The Whining and Bitching Thread

I'm the total opposite, if I didn't have to drive I simply wouldn't own a car at all. As it stands, if I ever end up retiring from being a private contractor and go back to working with the plebs in retail (I'd like to work in a hobby store tbh) I'll immediately sell off my work car.

Well it's not like I look for an excuse to drive all the time. I do as much walking as I can. Hobby shops are great but I wouldn't want to work around my hobbies. I like to keep my work and hobby worlds apart.

If I have to sell my irreplaceable time to a business for a wage, I'd prefer to be around things that give me some enjoyment and supplement in life. I've worked in a hobby store before as well as a few record stores and I always enjoyed it more than when I worked in random places that held no interest for me.

I probably wouldn't work in a literal Games Workshop store though, the shitty quality of customer would likely drive me insane eventually.

Well it's not like I look for an excuse to drive all the time. I do as much walking as I can.

My bad, I wasn't implying anything to do with laziness, I just mean I prefer to be able to sit on a bus or a train and do some reading or mess around on the Internet/handheld video games.

If I have to sell my irreplaceable time to a business for a wage, I'd prefer to be around things that give me some enjoyment and supplement in life. I've worked in a hobby store before as well as a few record stores and I always enjoyed it more than when I worked in random places that held no interest for me.

I probably wouldn't work in a literal Games Workshop store though, the shitty quality of customer would likely drive me insane eventually.

I'm curious as to your experience of GW store customers. You mean the smell or what? I'd imagine hobby stores and record stores to not be much better.

I'm still learning how to drive, and I'm not bad. However, I like to space out a lot and my memory is a little fucked. I remember things like photos, so everything is still. Though I remember little small ridiculous details it's hard for me to take things in for the first time. This actually makes me pretty terrible with directions going to new places. I don't really like buses either. I like being able to take the train and just walk to where I need to be.

Though I like being in cars and even love the smell of cars, I can already tell it'd be a pain in the ass actually having to depend on one. Thankfully I don't need to. One less expense.

I'm curious as to your experience of GW store customers. You mean the smell or what? I'd imagine hobby stores and record stores to not be much better.

General hobby stores tend to attract a lot of conservative types and old people. Buying bits and bobs for their train sets, miniature cities, military replicas models, roleplaying games, big jigsaw puzzles etc. The place I worked at was in the same city area as a proper GW so even though we stocked some GW stuff we didn't get a lot of those customers, we had other tabletop gaming stuff though but it didn't draw a lot of people in.

GW customers are usually just autistic as fuck, annoying, demanding, impatient etc. Not really smelly in my experience, I guess because the store is so specific and niche that the customers are deep into the fandom to the point of just being total assholes about everything and also very entitled.

Record shops are the total opposite of smelly. Most smelly basement-dwelling nerd types just DL music, with those shops you mostly get old collectors, young hipsters and in my area a lot of hip hop culture types coming in to buy instrumental records for DJing.

The only thing that got really annoying in the record stores is having to answer the same question 100 times a day about some new album that is due out.

Reactions: Dak
GW customers are usually just autistic as fuck, annoying, demanding, impatient etc. Not really smelly in my experience, I guess because the store is so specific and niche that the customers are deep into the fandom to the point of just being total assholes about everything and also very entitled.

lol. Yeah I spent around 20 mins in a GW store shortly after Xmas and the ratio of normal to smelly/odd was super skewed. TBF, it's not a GW exclusive issue. DnD and Magic have it too.

Reactions: CiG
lol. Yeah I spent around 20 mins in a GW store shortly after Xmas and the ratio of normal to smelly/odd was super skewed. TBF, it's not a GW exclusive issue. DnD and Magic have it too.

I've definitely met stank ass tabletoppers don't get me wrong lmao. It could be a demographic thing here vs. there of course. Card gamers are always the absolute worst for BO in my experience.

Basements aren't really a thing in Australia. :lol:

I'm still learning how to drive, and I'm not bad. However, I like to space out a lot and my memory is a little fucked. I remember things like photos, so everything is still. Though I remember little small ridiculous details it's hard for me to take things in for the first time. This actually makes me pretty terrible with directions going to new places. I don't really like buses either. I like being able to take the train and just walk to where I need to be.

