start of the summer), but i guess i have swapped some muscle for soft stuff, especially in the last four weeks. also, i have been sleeping in subpar beds so i have a bad back, and i need to work out for a while to get rid of the pain.
in a month i should be good and ready to make a bid for another winter of strength training and a lot of concentration work.

Ha, my body gave up after 3 weeks of intensive training, so I'm taking this weekend off (plus all my gym clothes are in laundry bag, and I don't feel like doing one :p)

Can't be happier with the results :)

It's the first or second time i open this thread and i must say that you guys are very inspiring. I have been planning to get back into shape for some time now but somehow im just too lazy. It seems to me that there is so much to be done an i don't really know where to start. I went biking a couple of times and it was pretty exhausting but it was uphill and i felt that it gets easier over the time. Too bad i smoke too much i think that's my biggest problem. Anyway, i have a small-to-medium sized beergut which i want to kill. What should i do? Should i focus on something, like running or abdomial excercises? Also is there any food type i should avoid or focus to? I'm not really aiming for some instant results or whatnot, i just want a progamme which will not make me hate myself and the world after 2 days:)
Could anyone help me out here?

@cuthalion: getting rid of beerguts is easy.

1. low-carb, low-fat diet. this means: avoid bread, pasta, potatoes, sauces (try oil/lemon instead of animal fat condiments), pork, fat fish such as salmon, and desserts. it sounds terrible but it can actually be delicious, especially if you go for mediterranean dishes. wine is better than beer; no soft drinks; moderate quantities of sugar in your coffee. if you want to strengthen your immune system, pile up high on the vegetables, possibly raw, and fruit.

2. aerobic exercise. running at a moderate pace (rule of thumb: can talk but can't sing) for about 40 minutes once every two days should be alright. it will also decrease your desire for cigarettes, once you realize that running 2-3 hours after a smoke is completely different from running 20 mins after one.

3. calisthenics: crunches (regular and inverted) and leg raises for your abs; squats for your legs and gluteals; pushups for your pecs and arms.

when you start getting rid of your beer gut - should be done and over with in 30 to 50 days if you're serious about it - you should also start with more anaerobic training if you want a better body. not now tho: intense strength training requires a lot of eating, and it is not the best of things to do when trying to lose weight.

is rice ok when trying to get rid of a beergut) (as it offen replaces potatoes or pasta in a dish) or does it have the same effect as them?

@dark_silence: yes, rice is better than the rest, but of course it depends on what goes with it. i will also reply to Taliesin in the same breath: try garlic rice, just sautée small quantities of garlic and a few shallots in a pan, then boil regular white rice (do not fry it), and serve the rice with more or less 1 tablespoon of the aromatized oil and more or less 1 teaspoon of parmesan cheese. sprinkle liberally with pepper or paprika, if you like. this is a typical good way to get a very tasty carb-intensive entrée without getting fat. quantity of rice: 60 to 120 grams depending on gender and body type. if you want to lose weight, you should have such a dish only once a day.

this is just an example, of course, and maybe you hate garlic, because you're a tr00 goth vampire :p but a typical slim-down diet would entail stuff like this:

absolutely forbidden anytime: butter (also for cooking: use olive oil!), desserts, carbonated drinks, spirits, charcuterie except if it's lean cured meat such as bresaola

recommended on a typical day:

breakfast:
coffee/tea/juice
1-2 apples or any other fruit except grapes (high in sugar) or bananas (high in protein)

lunch:

appropriate portion of rice or pasta with light condiment. 1 tablespoon of olive oil or pesto or natural tomato sauce are ok, as of course are any herbs and spices you might want to add; anything which is based on cream, sour cream, or animal fat is definitely not. a risotto is ok every once in a while, but try to keep to boiled rather than fried or sautéed at least 70% of the time. where spices are concerned, get the original powdered ones rather than pre-made ones: for example, i do my own curries starting from curry powder and mixing it with whatever the base is for what i'm cooking. it tastes definitely better than most of the prepackaged variety, not to mention that it's waaay healthier.

one reasonable serving of white fish, such as sole, or white meat such as chicken breast, cooked in the oven. again, the trick is to work with flavors without piling on excess calories: in the case of sole, you can try for example to add basil for aroma, lemon for accentuation of taste, and black olives - if you can find them, gaeta olives - as a nice complement. it can taste wonderful and you don't need to get fat. in the case of chicken, you can add chopped spring onions or similar long-stem vegetables and a mixture of black and white pepper. the idea is that you want to have the maximum protein per gram, and it doesn't get any better than that. lean red meat is ok as well.

any raw vegetable you want in any quantity you want. for example, salad with tomatos, carrots, black olives and white onions can be pretty good, if served with a light vinaigrette. any salad dressing of anglo-saxon origin is just evil, but it is particularly evil when you want to lose weight.

more fruit.

dinner:

about 50 grams of bread, to be made interesting for example in the form of bruschetta - small drop of oil, diced fresh tomatoes, and in the oven until crispy.

one reasonable serving of the protein source you did not have at lunch. if you don't want to do oven-cooked all the time, you can also cook in a pan, but again the base should be oil and not butter, you should avoid bacon or lardons in the base, and generally speaking you should be heavy on the rosemary and other flavors if you want the meal to taste good.

more vegetables, possibly different from the ones you had at lunch. if you want to cook them, do so, but avoid vegetable pies or other items that contain ingredients that are indeed replete with animal fat and saturated fat.

it's very important to have carrots (they carry vitamins that are harder to find elsewhere) and greens such as peas or squash.

cheese is acceptable 3-4 times per week, in substitution of meat or fish, but it should not be high-fat cheese such as camambert or brie. normally, fresh is better than seasoned, if you want to lose weight.

eggs are also ok, again in substitution of meat or fish, and boiled is better than fried.

shellfish = fat so be careful (i hate that, being a fan of shellfish, but well).

in substitution of fish and meat, the occasional serving of beans, red or white, is perfectly good. just don't have beans instead of vegetables.

as in all similar things, there's not really a strict rule, just making sense of the method and then be creative.

scout around for mediterranean recipes or ask if you want more.