The Whining and Bitching Thread

A lot of the kids I went to high school with were in families that worked at the docks at the Port of Los Angeles. It's stupid hard to get into the Longshoremen union. There's a five year waiting list just to be a casual. But once you're in, you're in. You can tie a rope from the boat to the dock and get paid $36/hr. Work only a few hours a day? Get paid for a full eight hours. One of my buddy's dad is a shift leader; he went to nights because it paid $50K more. Crane drivers get paid a minimum of $200k, but it takes at least fifteen years of experience to become one. As a result of all of this, most of the kids I went to high school with were absolute shitheads. They didn't care about anything because they knew once they graduated there was a sweet job waiting for them.

Of course, there is always the possibility of a container being dropped on you. It happens.

I worked for a lawn care company in high school and a few years into college and it firmly cemented the fact that I didn't want to work manual labor at all. Of course now I kinda miss it.

I worked in a grocery store warehouse for seven years as a receiver unloading trucks and processing paper work. The pay was okay ($14/hr, which is pretty good actually for a grocery store), and the hours were consistent (which never happens at a grocery store). The job itself was okay...depended on what day of the week it was and what trucks were coming in. It was nice in that I pretty much worked by myself, it was a nice mix of mental/physical labor, and I got to work around guys and tell dirty jokes all day. It was a dead end though. It helped me get through college and grad school

A lot of the kids I went to high school with were in families that worked at the docks at the Port of Los Angeles. It's stupid hard to get into the Longshoremen union. There's a five year waiting list just to be a casual. But once you're in, you're in. You can tie a rope from the boat to the dock and get paid $36/hr. Work only a few hours a day? Get paid for a full eight hours. One of my buddy's dad is a shift leader; he went to nights because it paid $50K more. Crane drivers get paid a minimum of $200k, but it takes at least fifteen years of experience to become one. As a result of all of this, most of the kids I went to high school with were absolute shitheads. They didn't care about anything because they knew once they graduated there was a sweet job waiting for them.

Of course, there is always the possibility of a container being dropped on you. It happens.
Yeah it's the same here in Australia with the MUA(Maritime Union of Australia) it was very hard for me to get into not having family members involved already, the wharfie's and seafarers jobs here pretty much only go to the sons of blokes already in the industry...partly because they don't want to weaken their union with softcocks or those they don't consider to be staunch. But holy shit the industry is under severe attack from the liberal govt trying to bring in foreign labour and break the unions.

I'm done with working in an office. I'd rather do that shit now..

Work professional lawncare for a few months and you won't miss it ever again. Trust me. You work most days from 7-whenever you're done, which sometimes is past 10. It's a great way to lose weight but I didn't because I had to snack constantly throughout the day. It's one of the worst manual labor jobs. If you get on a riding mower crew it's a bit easier, but unless you have experience you're gonna be starting carrying around a trimmer and blower for 10 hours a day.

Reactions: Dak
Fuckin sick and just really feel like bitching about it somewhere. Also sucking my own dick over the fact I'm still going to both my day job and my night job regardless of illness. All 13 hours. First an office, then a factory. I am so not a pussy.

Probably gonna take Friday off though because I see this getting worse. And I'm actually a huge pussy.

Reactions: Dak
Always a job though, just means you got to move to the South and always be an operator and no longer a machinist hah

Even if you were a machinist and a damn good one at that, the market rate for one is ridiculously low compared to other skilled trades. Most machine shops are steering away from piece work type jobs and into more high volume production, which is where the money is.

I could never work in an office. When I was a college adviser for a couple of years, I sat in a rather open office, and I could hardly contain myself. I would have to step outside periodically and get some fresh air. The idea of consistent hours and schedule sounds nice though. My fiancee's office is in like a fucking basement with no windows or anything. I'd go crazy