The Whining and Bitching Thread

I agree and it makes me laugh how the vast majority of mangers think they themselves are above being 'canned', also most of them don't get there by being nice people or because of hard work. It depends on the company, I've worked fora few that promote the biggest assholes you could imagine or because they're family. That's why I love the industry I'm in ATM, brown nosing or being a cunt doesn't get you anywhere as a seafarer you have to study and have the required sea time.

Reactions: Dak
Speaking of robots... Watching Artificial Intelligence and its really fucking lame that androids aren't a regular part of society yet. How would you respond? Would you embrace them as equals? As superiors? As 'mechas'?

I've always had a soft spot for robots. Manufactured life seems equally valid to me if it requires no human operation. After all... Are we not just coding, ourselves? I could bitch all day about android rights that aren't even relevant yet.

Speaking of robots... Watching Artificial Intelligence and its really fucking lame that androids aren't a regular part of society yet. How would you respond? Would you embrace them as equals? As superiors? As 'mechas'?

I've always had a soft spot for robots. Manufactured life seems equally valid to me if it requires no human operation. After all... Are we not just coding, ourselves? I could bitch all day about android rights that aren't even relevant yet.

I consider it, along with medical enhancements of the human body, to be the next step in evolution. With regard to android rights, it really depends on whether or not its a truly sentient being. I think the AI community is way further away from developing a true AI than they like to pretend they are. Frankly, I'm skeptical of whether or not it is possible.

See: Picard's speech for Data's right to choose.
"You see, he's met two of your three criteria for sentience, so what if he meets the third. Consciousness in even the smallest degree. What is he then? I don't know. Do you? (to Riker) Do you? (to Phillipa) Do you? Well, that's the question you have to answer. Your Honour, the courtroom is a crucible. In it we burn away irrelevancies until we are left with a pure product, the truth for all time. Now, sooner or later, this man or others like him will succeed in replicating Commander Data. And the decision you reach here today will determine how we will regard this creation of our genius. It will reveal the kind of a people we are, what he is destined to be. It will reach far beyond this courtroom and this one android. It could significantly redefine the boundaries of personal liberty and freedom, expanding them for some, savagely curtailing them for others. Are you prepared to condemn him and all who come after him to servitude and slavery? Your Honour, Starfleet was founded to seek out new life. Well, THERE! IT! SITS! Waiting. You wanted a chance to make law. Well, here it is. Make a good one."

One of the best speeches in television history imo.

Reactions: Carpe Mortem