The Whining and Bitching Thread

How did gear work in EQ? Or 'buffs' enhancements, etc? Never played but always heard of it as the game that required no outside life because it took up all your time

Gear and buffs in EQ weren't really any different than WoW from what I can remember. Of course I have no idea about now. There are/were more classes though and the classes had pretty specific roles. There were essentially no "battle clerics" and certainly no "tanking druids".

40 was pretty hard back in the day, now it's 25man/10 man caps in raids because Blizzard realized it. Just having 40 people to show up from 7pm-1/2am was usually hard during weekdays because of school/some kids were cool etc. There were outdoor bosses like your describing your large raids in EQ but those went away after 60 unless i'm forgetting something. Everyone could technically help but couldn't be part of the loot. Raids had movements and whatnot, it wasn't just spamming 1-2-3 in that order the entire fight, it's more like that now though from what I Understand.

Yeah uberness in EQ required an immense timesink and high level of organization/commitment. My guild raided 4~ nights a week, and although you weren't required to attend every raid, you had to maintain something like 50% attendance in the last month to be eligible for loot. During the peak of the period most people in that guild were at 70%+ attendance, so raiding for like 5 hours a night, 3 nights a week. That is on top of any solo xping etc. So you're talking about some 100 people playing maybe 15-20 hours a week at least, and that was just one guild.

I don't understand half of what's been said on the last page or two.

I'm enjoying a few beers in the Baltimore airport after delivering what I think was a successful paper at a panel. My only goal now is to be sober when I get to my car in the economy lot.

Wrong thread, dude.

I was bitching about having to drive when I get home. My moments of frustration are often bound up with moments of enjoyment, so the fascist thread divisions on this forum often don't suit my needs.

Gear and buffs in EQ weren't really any different than WoW from what I can remember. Of course I have no idea about now. There are/were more classes though and the classes had pretty specific roles. There were essentially no "battle clerics" and certainly no "tanking druids".

That's what I mean, WoW just used the predominant system in hand. You definitely missed the glory days of the game. There wasn't as much mixing. Every class had one role. I was a shaman so there was like 3 of us max in a raid because our healing sucked but our totems rocked, so the raid would strategize our talent specs for whatever we were buffing in that effect. The game later turned every class into at least 3 desireable ways to play, probably more for PVP, but the game was(is?) pretty specific on PVE talents/gear/class etc.

Druids for instance didn't tank a damn thing until post 70 and were considered really useless for PVE. Then they got the tree form and the bear form got the insane armor boost to rival warriors.

Yeah uberness in EQ required an immense timesink and high level of organization/commitment. My guild raided 4~ nights a week, and although you weren't required to attend every raid, you had to maintain something like 50% attendance in the last month to be eligible for loot. During the peak of the period most people in that guild were at 70%+ attendance, so raiding for like 5 hours a night, 3 nights a week. That is on top of any solo xping etc. So you're talking about some 100 people playing maybe 15-20 hours a week at least, and that was just one guild.

Oh I feel like WoW required that much more, but I don't understand why there wasn't a level cap? Once you got max level it was all about farming for potions, using your professions so you improve you gear and then trying to profit off it. It was an insane time sink, and that was only PvE. In the old days of PVP the rankings on the server literally had to do with how many kills you got in a PVP setting. So you literally had to get 10's of thousands for like a month straight in order to get that top spot. It became an industry on my server, guilds took turns getting players to that top spot and it was all really calculated.

In conclusion, you just simply missed the glory days. The PVP aspect was at its best @ 70 though.

Apparently I haven't had car insurance for some time, despite me giving my mother money for a policy I share with her. I share because I have no credit history, and having my own policy at 24 would be way more expensive.

So she just tells me a few days ago I've been driving with no insurance. I bring up my payments, she goes into the usual rant of how she puts a roof over my head.

Because of the lapse, I'm looking at about 200 a month for a bare bones PLPD policy for my piece of shit car, if I get my own through an uncle pulling some strings asap. On top of other bills, which pretty much drains the money I make working 60 hours a week. Don't have that cash for a few more days. Its my own fault for being 24 and not doing things on my own, and trusting a drug addict for way too long. But she's never fucked me over THIS badly.

Meanwhile, time to build some credit, even though credit cards terrify me. I just wish I had normal parents. Or that I wasn't a dumbass and had started establishing credit and doing my own thing years ago.

Tldr trust no one, and if you have kids, please instill responsibility and credit history for them early as possible.

I was under the impression all they bring is problems because my parents have ridiculous debt, but I am learning that a good score is pretty much mandatory. At least where I live. Wish it wasn't necessary because I pay for my own shit out of pocket responsibly. Car, school, everything. Zero debt. I save up and thought I could live life that way.

I never got a credit card when I turned 18 and now I can't. (Unsure how to fix this) So I buy beater cars and live in a house I lucked into getting on a land contract.

