The Whining and Bitching Thread

^I don't understand what you mean.

@Strongontherothge: I completely disagree with you, and it has nothing to do with the aging hardware itself, it has to do with the improving quality and the system requirements.

Graphics and general system requirements in PC games are lagging far behind the technology. It's kinda sad...

The technology is there to make games a lot better, but PC game development is forced to hold back because of consoles.

I'm not aware of the details, but I kinda assumed consolization was at fault. My impression is that usually the new generation of consoles are ahead of PC graphics at launch, at least for a little while, but this time around I think PCs had already eclipsed both the 360 and PS3 at launch. Sadface. If only there was money in big-budget PC-exclusive titles.

Even PC focused developers like Valve seem to be holding back. (although some could argue it's because of the Source engine(although, the engine was made with the idea that it would be updated quite a bit(plus I'm sure once Half Life 3 is made, there will be a new engine(>implying Half Life 3 will ever come out))))

^I don't understand what you mean.

@Strongontherothge: I completely disagree with you, and it has nothing to do with the aging hardware itself, it has to do with the improving quality and the system requirements.

But then how am I still playing new games (i.e. Fallout New Vegas) despite my card being 4 years old (and one of the lower end ones on top of that?). I think if someone built a fairly top of the line PC now it would last years without a problem.

But then how am I still playing new games (i.e. Fallout New Vegas) despite my card being 4 years old (and one of the lower end ones on top of that?). I think if someone built a fairly top of the line PC now it would last years without a problem.

Because games that are made for both PC and consoles are developed according to what the console hardware can handle, and obviously those are five years old now.

Nothing I've seen surpasses Far Cry 2, and nothing since then has matched it. And that was kind of a while ago. The newer COD games have snazalicious textures, but meh@everything else.

Also, just a general complaint: why for the love of god do developers of first-person games not put more time into coming up with convincing dirt and grass textures?

I'm more interested in, like, storyline and gameplay when it comes to video games than I am graphics. Not that I'm a big gamer...I don't even have any of the current consoles. But seriously, how much a game can push a computer has basically nothing to do with how good the game is.

Because games that are made for both PC and consoles are developed according to what the console hardware can handle, and obviously those are five years old now.

That was sort of the point I was trying to make. KD said "it has to do with the improving quality and the system requirements." but since nothing is developing all that much further, a lot of the pc hardware isn't becoming outdated.

It is becoming outdated, actually. I personally want the best gaming experience I can get, within reason of course, so to me upgrading essential pieces of hardware is what you have to do.

Yes, you can in fact play whatever game you want, but like you said, you're limiting yourself because of the power of your equipment. If that's how you enjoy playing, gfy, but that's not me, and it doesn't mean I'm wrong either.

I priced out a good gaming pc based on minimum system requirements for Black Ops and it was $1,099.75 + shipping. To build this pc, there's no way I could have put a video card and processor in there for $200 without severely hindering the performance of the pc.

Besides, there are games out there that take a boat load of power to operate like Crysis. When that game first came out most people couldn't afford a pc powerful enough to play it. Now three years later, to meet the minimum requirements for that game is still going to cost you at least $1k. So I think it's safe to say that the technology is improving and the demand for more powerful pcs is ever increasing, it just appears not to be affecting you all that much.

I'm more interested in, like, storyline and gameplay when it comes to video games than I am graphics. Not that I'm a big gamer...I don't even have any of the current consoles. But seriously, how much a game can push a computer has basically nothing to do with how good the game is.

Gameplay is king, but I agree, graphics < storyline/gameplay.

I'm more interested in game when it comes to videogames... I don't need enough detail to see someone sweating if I'm eating mushrooms and jumping on tortoises. I've come at the tail end of the N64 generation, so it annoys me when younger people just bitch about graphics before actually examining gameplay. They also tend to put down Nintendo. Ugh... I'm not saying they should go play jump man in an arcade or anything, but they should at least have some respect. </rant>

That said, I don't think graphics are a useless feature, since they can enrich gameplay. I was very impressed with the visuals and music for the DS Castlevania titles. I also fucking love Akira Yamaoka. He composed/composes music for the Silent Hill games, and he is worth a listen.

You will save a lot of money if you order the parts separately and put them together yourself.

Ya I know, but the problem I have with this is: 1) I'd rather not spend my time fucking with it. It's no fuss no muss when you order a pc pre-built online through reputable companies. 2) A lot of pc companies like Digital Storm, Alienware, CyberPower, et al, offer great warranties like Digital Storm's free 4 year warranty, and companies like Alienware offer financing as well.

It is becoming outdated, actually. I personally want the best gaming experience I can get, within reason of course, so to me upgrading essential pieces of hardware is what you have to do.

Yes, you can in fact play whatever game you want, but like you said, you're limiting yourself because of the power of your equipment. If that's how you enjoy playing, gfy, but that's not me, and it doesn't mean I'm wrong either.

I priced out a good gaming pc based on minimum system requirements for Black Ops and it was $1,099.75 + shipping. To build this pc, there's no way I could have put a video card and processor in there for $200 without severely hindering the performance of the pc.

Besides, there are games out there that take a boat load of power to operate like Crysis. When that game first came out most people couldn't afford a pc powerful enough to play it. Now three years later, to meet the minimum requirements for that game is still going to cost you at least $1k. So I think it's safe to say that the technology is improving and the demand for more powerful pcs is ever increasing, it just appears not to be affecting you all that much.

I see where you're getting at, and technology has always been improving, but it seems like it's improving more slowly then in the early 00s.

Dunno why the tired "graphics vs. gameplay" argument was brought up, it really is a dead horse. Besides, this discussion was about the technology and hardware required to play new games, which is obviously integral and important to even experiencing them. Believing good gampeplay is more important won't help your 1995 HP Pavilion play Crysis.

rahrahrah old argument is old ribble rabble snork

Uh, the complaint brought up was that the games are not keeping up with the computers, not that the computers are not keeping up with the games. Graphics, like production in music, are obviously secondary to storyline and gameplay, like songwriting. It didn't seem that this was obvious at the time that I posted based on the posts above mine.

The topic was never about gameplay and storyline, so again I don't know why anyone felt the need to bring it up.