Themed Mixtape Game

It's just that Sabbath are the Godfathers of Metal, not even The Beatles can say they invented an entire genre of music for Christ's sake. To me that and the fact that it's 75% of the original, classic lineup alone justifies the cost. And they played so many old classics too. We got almost all of Paranoid, including Hand of Doom (my favorite from the album along with Electric Funeral, which, sadly, wasn't played) which they haven't played on tour since '78. That and Ozzy was pretty vibrant for his condition these days, he only had issues singing in key on a couple songs and waltzed around the stage well enough (plenty of good humor and f bombs too). Tony and Geezer were epic and virtusoic as per usual. Tommy Clufetos launched an impressive drum solo, he's no Bill Ward, but the man's got extreme chops.
I was disappointed that they didn't play Symptom of the Universe, Killing Yourself to Live or A National Acrobat but apart from that the set list ruled. The drummer was a bit Tommy Lee but he definitely gave them more energy. I noticed Ozzy had two screens in front of him with the lyrics scrolling for each song. Pretty funny.

I was disappointed that they didn't play Symptom of the Universe, Killing Yourself to Live or A National Acrobat but apart from that the set list ruled. The drummer was a bit Tommy Lee but he definitely gave them more energy. I noticed Ozzy had two screens in front of him with the lyrics scrolling for each song. Pretty funny.
That was too bad, especially because Sabotage is my favorite Sabbath album. But I'm half glad they didn't do those songs too, because those feature some of Ozzy's most intense vocals ever, he would've simply embarrassed himself trying for those high power fifth octave notes these days. I agree on Clufetos' drumming, but he's impressive (I guess Ted Nugent, Ozzy, and Alice Cooper hired him for a reason). Yeah, Ozzy's always had a tough time with remebering lyrics for whatever reason, I didn't catch the screens when I saw them, our venue must've hidden them better or something.

Last edited:
Ozzy has never hit those notes anywhere but the studio, so it's not really an issue. He was in borderline top form vocally when he performed for us. The lyric screens didn't at all take away from the power of the show, he didn't fumble a single line interestingly enough (I would've caught him if he did, I've been a diehard Sabbath fan since the 70's). Clufetos is a tiny bit Tommy Lee, but not enough to significantly detract from the show.

Possessed - The Exorcist
8/10
The song would score higher on its own merits, especially for that sinister tremolo melody. However, since I'm familiar with the film, I can say that it doesn't really connect much with the movie aside from sampling Tubular Bells at the beginning. Sampling movie soundtracks strikes me as a copout in terms of creating a song that captures the feel of the film. It's a small quibble, not enough to deduct heavily, but enough to keep it from the top.

Boba Fett - Zombie Holocaust
6.5/10
I like the riff introduced about 18 seconds in, but the song is basically just sophomoric fanboy gushing over a character, with that chorus of "Boba Fett he's fucking rad."

Dokken - Dream Warriors
8/10
I first heard this song this past New Year's Eve as covered by Iron Diamond. Glam metal can be well done, and this is a good example. The chorus is simple, yet anthemic.

Reverend Bizarre - Blood on Satan's Claw
8/10
This is the first I've heard tell of the movie on which this one is based, so I have zero frame of reference in that respect. It's also the first Rev Biz song I've heard feature falsettos like this, and I'm not sure how I feel about them. However, it's well put-together in general

Hexx - Sardonicus (no youtube of the song, only the EP - click the timestamp in the video info)
7/10
The layered vocals are the most noteworthy aspect of it, adding a layer of menace to what is otherwise fairly standard. It ends on a high note, though.

Crydebris - Mononoke Picture
6.5/10
It's really not that bad. Although the clean vocals fall somewhat into whiny emocore territory, they are not nearly as bad as they could have been.

Death - Evil Dead
8/10
This is solid primordial death metal, appealing in its simplicity, and the melodic lead intro is a nice touch.

Godflesh - Dream Long Dead
6/10
So I guess this is one of the big names in industrial metal. The industrial aspects are neat, but not enough to make it consistently engaging.

Satan's Host - Strongest of the Night
5.5/10
Maybe it's just the youtube for this song, but the muddled production does this no favors. It's okay, I guess, but certainly not enough to make me overlook the sound quality.

Blood Freak - Gobble Up Your Guts Part 2 Revenge Of The Turkey Monster
6/10
It delivers well for what it is, and it's pretty matches the tone for what I would expect for a film of said title.

Blood Farmers - Headless Eyes
7.5/10
Some solid, crushing, mildly impressive doom metal.

Blind Guardian - Time What Is Time
9/10
If you don't like Blind Guardian, chances are you just don't like melody in general. I've never seen Blade Runner, and this is my first time realizing that the song was based on it.

Deicide - Dead By Dawn
9/10
Early Deicide was just in a league of its own, mainly on account of Glen Benton's demonic vocals. It's cheesy, but genuinely infernal in its execution; thus it matches the comedic horror tone of Evil Dead II rather well.

Witchfinder General - Witchfinder General
7.5/10
I guess it's a good thing this song didn't get used up already by the eponymous playlist. It's a solid example of early doom, but not as memorable a song as "Burning a Sinner."

Iced Earth - Damien
9/10
Really captures the feel of the movie with the Latin chanting at the beginning, without simply lifting from the film score itself and sampling Ave Satani. What's more, ominous Latin/Greek/whatever chanting is a favored trope of mine, and it's nice that they used some real Latin this time, as opposed to just gibberish like in "Dante's Inferno", even if it's still just random words.

You didn't want to go see Sabbath? Sure, Bill Ward wasn't on the roster, but I very much doubt the man's health would've permitted him to take on a 15 song setlist of some of rock's most intense drumming (where the only breaks would be Ozzy's rants in between songs), not to mention if he wanted to pull off a solo like Clufetos does (which he's more than capable of skill-wise, but his health would hold him down these days).
I wanted to go quite a bit. But sadly my finances and circumstances (I was going to be homeless if I didn't save money, since my old roommate just up and bailed on me) dictated that was an impossibility. It is something I will regret until the end of time.

I had a thought; going forward, wouldn't it make sense to make a new thread for every new round? Would make it easier to find playlists/ratings/results for older rounds, and users can see when new rounds start without religiously checking this thread.

I had a thought; going forward, wouldn't it make sense to make a new thread for every new round? Would make it easier to find playlists/ratings/results for older rounds, and users can see when new rounds start without religiously checking this thread.

100% support for this idea!

I thought about this when the game first started, but then I thought how useful it is to have them all in the same thread. If there's a thread for a each then the older ones will die and it'll be harder to find the playlists again for the themes if people want to look back at them.

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
I wanted to go quite a bit. But sadly my finances and circumstances (I was going to be homeless if I didn't save money, since my old roommate just up and bailed on me) dictated that was an impossibility. It is something I will regret until the end of time.
That blows. Your life is more important than any concert though.