The threadmill, aka fitness discussion

Am I the only one who's into race cycling?
I cicle 4 to 5 days a week between 60 to 85 km (37 to 53 miles) a day, going between 32 and 38 km (20-23 miles) an hour.
As everyone on my dads side has some kind of heart problem, I did a ECG test recently, and the results were that my heart was in excellent shape and my condition/strenght was 162% of an average woman my age, lenght and weight (i.e. 35 - 1.68m - 53 kg) so I'm quite satisfied with that :)
I'm not on a special diet, but I eat a lot of "slow" carbs as this way I can cycle for hours on high speed without getting tired. I do eat some carbs every 45-60 minutes while cycling though.

i used to belong to a Gym, We have a gym in my house but we never use it... I used to be all into fitness (I could once run 2k in 12 min or 3k in 21 min.) But now am just to Lazy... But regardless of that, I have one s duathlon (5k running and 10K biking) and even with that training.... (And trust me i trained sooo hard) I was still very weak.... It comes with my body size unfortunately... no matter how hard i go....

As far as food goes, I try and eat pretty healthy nowadays. Every morning I start with a low-fat/carb english muffin with peanut butter and honey. Around lunch I have a low-fat yogurt with a whole wheat bread + deli meat sandwhich or lowfat+carb/highprotein burrito. Dinner is normally more carb heavy, but I have alot more protein then too. Now I just need to stick to my exercising...

~kov.

Cycling - ugh, I really have to get to it, but it's more monotonous for me than running (in the gym). Oddly enough place where I go doesn't have enough cycling machines, I do it from time to time (to save my knees), but I'm not a big fan of it... may be cuz I used to ride my bike to work daily for a few eyars... over the bridge... It'd be OK now, but during those times I wasn't a big fitness enthusiast.

Nt3N said:
well.. not true.. training everyday doesn't mean u have to be exhausted between one day and the next.. the trick is training everyday a different part of your muscle-system.. for example on monday I train legs and some shoulders, on tuesday I train more shoulders, chest and biceps, on wednesday I train triceps and back. This will repeat for three more days till saturday and sunday is the relax day (also because the gym is not open). The only two exercises I do every single day are crunch abs and hyperextensions.

As for nutrition I try to avoid useless junk food, I try to avoid eating two times per meal and I try to eat mostly eggs (good for the muscles), rice (good to build up weight) and a lot of fruits, peaches in particular, because being very acid they burn fat.

I do a regular workout every other day (Mon-Wed-Fri-Sun-Tue... and so on), everything besides legs, and cardio in between with 1-2 days off depending on my work schedule/load, but I'm looking forward to try something like you mentioned - one separate group of muscles every day.

Brown rice is the best, by the way. And watch cholesterol in those eggs.

i do separate groups too, although it always depends on what my short-term goals are. for example, if i notice that i'm accumulating fat in my upper thighs, as women are wont to do, i will do adductors/abductors in every session. also, in 3 weeks i have to move houses and therefore there's going to be a lot of carrying cases etc. up and down flights of stairs, so as soon as i'm done with my back-to-form preliminary routine (next friday at the latest) i think i will do heavy back/pecs/arms work for 2 weeks so as not to get injuried during the move.

I used to train regularly, say 3 times a week for about 5 years, and then I slowed down over the past three years. Ever since, I've been trying to get my training back in the routine...unsuccessfully. So now I do train, sporadicly. I'm aware of the utter pointlessness of such random sessions and I think this thread is about to give me the motivation I've been searching to get my ass back on the track. I used to train in order to develop excellent endurance, since it's way better for my health than body-building. I have my own freeweight gym organized in my basement (sounds like I'm rich but no, it's only some weights and a few bars, I'm very versatile, that's all) and I live 2 minutes from a 400m running track. Best I get back into my ol' running shoes.

Btw, last time I checked, I could bench my own weight, 130lbs, 6 times in a row. I can do 75-80 push-ups in one sitting and about 50 sit-ups. Also, I used to be able to run 2.8 kms, the last 400m always in sprint. But it's been ages since the last time I ran.

My system being as it is, I'd have to eat about 6 pounds of Crisco every day in order to gain about 15 pounds of fat after two months of said diet, so I don't worry about accumulating extras but I would definitely appreciate a little more muscular mass. My diet needs improvement but is not bad enough to declare it a case of medical emergency. I eat good, just not enough fruits and vegetables. I usually stay as far as possible of junk food.

edit: Outdoor cross-country biking is teh shit.

