The Whining and Bitching Thread

You have to give her credit for creating one of the first horror/science-fiction stories, especially one that has had such long-lasting influence. Poe's Ligeia can't claim the same influence that Frankenstein had.

And personally, I think she's a great writer. She just wasn't as clutch as Percy.

You have to give her credit for creating one of the first horror/science-fiction stories, especially one that has had such long-lasting influence. Poe's Ligeia can't claim the same influence that Frankenstein had.

And personally, I think she's a great writer. She just wasn't as clutch as Percy.
It was a good story, definitely, and very influential. She's like the Led Zeppelin of horror.

I disagree, but also keep in mind her husband added a lot of the boring five page descriptions of the countryside to the book.
Those were him?
Then fuck him.

I despise long ass setting descriptions and things of that nature in literature. I understand that some description is necessary, but when half of the chapter is introducing a house? Get to the point already! Luckily I've developed good skimming techniques so I can just skip most of the crap in literature or even novels if I don't think it's important, and I still get all the parts that are good or important. :)

^ I agree 100%. I try to write as if I'm telling a story to someone. Of course I will not write exactly like that, but I doubt anyone wants to read pages and pages describing the setting.

I despise long ass setting descriptions and things of that nature in literature. I understand that some description is necessary, but when half of the chapter is introducing a house? Get to the point already! Luckily I've developed good skimming techniques so I can just skip most of the crap in literature or even novels if I don't think it's important, and I still get all the parts that are good or important. :)

Works better in Vergil.

It works in Romantic literature too; it has a very specific part to play. Nature was a huge symbol for the Romantics.

That doesn't mean you have to like it though. :cool: It definitely can get tedious.

I despise long ass setting descriptions and things of that nature in literature. I understand that some description is necessary, but when half of the chapter is introducing a house? Get to the point already! Luckily I've developed good skimming techniques so I can just skip most of the crap in literature or even novels if I don't think it's important, and I still get all the parts that are good or important. )
I agree. It's one of the reasons I dislike romanticism

A lot of Romantic period music is crap, too. If I have to hear another Strauss waltz on the radio I'm going to shoot myself.