I also got a credit cared when I turned 18. One of the worst decisions of my life.

I was under the impression all they bring is problems because my parents have ridiculous debt, but I am learning that a good score is pretty much mandatory. At least where I live. Wish it wasn't necessary because I pay for my own shit out of pocket responsibly. Car, school, everything. Zero debt. I save up and thought I could live life that way.

I owe my good habits with credit cards to my father, who taught me never (unless absolutely necessary) to borrow against the future, meaning avoid purchasing with a credit card what I could not afford buying with a debit card at the present moment. In a sense, all my credit card purchases remain simply a means to build credit.

I also built credit by using my credit card to go buy things for my parents, such as groceries, and then at the end of each month my father would transfer it all to my bank account. Also, having parents with stable finances is certainly a win.

I owe my good habits with credit cards to my father, who taught me never (unless absolutely necessary) to borrow against the future, meaning avoid purchasing with a credit card what I could not afford buying with a debit card at the present moment. In a sense, all my credit card purchases remain simply a means to build credit.

I also built credit by using my credit card to go buy things for my parents, such as groceries, and then at the end of each month my father would transfer it all to my bank account. Also, having parents with stable finances is certainly a win.

Yes make sure you add in these comments how you are a white rich entitled kid that never has to worry about his finances.

Credit cards are stupid and a way for the white man to keep you down and profit off a fake market.

The whole credit system is pretty fuckin retarded if you're the type of person who pays their bills and doesn't spend more than you have. But you need established history for things like an apartment or a car loan in my area, or risk paying way more if you're even accepted as a potential customer. Sure, I try to save money, but I can't pay a whole year's worth of rent or outright buy a running car if mine breaks down. I always have to have cash saved for the inevitable and keep my fingers crossed.

I've wracked my brain out of curiosity for a more efficient system of gauging a consumer's ability to pay back or calculate risk factors for particular leasees/ clients and can't think of any. It would be based purely on trust really, and I can't blame these enterprises for being wary.

My wife and I pay off our credit card bill every month. Fuck credit card debt. That said, it is possible to balance your budget while using a credit card, and it doesn't mean buying only what you can afford based on what's in your bank account. It means buying what you can afford based on what you know will be in your bank account.

Credit is a logical development of capital, there's no getting around it. We could blow up the company headquarters like they do in Fight Club, but they'll just build them back up again.

The credit system, without going too much in depth, is not retarded. Certainly there are problems with certain aspects of the modern financial system, of which credit is a part, but credit/interest are not some sort of inherently fucked up/evil thing. They can be a boon to both borrower and lender.

The biggest problem for credit is the manipulation of interest rates via central bank policy. Rates should occur based on actual supply and demand, rather than the central bank attempting to "spur demand" by dropping rates. This contributes to debt bubbles and everything else that goes along with them.

It is a non-starter of an argument, in my mind, to claim that credit is bad because some people might abuse it/be unable to handle it. Fuckin water needs to be handled properly or you might drink yourself to death.

As far as the pointlessness of credit for those who don't need it to "live beyond their means", this is incorrect. It's been sufficiently long enough since I read on the topic, so I don't remember the specific terminology, but how much money you have or can expect to have in the future essentially controls your (at least short term) purchasing power. If I have x$ amount and there is something I need anyway which happens to be on sale in bulk, but it uses the total of x$ amount, leaving me broke until a future date, I must pass on that deal and buy in the more expensive per unit amount but immediately cheaper quantity. Our income is pretty much never constant. We have pay days, which may be of varying length apart. We already have to "stretch" dollars to make them cover the distance (to "smooth" our financials), and in doing so reduce the absolute purchasing power. Credit allows for us to smooth our production/consumption and savings pattern above and beyond what our mere income allows us to do.

Of course it also provides an incentive to save for the purpose of lending for a possible return.

The credit system, without going too much in depth, is not retarded. Certainly there are problems with certain aspects of the modern financial system, of which credit is a part, but credit/interest are not some sort of inherently fucked up/evil thing. They can be a boon to both borrower and lender.
MOdern practices are not the problems with credit. My shitty recollection of history dates back to late 18th century America, it's never changed.

The biggest problem for credit is the manipulation of interest rates via central bank policy. Rates should occur based on actual supply and demand, rather than the central bank attempting to "spur demand" by dropping rates. This contributes to debt bubbles and everything else that goes along with them.
Government credit policies are worse than private policies?

It is a non-starter of an argument, in my mind, to claim that credit is bad because some people might abuse it/be unable to handle it. Fuckin water needs to be handled properly or you might drink yourself to death.
It's literally a system in which people with money can make money off helping poor people who aspire to a materialistic society. This equivalency is doo-doo

Of course it also provides an incentive to save for the purpose of lending for a possible return.

This has got to be the minority option here. How many people seriously hope to borrow and then one day to lend out to others? You were in the military, you should know damn well the problems with credit agencies and the system