@rampy: well, glad that the thread is of help in motivating you. :) for some unfathomable reason, i can do an infinite number of sit-ups in any given session and i normally settle around somewhere between 200 and 300. however, the effect is negligible, which is all the more surprising given that my trainer says i'm doing them alright. i don't aim at a six-pack, since i'm not a guy, but some more definition would be appreciated.

i'm still keeping up the rehab kind of routine :p trained tonight with very small weights and ran for about 20mins which is way beyond boredom point for me, tomorrow i'll train a different set of muscles. i really can't wait until i can go back to something that is slightly more constructive than aerobics and kid weights, but i have to hold out until the 25th minimum.

and where are everybody's pics? am i the only fool who posted them? :p

hyena said:
@rampy: well, glad that the thread is of help in motivating you. :) for some unfathomable reason, i can do an infinite number of sit-ups in any given session and i normally settle around somewhere between 200 and 300. however, the effect is negligible, which is all the more surprising given that my trainer says i'm doing them alright. i don't aim at a six-pack, since i'm not a guy, but some more definition would be appreciated.

i'm still keeping up the rehab kind of routine :p trained tonight with very small weights and ran for about 20mins which is way beyond boredom point for me, tomorrow i'll train a different set of muscles. i really can't wait until i can go back to something that is slightly more constructive than aerobics and kid weights, but i have to hold out until the 25th minimum.

and where are everybody's pics? am i the only fool who posted them? :p

I'm working on mine, but lazy-ass flatmate, who can't get off his bed after fucking 10 am don't wanna help me... ass.

BTW: iPod and other stuffs help to run, even though it's not really recommended, but sure enough help sto get through those 30-40 minutes of running.

i wish i could go training now but it's raining like fuck and it's not really safe to drive my scooter to the gym in this weather. *frowns*

in the end i braved the elements, and i got screwed by the wrong one: actually got a burn on my finger from an incandescent prong, rather than slipping on the water. i wish i could be done with these endurance sessions, but they have to last 1 more week. i feel pathetic doing my curls with 2lbs dumbells, and i feel way more pathetic benchpressing a miserable 15, but apparently it's necessary to gain some muscle elasticity back before i can do strength training again. also, all the running is making me fall asleep. right, i'll stop whining now.

I found my photos from summer 2004 (which I'm so NOT going to post here).

Ew.

My worst shape, outfits and hair EVER. Why the fuck did I think goatee was cool? And who is that ugly girl beside me??? Was I fucking blind????? Fortunately enough I don't keep those photos on my PC - all are dumped on CDs in the backup somewhere. And I got lucky - that photo was on the first CD i popped, which saved me from browsing 4 Gigs of nightmareous media.

If I ever look like that again - I will kill myself. This time for sure.

Kovenant84 said:
Hey! Watch out there...

On topic, I'll put up a pic, however nauseating, later today. Just got my webcam working again last week. What timing.

~kov.

No, seriously: you either grow a full beard or you fuck off; it will look ridiculous (well, not if you are like 30-smth professional or whatever). Seriously: I got rid of it, and lemme tell you - that was one right decision.

Oh yeah, try a soul patch.

For whoever, but sure enough not for me.

plintus said:
No, seriously: you either grow a full beard or you fuck off;

Haha, I actually grew a full beard once (not very long, but I just didn't shave for about a month... trust me, it was long enough)... that shit was frightening. Probably because I'm too hairy to begin with, but damn.

~kov.

I proudly broke into 5 miles run this Friday (5.25 in 45:45 or something), pretty sure made it into 6.0 after, but it wasn't running.

Finally started seriously working biceps 2 weeks ago, at 35 cm now (wrap-around; use Google for conversion).

Next week - starting free weights, guess will be taking easy on the heaviness (I'm back to benchpressing my own 170 lbs x 4 or 165 x 6) since I don't have a partner.

Photos didn't work out yet :(

I ran 6 miles in about an hour today. I bought new shoes and Im really happy with them :) Got 50% off, too :D

The thing is, Im getting some kind of weird cramps now during the first 3km or so. Their not really cramps, it's a very annoying tightening of the calfmuscles. I make a stop after around 2km for stretching, afterwards it's better and around 4km they disappear and everything's fine. It's got nothing to do with the new shoes, Ive gotten those before already.
Did anyone ever get those, too or knows what's causing it? I thought maybe Im starting too fast? Or maybe I have sloppy technique or something? It's getting really annoying..