Though I like being in cars and even love the smell of cars, I can already tell it'd be a pain in the ass actually having to depend on one. Thankfully I don't need to. One less expense.

i have a dreadful sense of direction. i can live in a place for years and still struggle to find my way around. it's a problem for video games too lol

That used to be a huge problem for me as well. Total 180 from my father and older brother, both of whom traveled a lot for sales calls. It took moving to a big city for me to develop a sense of (literal) direction.

That shouldnt be too much of a problem nowadays with how readily available GPS systems are. Im also somewhat directionally challenged, but all you have to do is follow a GPS and you should arrive at your destination, on left/right. My dad used to be a truck driver in the 70s and 80s when you had to use maps, and he was really good at knowing where he was at, what roads he needed to take, etc.

Back when I first got my license and started driving to concert venues I had to print out mapquest directions there and back, and sometimes we would get lost for quite a while before finding our way again. When it got bad, id just call my dad up, literally just tell him what highway/road/exit/mile marker we were at and he would effortlessly direct me back on track.

GPS is great for finding new places, but I wonder whether it hurts developing a sense of direction. I've always had a fairly strong sense of direction, and studying google maps really helped solidify it. Also helped as a kid reading westerns etc which incorporated direction finding tips.

Well, my point was that you really dont need to hone your sense of direction these days. At least to a certain extent. Id say that if you live in a city of any sort, you should learn the grid system or however the place is organized, but otherwise if you live in a less urban area all you need to do is keep travelling on the local roads and you will become familiar enough with them. If I really think about it I can spatially map local areas in relation to each other in my head (these mountain roads dont make it so simple though tbh), but it really isnt necessary to me since I already know how to get around. Otherwise, GPS.

General hobby stores tend to attract a lot of conservative types and old people. Buying bits and bobs for their train sets, miniature cities, military replicas models, roleplaying games, big jigsaw puzzles etc. The place I worked at was in the same city area as a proper GW so even though we stocked some GW stuff we didn't get a lot of those customers, we had other tabletop gaming stuff though but it didn't draw a lot of people in.

Record shops are the total opposite of smelly. Most smelly basement-dwelling nerd types just DL music, with those shops you mostly get old collectors, young hipsters and in my area a lot of hip hop culture types coming in to buy instrumental records for DJing.

The only thing that got really annoying in the record stores is having to answer the same question 100 times a day about some new album that is due out.
I can safetly say that while people collecting model trains (and people interested in trains in general) may usually be old they are waaaaay more autistic, demanding and annoying than GW fans. Atleast around here. I've got lots of experiance with both (being a fan of both hobbies).

I can safetly say that while people collecting model trains (and people interested in trains in general) may usually be old they are waaaaay more autistic, demanding and annoying than GW fans. Atleast around here. I've got lots of experiance with both (being a fan of both hobbies).

I went to my first 40k tournament a month ago, and I was surprised at how few neckbeards were present. A different sort of environment from what I have observed anecdotally in a few stores. I also noticed there seemed to be an inverse relation between level of neckbeardiness/"autism" and the quality of the paint jobs. I'm not sure if that's due to WAAC based army flipping, rage-based army flipping, or an inability to address or lack of interest in presentation that presents across hygiene, hobby, and everything else. Maybe all of those things.

it'd take a lot to beat the obnoxious autism of chess players.

i persuaded one of my autistic anusite e-buddies (thamuz/vesupria if anyone remembers him) to take up chess a few years back and within a few months he was better than me. hbb and omni should try it too if they haven't already, they might be untapped grandmasters.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey

Not in my experience, Europeans are douchebags I guess. :lol:

i persuaded one of my autistic anusite e-buddies (thamuz/vesupria if anyone remembers him) to take up chess a few years back and within a few months he was better than me. hbb and omni should try it too if they haven't already, they might be untapped grandmasters.

Damn, how sad is that? I remember back when we were younger my chess "trained" cousin challenged me to a match over the x-mas break. He criticized my first fucking move as being "poor", but I proceeded to win the match. I really havent played too much chess since, but I usually have been able to win over my family and friends. I tried online a couple years ago and got fucking owned though, so maybe my family is just stupid.