The threadmill, aka fitness discussion

@taliesin: it probably has to do with the berth of your run and the position you have. i sometimes get that when i do interval training - say, 1min at 8km/h and 1 min at 12 and so on. if i'm tired, i tend to perform a walking movement in the slow segments, ie try to walk very fast rather than running very slow; i overwork the calf muscles and feel annoying strains. relatively small steps tend to put more effort on the lower leg, while relatively long steps (ie running movements proper) put more effort on the upper leg. since the bulk of muscle is in the thighs rather than calves, you have to make sure that when you start running you put more effort on the upper legs. note that this is not related to speed but rather to how you move; a good rule of thumb is trying to 'run tall' - very straight back, and lifting your knees as high up as possible. this type of movement weighs way more on the thighs than on the hamstring-calve system. you don't need to be fast at the start, you can adopt a small 'trot' and still not get hurt, provided you're actually 'running tall'. then, once your muscles are warm you can, if you like, have power walking spells as well to reinforce your calves (however, be sure it's not a half-hearted run, because that would damage your back).

this said, i've finally finished my back-to-form routine so now i get to do the fun stuff. i'm still going quite easy, but i managed to do my 3x12 arm curls with 6.5kg per arm on wednesday with no pain whatsoever, which means that if i work hard i'll go back to the summertime peak of 10.5kg per arm. i still look quite crummy, because i've burnt the little excess fat there was but muscle tone is not optimal... however, i'm optimistic. my scheduled groups for today are: back, shoulders, triceps.

1. Stretch like 10 minutes prior to running or do some real light weights legs curl (where you don't feel the weight).

2. It can be shoes as well - not all running shoes are good for you.

I went for free weights. Motherfucker, like I never excercised :D Well, dumbells are OK, but benchpress... fuck :heh:

Leg/muscle pain, as a runner I've had trouble with that.
It's probably a circulation problem? Not enough blood reaching that area causes inflammation
thus the pain. Diet can help, cut back on meat, fried foods that sort of thing.
What cured it for me was supplements. I take Turmeric (curcumin), I don't know if that's available worldwide? Or you can try these Horse Chestnut, Butcher's Broom.
Take any supplement everyday for about 8 weeks, then none for a week, after that take them 6 days a week, I usually skip on Sunday, keep repeating, skip a week after 8 weeks, take them for 6 days out of the week. Doing this lets your body absorb the supplements.
*Important always take supplements on an empty stomach*

I started jogging last week. Some of my goals:
- Lose 10 lbs by year's end
- Run a mile within 12 minutes
- Then run 5 miles within an hour

i keep on feeling unfit. for some mysterious reason, i can't do more than 2 dips in a row anymore. i used to do 6x4 in late july. it's weird, especially given that benchpressing abilities remain more or less constant. i need to be more aggressive.

I did free weights squats yesterday.

I tried to run for S shuttle today and couldn't, like in a bad dream, where you are trying to ran away and can't, cuz your legs are moving like they are deep in jelly (I caught the train, btw :D)

Free weights rule! But I have to skip cardio today, cuz my legs still won't move :D

Seems like hyena's tips are working :) I get fewer calfcramps now. The first time I tried was quite awful though, I had problems finding my rythm and still felt some strains in the muscles, but last night was ok. So I hope it's sorted out now :)

I just did 12km in 1h20, my normal round is about 8-9km but when I was done I felt like going on and see how far my feet would take me. Im pretty happy with the result for now :p

Well I got my exercise the other day. Got back from my driver's test (hooray), and after showering/changing and such I found I had 9 minutes to get the 3/4 mile to the train station from my house. Somehow I made it. But I had that cool raspy throat feeling I used to get after running a race. I say cool, because that's how it would feel in a different context. In context, it hurts like a bitch.

~kov.

Taliesin said:
I just did 12km in 1h20, my normal round is about 8-9km but when I was done I felt like going on and see how far my feet would take me. Im pretty happy with the result for now :p

Long-distance running lost it's excitement for me, because I can't be doing long distances every other day. So I'm going back to 3 miles (or so) runs 3 or whatever times a week again.

Oh yeah, - and free weights rule :loco:

I've started reducing the number of times I go to workout as I have not so much time and I still want to run. So now I'm doing 3 times workout (which is better than 6 as I give more time for my muscles to rebuild) and 3 times a half-an-hour run at a moderate pace.

plintus said:
Hey, I told you :heh:
sure but I knew u were right.. but when one starts working out for the first few weeks (in my case 6-7 weeks) the muscles need to be stressed a lot and very often to get used to working out.. now that some mucles have built up I can take it easier and work out just 3times x week.

Nt3N said:
sure but I knew u were right.. but when one starts working out for the first few weeks (in my case 6-7 weeks) the muscles need to be stressed a lot and very often to get used to working out.. now that some mucles have built up I can take it easier and work out just 3times x week.

Muscles are stressed out with heavier weights, so fewer excersises with averagely heavier weights "activate" muscles better, while working out more often when you just exhaust them.

Another point.

plintus said:
Muscles are stressed out with heavier weights, so fewer excersises with averagely heavier weights "activate" muscles better, while working out more often when you just exhaust them.

Another point.
coz I worked out more often with heavy weights :Smokin:

10.19 km yesternight for 1:01:zipit:x at a medium pace. I needed to last longer, cuz I was watching LOST for entire time.

The episode sucked, by the way :(