Themed Mixtape Game

Possessed - 7/10 I like a lot of early death metal, and this is good but not great, the riffs are severely lacking compared to say Death. I'll give it a 7 because it's impressive for 1985.

Zombie Holocaust - 7/10 This is pretty entertaining tbh. "Boba Fett He's fucking rad, he's fucking sick, he's Boba Fett" - best line. Feels like something my band would have created in high school.

Dokken - 4/10 Wrong mixtape. Shitty chorus. Guitar riffs are okay. Annoying that the film clips are audible at times.

Rev Biz - 5/10 Ok that's enough now. I'm going to start downrating this band along with SV and Carnivore. Show me some new or at least different music or get downrated.

Hexx - 8/10 Damn the first song on this was killer. Took awhile for me to realize we're only listening to the 2nd song. It's decent as well. Never heard this EP before, Thanks.

Crydebris - 6/10 Emo Anime Metalcore? OK, well at least it's different. Being generous here.

Death - 9/10 Yesss. Why aren't they in the Hall of Fame yet? I need to get that going for this month.

Godflesh - 3/10 Meh. This song could work as an intro if it was like 30 seconds long or less.

Satan's Host - 6/10 It's okay. I like the effort of the vocalist, and some of the bass lines. Feels try-hardy/wannabe though. Having "Satan" in your name doesn't automatically make you legit like some seem to think. -1 point for that really gay "oohooohoohhh" Iron Maiden/Power Metal part.

Blood Freak - 7/10 Haven't seen any grindcore on here in awhile. The genre has enough in common with crossover/thrash to be somewhat interesting to me. The guitar is pretty repetitive here though, and the vocals aren't my favorite. Actually ends too quickly imo.

Blood Farmers - 5/10 This is the boring kind of doom metal. At least stoner has that experimental/trippy aspect, or for example Black Sabbath and Trouble have some faster parts mixed in. This is like, the guitarist took a bunch of sedatives and wants to go to sleep, but is trying to stay awake and play guitar. And the band is babying him. Only made it through 4 minutes, yawn.

Blind Guardian - 6/10 The first 1 minute was great actually. Annnd it's all downhill from there. Really gay singalong to the chorus power metal bs. +1 point for the intro.

Deicide - 8/10 This was overall really fucking cool death metal. -1 point for the weird/distracting backup vocalist. Capable musicians.

Witchfinder General - 8/10 I dig this actually. Good speed for doom metal, good vocalist. Not too much focus on the chorus. Solid guitar solo and riffs throughout. Good variety, not too long. Thumbs up!

Iced Earth - 6/10 Intro was cool. I have a hard time getting into this band outside of their debut.

ratings pt. 2:

Satan's Host - Strongest of the Night

It's not peak Satan's Host, but it is Satan's Host. +1 point for that really heterosexual "oohooohoohhh" Iron Maiden/Power Metal part.
8/10

Blood Freak - Gobble Up Your Guts
Not something I'd normally listen to but I quite like this. These badass, simplistic riffs remind me of Barathrum, though the bands are otherwise dissimilar.
7/10

Blood Farmers - Headless Eyes
Haven't heard this before but I was really glad it was 11 minutes long. Sinister as fuck.
8/10

Blind Guardian - Time What is Time
6/10

Deicide - Dead By Dawn
I had no idea death metal could be this death metal
9/10

Witchfinder General - Witchfinder General
8/10

Iced Earth - Damien
Maybe it's temporary brain damage, but I'm fucking loving this song right now. It's been a while since I saw the movie but going by my memories I feel like this is a perfect adaptation, badass, campy, sinister and full of gravitas all at once. If I was the antichrist I would be proud to adopt this as my personal leitmotif. And I love the lyrics, I just get such a huge boner when anything is anchored to the past or to mythology, I wish every metal song had jews returning to Zion and comets filling the sky and roman empires rising. Barlow's sounding fucking amazing here too.
EDIT: I'm bumping this up to a 10 because it's also incredibly on-theme I fucking want to.
10/10

Last edited:
You didn't want to go see Sabbath? Sure, Bill Ward wasn't on the roster, but I very much doubt the man's health would've permitted him to take on a 15 song setlist of some of rock's most intense drumming (where the only breaks would be Ozzy's rants in between songs), not to mention if he wanted to pull off a solo like Clufetos does (which he's more than capable of skill-wise, but his health would hold him down these days).

Last edited:
It's just that Sabbath are the Godfathers of Metal, not even The Beatles can say they invented an entire genre of music for Christ's sake. To me that and the fact that it's 75% of the original, classic lineup alone justifies the cost. And they played so many old classics too. We got almost all of Paranoid, including Hand of Doom (my favorite from the album along with Electric Funeral, which, sadly, wasn't played) which they haven't played on tour since '78. That and Ozzy was pretty vibrant for his condition these days, he only had issues singing in key on a couple songs and waltzed around the stage well enough (plenty of good humor and f bombs too). Tony and Geezer were epic and virtusoic as per usual. Tommy Clufetos launched an impressive drum solo, he's no Bill Ward, but the man's got extreme chops.

Last edited:
I'd only see AC/DC if it was <$25 per ticket. Sabbath or Priest, thats different... especially now that times pretty well running out.

You passed on AC/DC? Seriously? I go every time I get the chance, they still hit nearly every note, and Angus is still a human fucking thunderbolt. I won't be going anymore now that Axl has taken over sadly. Those are some good memories though, one of rock 'n' roll's finest bands.

Possessed - The Exorcist
Better than I remember them being. Tremolo picked parts were cool. Would headbang 7/10

Boba Fett - Zombie Holocaust

Pretty shitty crossover. 4/10

Dokken - Dream Warriors

I'll be entertained easily by some cheesy 80s rock usually, but this was just pedestrian and boring 3/10

Reverend Bizarre - Blood on Satan's Claw

Haven't heard anything from these guys so far that justifies the group jizzfest. Still way too long also. 4/10

Hexx - Sardonicus (no youtube of the song, only the EP - click the timestamp in the video info)

Not bad, liked the first song better though 6.5/10

Crydebris - Mononoke Picture

B-grade feels metal is a no 2/10

Death - Evil Dead

Not one of the better songs on the album. 6/10

Godflesh - Dream Long Dead

Classic early industrial 8/10

Satan's Host - Strongest of the Night

Terrible vocals, production, musicianship and songwriting. Wow 2/10

Blood Freak - Gobble Up Your Guts Part 2 Revenge Of The Turkey Monster

This was fun 8/10

Blood Farmers - Headless Eyes

Pretty cool Sabbathy doom 7/10

Blind Guardian - Time What Is Time

A couple of cool riffs in here but mostly cheese hell 4/10

Deicide - Dead By Dawn

Devastating as the day it came out 10/10

Witchfinder General - Witchfinder General

Horrible. 2/10

Iced Earth - Damien

Bad. 3/10

Speaking of things I can hardly wait for, I'm amped up to help vote in the next class for the Hall of Fame whenever you feel the time is right Baroque.