The Whining and Bitching Thread

Nice on the short commute!

Kept the licenses. Working on the wealth management side of a big bank now. I support two financial advisors with all their paperwork, trades, money movement, etc. Even with the learning curve it's still easier than the prior gig...

I could go for that myself right about now...

Reactions: Draehl
I drive 40 minutes to work. It’s a lot, however, it’s all country roads so I’m never stuck in traffic so I don’t mind it. I also find it helps prepare me for the day ahead. The only issues is the drive home. Sometimes after a tough day I just want to be home in 10-15 minutes.

I also like to get to work early. Usually arriving between 7:15 - 7:30 and to do this I have to get up at quarter to 6 which is a bit disgusting.

I take a bus to work, it takes about 40 minutes for the bus to get there. Today it was full of kids. Two days back some retired gardener sat in front of me wearing clothes that were probably never washed. Then a fat drunken security dude came in and sat next to me. All kinds of toxicity, mostly sweat and alcohol. But I can't complain, really. At least I don't have to drive through the morning traffic myself.

What I do is listen to avant garde and read books or play something on my phone.

It will become a lot more difficult when I have to travel more. I might have to buy a vehicle then. So far so good.

My commute is about three steps from the kitchen door to my office chair. I do travel to clients some days but generally those three steps in peak hour traffic is more than enough

Reactions: Satanstoenail
Nah they are up at the GC where we send all the visitors. Down here it's spiders and mice that I have to keep an eye for in the intersections.

Today at work, I was laughed at. I was ridiculed by two women. Where can I report this.

I was running a common agarose gel electrophoresis in one of the hidden-away labs, minding my own business. I returned to take a look at how it's going and there were two merriful young scientist females.

"That -thing- right there running on 84 Volts is yours?" *grin* "Is that -SUPPOSED- to be like that??" *disgusted grin*

I only said "yes" as calm as I possibly could but it initiated a burst of laughter as they were leaving the room, leaving me sad and confused.

Is my gel running on 84V truly such a disgrace?

So I suppose my wife may have ruined my laptop while I’m at work today. She dumped a glass of green tea into it. A direct hit apparently.

Anyone have any suggestions? My laptop wasn’t anything great but it had a fucking terabyte of music on it and many family photos that I’m hoping were on the memory card stuck in the slot.

So I suppose my wife may have ruined my laptop while I’m at work today. She dumped a glass of green tea into it. A direct hit apparently.

Anyone have any suggestions? My laptop wasn’t anything great but it had a fucking terabyte of music on it and many family photos that I’m hoping were on the memory card stuck in the slot.

Only thing I can think of is to remove the hard drive and throw it in one of those assemblies you can buy to make it an external HDD as long as the HDD isn't kaput. I'm not sure how easy that is to do with a laptop HDD though.

Whatever you do, don't power it on. Dump it into a big container of rice and let it sit for 2 days.

Yeah if you've got no attachment to the machine rip out the drive, it will likely be undamaged unless there was a power surge or something similar from the liquid. Search the net for "HDD removal XYZ laptop", most are easy to remove with only a small screw driver. There is hundreds of options on the likes of Fleabay or Amazon to make the drive an external drive on another machine which only cost a few bucks, most handle all size drives but check what yours is first to make sure. Depends how old it is as to how easy it will be an SSD will have many options to connect via USB, but a 2.5inch platter will require the right connectors

Chances are if the machine didn't frazzle itself into a ball of smoke it will only need drying out and cleaning, but for a laptop it's probably a good hours work just to get it down to part level to clean it. it's doable but it's hundreds of screws many different sizes and a jigsaw that requires assembly in an exact way.

Also rice to dry out any electrical item is pretty much an internet myth. Rice can absorb moisture and people "claim" it's fixed doused phones, but it's far from the best moisture absorber to begin with, silica gel works way better than rice to gather up moisture but even that is not going to fix too many phones. However the holes, vents and gaps in general of a laptop case are reason enough not to use rice. If perchance rice got in any of those holes and into the machine it could easily cause more damage to the machine if it was turned on. If the machine is worth saving and one can't do it themselves pay someone, otherwise rip out the HDD, rip out the RAM and buy a new one.

Reactions: The Ozzman
A work colleague sent me a text yesterday asking for 300 dollars to help him pay back taxes for.....unpaid gambling winnings. Keep in mind, he owed 3,300 dollars total and had 3,000 in cash at the time he messaged me. Something didn't seem right..

I declined and inquired if maybe his mom or siblings could help him instead. I have the money to help him but I'm not going to enable his irresponsibility with legal obligations. While taxation may be theft, we are still required to file a return and pay what is owed to us. It really irritated me that he didn't report these winnings for 7 years and then he has to scramble for the money when the piper comes calling. I find it more disconcerting that he didn't ask his family first. His situation with his family is not strained so I'm not sure why he came to me first. I initially thought his phone was stolen and this was some kind of scam to get me to come somewhere and give him the money and then I get robbed or something.

I did learn though that the IRS can suspend your license if you don't pay back taxes.
Yeah fuck that dipshit, lol

It's too bad more companies don't locate in the suburbs- yes it's less accessible to a broader group of potential employees, but the employees you have can easily relocate due to lower real estate costs and an office park is surely a fuckton cheaper than renting out two floors of a downtown corporate office building. Hell, you can probably pay your employees a little less too since they are in a lower stress environment, more will live in houses instead of shitty apartments, etc.
My guess is partly switching costs (esp. risk of losing good people by moving outside their commute range) and partly competing for that pool of executive/senior talent that lives in the city and gets paid so damn much the rent differential is relatively inconsequential.

Last edited:

unscrew that bad boy and take out the hard drive. hd shouldn't be affected unless it was powered on/powered on after it was soaked. then you can plug it in somewhere, with or without an adapter, and should be good